1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Which motor for resale pricing?

Posted by bcjjones, Jan 12, 2014

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Well I will probably be getting out of the dsm game for a while. Just until I can afford it as a project rather then a DD.

My motor needs a complete rebuilt bottom end. I have a stock rebuilt cylinder head. I am just going to buy a rebuilt one from someone here on the forums. I have found two options. One being a completely stock rebuild with around 15k miles. Has receipts and a build thread here on the site. The other is a built motor, with weisco 8:5.1 pistons eagle h-beam rods, brian crower springs and retainers with the same amount of mileage. Has all the receipts and pictures of the build.

Now the questions is, I can get the completely stock one for 1000 bucks shipped, maybe a little less with some negotiations. He's pretty firm though. While the built motor I can get shipped for 1400.

Is it worth the extra 400 bucks to get the built one? In yall's opinion will I make my money back versus the stock one? Or even possible make some money?

Thank you for any help or opinions!

2. GSXsnail

GSXsnail Probationary Member

Joined Nov 4, 2013
    Levittown, Pennsylvania
    I'm guessing they're both 6 bolts? I'd say just get the built one.

3. Insane20

Insane20 Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2012
    Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania
    How many miles on the built one?

1K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.100 @ 121.000 · 2G DSM
  4. gieri002

gieri002 Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2008
    Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota
    He said they have about the same amount of miles.

I'd go for the built motor as well.

5. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Kind of what I was thinking

I have a pretty clean, stock appearing 1991 GVR4. It has a walbro 255, FIC 950's, bastard 20g turbo, injen intake with maf and plug n play adapter, 1g vrsf front mount modified to fit, and an evo 8 ecu with plug n play harness. It also has an innovative wideband and autometer boost. Probabky forgetting a couple small things but thats most of it.

Interior is clean, paint is a little faded, everything's works.

I could try to sell it like it is, or fix it. Would y'all think investing the 1500 or so is worth it or could I sell it like it is sand come out about the same? What would y'all ask for it in the current non running condition?

6. gieri002

gieri002 Proven Member

Joined Feb 25, 2008
    Lake Minnetonka, Minnesota
    It depends, what exactly is wrong with the bottom end? Knocking/spun bearing?

7. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Piston rings are worn. Never spun a bearing or anything. Just low compression numbers, around 95-100 per cylinder. It still ran when the head was on it

Just didn't run very well