The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Which TEIN setup to go with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1997 Eclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 3, 2003
Manila, Asia
I have been looking to upgrade to the TEIN SHocks and coilovers. I see that they have three ditfferent setups
1. Basic
2. SS
3. Flex

I have been trying to find out what is the difference (besides price) but am not able to do so. Can someone out there help me. Also what springs do they use?

Dan

basic - height adjustable
ss - hieght/damper adjustable - made more for track/street
flex - height/damper adjustable, works with edfc and is more for street/softer ride. - although people say you can make it really stiff

flex is also shock body height adjustable

Is the $350 - 400 worth it to go from a SS to a Flex? I am currently looking at the SS. I currently have stock spring and Tokico Illumina. Is it worth to change the whole suspension or save $500 and get the Ground Control coilovers?

Dan

flex also has upper pillowball mounts

If you are going to run serious spring-rates - such as 550+ fronts - on a 2G that has been lowered, then you really want pillowball fronts with coaxial springhats. Unless, of course, you really enjoy rebuilding shocks.

- Jtoby

Please don't do that.

We're on the edge of having an intelligent conversation about when and why pillowballs are worth the extra money and you go and drag it down to "I'm too lazy to do a search, can someone tell me where to buy these...." This is a vendor-supported site. Just click on parts and look for yourself.

- Jtoby

Originally posted by jtmcinder
Please don't do that.

We're on the edge of having an intelligent conversation about when and why pillowballs are worth the extra money and you go and drag it down to "I'm too lazy to do a search, can someone tell me where to buy these...." This is a vendor-supported site. Just click on parts and look for yourself.

- Jtoby

Dude pull your head out you ####ing ass. Who said i haven’t bin searching for the best price. I’m about to place my dam order today and just though I would put it out there and see if anyone wanted to recommend a vendor that has a good price and customer service.

The topic on why pollowballs may or may not be worth the extra cash has bin discussed numerous times so why not tell the guy to do a search? If my post bothered you so much why didn’t you just ignore it and continue on with your discussion?

Next time I guess I'll omit the "please."

Forgive me, also, for not being able to locate any good discussions of when and why pillowballs are important. If you get a chance to post some links, that would be appreciated. I'd like to read them.

- Jtoby

Originally posted by cornbread
Dude pull your head out you ####ing ass. Who said i haven’t bin searching for the best price. I’m about to place my dam order today and just though I would put it out there and see if anyone wanted to recommend a vendor that has a good price and customer service.

The topic on why pollowballs may or may not be worth the extra cash has bin discussed numerous times so why not tell the guy to do a search? If my post bothered you so much why didn’t you just ignore it and continue on with your discussion?

Uh calm down. You CAN search just like he said. I think we both know you are too lazy to do a search.

P.S. Learn how to spell.

www.slowboyracing.com has pretty good prices on their Tein stuff, and their customer service and shipping is top notch. I'm getting my Tein Flex's from them when I finish putting the money together.

Originally posted by sjwelna
www.slowboyracing.com has pretty good prices on their Tein stuff, and their customer service and shipping is top notch. I'm getting my Tein Flex's from them when I finish putting the money together.

Thanks sj, SBR was at the top of my list I was just looking for a few more options. I placed my order with them yesterday for the Tein SS. .

Jt now you can get back to your "intelligent conversation" :thumb:

Thanks for the comments. Probably go with the SS. Cornbread, after you install them, can you get back to us with comments. Anybody can help me on the question:

"Is the $350 - 400 worth it to go from a SS to a Flex? I am currently looking at the SS. I currently have stock spring and Tokico Illumina. Is it worth to change the whole suspension or save $500 and get the Ground Control coilovers?"

Dan

It really depends on what your trying to get out of your suspension. IMO
both are great upgrades to what you currently have. To try to answer your question try this link http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=884451#post884451.. It shows some of the benefits of the upper pillowball mount. Jtoby has many excellent posts relating to 2g dsm suspenion. I'm glad we have someone so knowledgable in this forum.
Do a search and check out some of his posts, they all contain great info I'm sure you can use.

Please people, don't flame guys like JToby, he is one of the few intelligent people left on the suspension forum and Tuners really can't afford to loose anymore. Posting crap like that really makes people NOT want to help the beginners. So in other words, learn who your flaming before you get your panties in a twist...

the basic isn't much more of an upgrade from what you already have.
unless your just looking to slam your car. again its all up to what your trying to accomplish with your suspension set up.

Hello

Someone has Tein SS for sale on the trader here... Umm Go look really good deal on them. Brand new in box full warrenty. Hint Hint Wink Wink say no more..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back