The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Which DSM should I get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pointblank9957

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2012
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
I have $2500 to spend and am looking for an Eclipse. I have found several so far but i need help choosing which one to get..

Choices:

-95 GSX AWD Turbo 5spd Manual (needs new trans but comes with it; 5hr drive) - $2250
-98 GS Spyder Convertible 2.4L 5spd Auto (in town) - $2700 (can talk him down)
-95 GS 2.4L 5spd Auto - $2200 (2 hr drive)

I'd have to swap the trans in the GSX at my dad's friend's house. I mainly want a DSM to womp my stepdad's pos 2011 GS.

I'm thinkin GSX, but i dont really have alot of experience with trannys.. The only problem is that 2nd keeps popping out, so id have 5hrs of careful driving and skipping 2nd. It's also the so-called "rare" orange/gray color combo (i don't believe in "rare" color schemes)

Tell me what you guys think! I really want to get into DSM and Tuners in general, and for $2500 i can't really go wrong besides part failures.

Last edited:
-95 GSX AWD Turbo 5spd Manual (needs new trans but comes with it; 5hr drive) - $2250
Its easy to learn to do the trans , take your time mark your bolts ...Wow how i wish we has those prices ....1g awd's got for 3.5k-5k here ..

well the tranny wasnt that hard to get off when i did my clutch on my 1g gsx. id go for the gsx for sure. but being a 95 it most likley has the weaker 7bolt engine witch is prone to crank walk. they started using the 7bolt engines half way threw 92. so if you want performance go with a gsx, 1990-1992 1/2 would be your best bet. if you like the look of the 95-99 then thats your choice. but if you wanna go fast most will regret getting a non turbo. and awd FTW :hellyeah:

If you are wanting to get involved with the car get the GSX and never look back. You are going to have way more long term options in regard to what you can do with it.

If you are just wanting to get something to get you from A to B, then get the GSX anyways because it will at least be fun to get from A to B that way...

Its easy to learn to do the trans , take your time mark your bolts ...Wow how i wish we has those prices ....1g awd's got for 3.5k-5k here ..

Geez WTF that's alot..1g's here are like 1300-2500 and 500 if they dont run. But i suppose not many people here want that kind of car.. Its all about whose got the biggest truck up here which i think is stupid as hell
On craigslist there was a 93 1G TSi for 600 immaculate condition its just that it didnt run

Personally I'd go with the gsx. Tranny swap isn't that bad, I picked mine up needing a new clutch right off the bat, took me a weekend to swap it out the first time. $2250 sounds fair but, I'd still try to talk it down in price though especially because of the drive.

By The way guys, just gona use it as transport for now til i get a real job. So no heavy mods, maybe just cold air, catback, etc. no high compresson shit or internal mods. Atleast not yet. I need it to get to school and work.

Personally I'd go with the gsx. Tranny swap isn't that bad, I picked mine up needing a new clutch right off the bat, took me a weekend to swap it out the first time. $2250 sounds fair but, I'd still try to talk it down in price though especially because of the drive.

I did talk him down. He was at 2700 at first. And for 3500 he'll swap the trans and clean everything up on it. But i dont think its worth it if it isnt tough.

I would say to buy the one that looks like it has been taken care of the most then. You don't want it to break on you the next day. Maybe get it inspected. (I would still get the GSX though...)

But you are going to need to read ALOT about turbocharged cars if you do...

I'd suggest the Spyder GS if it's in good condition and runs strong.

A quick lesson on 2g DSM's:

Base/GS/RS- All have a 2.0 DOHC Non-turbo engine (420a). This is a Chrysler engine commonly found in Neon's. If we were playing dodgeball, this engine would be picked last (after the fat kid with elastic strap glasses).

GST/GSX- All have a 2.0 DOHC turbocharged engines (4g63). These are Mitsubishi engines that are very well known for their ability to crank out power with relatively little cash. They can also be a nightmare to keep running if abused (but isn't this the same with ALL cars?).

Spyder GS- The odd-ball of DSM's. It has a 2.4 SOHC engine commonly found in Galants (4g64). While quite slow in stock form, the extra .4 of displacement makes these engines incredible street machines once DOHC swapped and boosted. They can also be AWD swapped to put those 2.0's even farther in the rear view. They are also typically the most well cared for and reliable DSM's you can buy for under 4K.

So it would be a toss up between the GSX and the Spyder for me, I wouldn't even consider a 420a equipped DSM. If I wanted NT, I'd go for the Spyder. The GSX would require work right off the bat while the Spyder would run and drive (probably near problem free) until you learned more about DSM's, turbo's, etc. The Spyder would require quite a bit of work just to be as fast as the GSX, but would be well worth it in the end.

I'd suggest the Spyder GS if it's in good condition and runs strong.

A quick lesson on 2g DSM's:

Base/GS/RS- All have a 2.0 DOHC Non-turbo engine (420a). This is a Chrysler engine commonly found in Neon's. If we were playing dodgeball, this engine would be picked last (after the fat kid with elastic strap glasses).

GST/GSX- All have a 2.0 DOHC turbocharged engines (4g63). These are Mitsubishi engines that are very well known for their ability to crank out power with relatively little cash. They can also be a nightmare to keep running if abused (but isn't this the same with ALL cars?).

Spyder GS- The odd-ball of DSM's. It has a 2.4 SOHC engine commonly found in Galants (4g64). While quite slow in stock form, the extra .4 of displacement makes these engines incredible street machines once DOHC swapped and boosted. They can also be AWD swapped to put those 2.0's even farther in the rear view. They are also typically the most well cared for and reliable DSM's you can buy for under 4K.

So it would be a toss up between the GSX and the Spyder for me, I wouldn't even consider a 420a equipped DSM. If I wanted NT, I'd go for the Spyder. The GSX would require work right off the bat while the Spyder would run and drive (probably near problem free) until you learned more about DSM's, turbo's, etc. The Spyder would require quite a bit of work just to be as fast as the GSX, but would be well worth it in the end.

like i said i'm not into heavy mods. the reliability goes to shit when theres alot of internal mods.

My 1g awd was free as long as I could get it running. :p

like i said i'm not into heavy mods. the reliability goes to shit when theres alot of internal mods.

The reliability can go to shit on a stock car as well. It's all how it's cared for and how well the parts are installed.

I'm running a built engine, built trans, tons of bolt-on's, and plan to push well over 20psi on a 16g turbo. Yet I drive it to work most of the week with little to no issues. So reliability isn't determined by modifications, it's determined by the owner.

every one ive talked to irl with a 420a seems to wanna do a engine swap or turbo it. the engine mounts are different on a 420a and a turbo kit with proper engine managment would cost as much as a gst or gsx. get the gsx, throw a clutch in there, make sure you always have oil in it, and dont redline it to much, and it shouldnt give you tomany problems. :cool:

every one ive talked to irl with a 420a seems to wanna do a engine swap or turbo it. the engine mounts are different on a 420a and a turbo kit with proper engine managment would cost as much as a gst or gsx. get the gsx, throw a clutch in there, make sure you always have oil in it, and dont redline it to much, and it shouldnt give you tomany problems. :cool:

The 2nd gear syncro is shot. And the rear left wheel bearing is screaming now. Bearings are like $30 rigght? He's giving me a new tranny so id just have to swap.

I say get the gsx. You're gonna regret not getting it if you choose one of the others. Awd and turbo is FUN. Tranny's are not very difficult. Just take your time and set out a full day to do it if it's your first time. Take pics through the whole process of removing so you know what goes where. Hope the "new" tranny is in working condition though. That would be my only concern. I've never done wheel bearings on a dsm but I think you can only get the hub assembly. This makes it easier actually. Either way I'd just get the hub anyways to make life easier LOL

The reliability can go to shit on a stock car as well. It's all how it's cared for and how well the parts are installed.

I'm running a built engine, built trans, tons of bolt-on's, and plan to push well over 20psi on a 16g turbo. Yet I drive it to work most of the week with little to no issues. So reliability isn't determined by modifications, it's determined by the owner.

You out of your mind to say modding doesn't effect reliability. It does. 99% of the time a car is half ass modded. Meaning throwing a turbo and injectors on and jacking the boost. This rapid increase in hp/tq most definitely takes its toll on other stock parts -- breaks, suspension, clutch ...ect. Just reading through even your own threads is evidence that you deal with issues when driving a modded car. You can not argue that a modded car is as reliable as a bone stock car.
Cheap, reliable, fast. Pick two.

You out of your mind to say modding doesn't effect reliability. It does. 99% of the time a car is half ass modded. Meaning throwing a turbo and injectors on and jacking the boost. This rapid increase in hp/tq most definitely takes its toll on other stock parts -- breaks, suspension, clutch ...ect. Just reading through even your own threads is evidence that you deal with issues when driving a modded car. You can not argue that a modded car is as reliable as a bone stock car.
Cheap, reliable, fast. Pick two.

i pick cheap and reliable. i'm getting the car for $2250 with a new tranny. it shouldnt be much of a problem if maintenance is kept.

and 215hp is plenty for driving to work and school and having a little fun on the lake in the winter.

Bad news guys.. The GSX is gone.. FUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now i'm lookin at a 90 Laser AWD Turbo

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back