The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Which gasket kits are best? And how do i know if the oil pump still in good condition? On my 4g63 6 bolt 500hp goal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeclipse

Probationary Member
Mar 23, 2022
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey yooo! Im almost getting my block and head from the machine shop! I was just wondering. I see the cometic gasket kit where there is pretty much everything i need for the seals and o rings and gaskets, are these recomended? Or should i buy em 1 by 1 like fell pros and stuff?

And also can anyone point me to a direction on how to see if my oil pump and housing is still in good reusable condition. I bought this engine rebuilt with the balancer deletes but i wanna make sure its in good shape? Ill replace the seals forsure but what about those gears?

Same goes to the timing automatic tensioner? How do i know its still good?

Im replacing the waterpumps and thermostats forsure and all 0 rings based on the gasket kits list. What else should i replace? I just dont wanna go back again after its done and in the car.

For gaskets- OEM is best, there are several supporting vendors down below that you can get them from. Some of them also sell the aftermarket brands if you’d like to try those out.

If you go to the resource section of this site, you will find a maintenance guide, and inside there you’ll find a link to a pdf of the service manual for your car. You’re gonna want to save this to your phone for reference while working on it.

However, Here’s a video with all you would ever want to know about 4g oil pumps:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

On a fresh build, I would want a fresh tensioner. Again, OEM is best if you can find one available.

For gaskets- OEM is best, there are several supporting vendors down below that you can get them from. Some of them also sell the aftermarket brands if you’d like to try those out.

If you go to the resource section of this site, you will find a maintenance guide, and inside there you’ll find a link to a pdf of the service manual for your car. You’re gonna want to save this to your phone for reference while working on it.

However, Here’s a video with all you would ever want to know about 4g oil pumps:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

On a fresh build, I would want a fresh tensioner. Again, OEM is best if you can find one available.
Ok i might do an oem but the kit is 300 bucks including the head gasket that i dont need stock. Would the cometic kit work the same? Its a 100 dollar with all. Or should i take time to pick the oems 1 by 1?. Thanks for that youtube link! Its very helpfull. What are other alternative tensioner if i cant find an oem one?

Ok i might do an oem but the kit is 300 bucks including the head gasket that i dont need stock. Would the cometic kit work the same? Its a 100 dollar with all. Or should i take time to pick the oems 1 by 1?. Thanks for that youtube link! Its very helpfull. What are other alternative tensioner if i cant find an oem one?
It works the same, until it doesn’t. There’s decades of people’s opinions that go both ways all over this site. Some of the recommended companies still exist, some don’t. Some maybe have changed their manufacturer or supplier over the 10-15 years since a post was written. You will have to decide based on your budget and tolerance for having to repair leaks later (or sooner).

For the tensioner, we don’t know what engine you have to even help try to find one (1g/2g 6/7 bolt?). All we know is two things: that you’ve spent money at a machine shop, and that you don’t want to have to go back and redo stuff. Based on those two things, my suggestion is to spend a little more time and money getting the right parts for your build so you can enjoy it for longer later. The recommendation for using OEM on the tensioner is much stronger than with gaskets.

Edit: I see I missed in the title that it’s a 6 bolt. Last I read, The 6 bolt tensioners are on backorder from Mitsubishi currently. Here’s a thread about their availability.

RTM racing in Canada also shows stock and looks like they sell them outside of a kit.

Last edited:
Spend a few hours watching jafromobile’s channel on YouTube, it’s something that every DSM owner should do. He walks you through the oil pump inspection procedure and gives a very detailed rundown on how to do the small stuff (including what gaskets to use, and why). There are lists of part numbers for individual gaskets, you don’t need to buy the whole kit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back