The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which Should I Fix First

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96eclipsespydergst

Probationary Member
Oct 25, 2012
Fox Lake, Illinois
Ok to clear up my first Post is I have multiple problems with my vehicle as of right now

Info about car
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS-T 4g63t
Aftermarket Intake
Rest is Stock as far as I Know
Car has some items that look like they have been replaced from junkyard valve cover, cam cover

Now onto the Problems
1. I have a bad turbo leaking coolant and oil down through my exhaust
2. I have oil leaking from multiple points around the engine
2.1 Leaking from the valve cover which throws oil onto the valve cover
2.2 leaking from the oil cooler or around that area could be from oil pump and running down to the oil cooler

My main question is Which should I fix first? I know both are very important to fix.

Items I am looking to upgrade
Oil pump to get rid of the balance shafts
turbo from the factory to a 16g

I am not sure if my engine is the 6 bolt or 7 bolt. but know there is a difference between parts between both case in point the oil cooler and oil pump are different.

Oh and I forgot the Vehicle has 207 000 Miles on the body but not sure if the engine has all them on it or not. with everything that has gone wrong with the car

Are you on a strict budget and not trying to do both at the same time? Honestly that would be the best route, since you need to replace the turbo and fix a ton of oil leaks you should do them at the same time. Buying all your gaskets in a kit will save some money, and having the turbo out to replace it will give you a lot of room to check everything out while your there.

I would personally hold out on the 16g. When I first got my gsx I was in the same boat, vacuum leaks, lack of maintenance etc etc. Get that baby running right then upgrade... BTW a 14b is a pretty decent upgrade from a t-25 when your ready.

Depends on how long it will be between steps.

Do all the maintenance that you can at the same time. Seals at the same time as oil pump, etc., to save on additional labor costs.

Do the turbo after the leaks are sorted in case it reveals other issues. That way you can budget those repairs before the turbo or compromise and get a used replacement to keep you going until you are ready for the 16g.

Gl

Fix the turbo first, recommend a 14 b for now. Then all the leaks one by one, then do ALL the maintenance. Good luck.

If I had to do them one at a time I would do the leaks first then turbo. No point in on putting a bigger turbo on it your still leaking oil from other places. Then when you swap you'll be good to go. All of these combined can be done in a few hours on a weekend afternoon.

How do you know the oil/coolant isn't a bigger problem like a bad headgasket or valve seals? Id start with a compression test.

I have done a compresion test not a leak down test yet and didnt have enough oil loss before the turbo smoked

My budget is putting each repair around a month to two months to fix... and is really strict like $ 100 a month...

The car is a daily driver at the moment. No second car to switch to
I have been filling my oil about 1 qt a week to week and half now since turbo vs around 1 qt a month.

I have been filling coolant once to twice a week just to keep it topped off.

I wonder since turbo is gone is why my oil is leaking worse around engine due to exhaust going out through my turbo drain pushing more out my leaks

Could i block off my coolant and oil lines and just bypass the turbo to fix other problems and replace the turbo later

Oh and just today turbo is starting to sound like its dry or something making a whistling/ spooling sound..

Last edited:
fixes the oil leaks first and do the maintenance then check your turbo for shaft play and if it spins freely

good luck bro

I would fix turbo first, oil/coolant down your downpipe doesn't sound like fun. If you aren't losing too much oil from the other places around your engine then I would worry about the turbo taking a complete crap on you. If the blades get destroyed and go into your oil passage etc.. that will be more of a costly problem (directly). I guess one could argue that having constantly low oil/low oil pressure may cause damage as well, but turbo seems like the most immediate danger.

I swapped a 14b turbo for maybe $75 total, I just bent the coolant lines and modified the 2g oil return line to fit the 14b.

For your valve cover leaking on your cover...are your spark plug bolts in all the way/do you have them at all? I don't understand what you mean by valve cover leaking on valve cover unless you have a crack somewhere.

the valve cover has oil in where the spark plugs go but are not flooding any of my cylinders.. only 2 things can cause oil up there for what I found

1 oil cap
2 valve cover gasket spark grommets

I am pretty sure its the circle gasket grommet thing on cylinder 4 I have a bit of oil on the upper part of the spark plug but that's it..

Now onto the updates...

I have decided to go and rebuild the turbo if and when I break the turbo open and its totally gone I will need to replace it... but crossing fingers on the rebuild fixing the problems....

I have also decided the next part is to fix all the other leaks.. by getting a gasket kit as well as a new oil pump just incase there is a leak there.. Id rather have the parts and not need them than tearing apart the engine and finding I am needing them.. as well as since I have the Timing belt off Going to replace that, and the water pump... don't know when or if they have been replaced so rather have it and not need it....

Now onto the updates...

I have decided to go and rebuild the turbo if and when I break the turbo open and its totally gone I will need to replace it... but crossing fingers on the rebuild fixing the problems....

I have also decided the next part is to fix all the other leaks.. by getting a gasket kit as well as a new oil pump just incase there is a leak there.. Id rather have the parts and not need them than tearing apart the engine and finding I am needing them.. as well as since I have the Timing belt off Going to replace that, and the water pump... don't know when or if they have been replaced so rather have it and not need it....

id get that turbo fixed 1st then slowly do the other stuff and keep an eye on you oil and carry some with you your car can run and drive with oil leaks as long as they are minor but its not going to move if that turbo lets go. PM jusmx141 he can rebuild the turbo for you or sell you a reliable turbo for a good price.

this should help you fix some of the problems

STM: OEM MITSUBISHI ENGINE OIL CAP GASKET | EVO VIII-IX | EVO X | 90-99 DSM | 3000GT | MD311638

STM: OEM MITSUBISHI SPARK PLUG WELL GASKET | 90-99 DSM | MD125940

STM: OEM MITSUBISHI OIL FILTER HOUSING GASKET | MD149370 | MD185528

if your doing all this do a BSE while your at it for preventative maintinance. itll cause an increase in oil pressure so you should port the oil relief port. you cant buy just the oil pump itslef you need to buy the whole front case if you just want to replace the gaskets that is more cost effective as your oil pump is most likely perfectly fine.

I rolled around for a year in my gst with a blown t25 untill emissions then upgraded to a b16g

If the turbos making noise it's shot. Can find a used t25s REALLY cheap in the classifieds or you can get a 14b for about 100+ install kit. Do not bypass the turbo. Could screw things up WAY worse!

You can block the oil/ coolant lines and remove the compressor and center section of the turbo just leave the exhaust housing bolt a plate overs were the center section use to be and connect a hose from your maf to ## lower intercooler pipe an drive it turbo less if in a bind done that before .

I would start with oil leaks at the top of engine, since it can look like other seals are leaking when it's just a bad valve cover gasket. Also anything that could leak oil onto the timing belt should be dealt with first. No sense in replacing belt and have oil leaking on it and wrecking it. If the turbo is bad enough don't hit boost or drive it if possible.if that blows then could take out the engine..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back