The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

which TQ converter and where to get it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedracer91

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2004
Rockford, Michigan
i've decided to embrace the auto and get a shift kit and hopefully a torque converter (sometime) and i was wondering which one i should get....p.s. i have every intention to get 400+ hp now i have a Mbc @ 15psi, free mods, manual engine (cams and injectors), bpr 6es's thats it...

speedracer91 said:
i've decided to embrace the auto and get a shift kit and hopefully a torque converter (sometime) and i was wondering which one i should get....p.s. i have every intention to get 400+ hp now i have a Mbc @ 15psi, free mods, manual engine (cams and injectors), bpr 6es's thats it...

Hello Speed,

Welcome to the world of Auto DSM's!! The first thing you have to do is make sure your trans is in better than fair shape. Does it shift smooth from gear to gear under light acceleration? Does it downshift smoothly when stopping for a light or traffic? Have you changed the ATF recently? Does the OD work when it should? If you can answer yes to all these questions then you are ready for the shift kit and end clutches. If you answered NO to any of these questions you should consider having the trans serviced first. The stock Mitsubishi auto trans is fairly tough, and can handle about 300+ crank HP without major problems.

OK, now that we have some basics covered, I'll get to the good stuff. If you take a look at my mod list, you'll see that I have a long list of upgrades. Before I ordered my HI-Stall TQ converter from IPT, My car was making 248AWHP on a B16g turbo on the stock trans for over a year. That's about 325 crank HP without a problem from my trans. When I upgraded to the PTE turbo and FMIC, I knew my car was going to be making near 400+ crank HP and the trans was going to need some TLC. That is when I called John at IPT and asked for a re-stalled stock TQ converter, I also asked him to upograde my shift kit to IPT's kit, and for good measure I installed the largest trans cooler I could fit in the stock SMIC location. All this work was done in preperation for the Mitsubishi Day at Englishtown back in April. Unfortunately, the event was rained out and I have not had a chance to run the car at a track to get a new timeslip. My Butt dyno tells me that the car pulls much harder through all the gears. The biggest advantage/improvement now is that I can hold the brakes till 4000rpm and spool the turbo to 13-15psi for my launch. WOW is that fun!!!!!

It has been said in other posts, about TQ converters, "it was the best mod for the money for an auto". I second that Quote, It has made a huge improvement in how my car feels. I suggest you do all the "free mods" then follow the stage 1 upgrade path, you'll see that the Trans upgrades are at the end of the list, I say get the shift kit and end clutches around step 4, but wait on the TQ till later if money is a factor.

Hope this helps you decide on an upgrade path. If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a PM. Also check out the forums at http://www.importperformancetrans.com/
You'll find more info there and parts that you can order for your trans.

I'll be posting a review of my IPT trans upgrades here on Tuners as soon as I get to the track and have some timeslips to show off.

Good luck on your upgrades.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back