The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Which coilover to buy 1Gb awd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantom_19

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2007
curacao, South_America
Hi
I have been looking at coilovers this whole day. Kind of researching which one suits my driving style. Right now the talon is on stock suspension and has about a hands length of fendergap. I want to lower it about 3 inches while retaining a good camber.
The car will be used in drag racing without slicks for now. Tire size will be about 225/40/17 max.
I looked at Ksport and Megan racing. Which one do you guys think will hold up through the test of time?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think it's mostly personal preference. I run KSports on my 1G FWD, because it the was best deal at the time. They are incredibly stiff, but it fixed almost all of my wheel hop issues and I haven't even started tuning the suspension at all. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either, they are both good brands IMO.

I expect jtmcinder to jump in here and explain why those options are junk.

I have researched the Koni Yellow options for a while, but of course the rear 1G shocks are discontinued. So I emailed Koni and asked if a group-buy would reinstate manufacture of the part and they responded with wanting a 100-car run to do it. So I guess that's out.

Currently researching a Bilstein DIY coilover setup.

I'd also highly recommend Koni shocks paired with Ground Control coilover sleeves over any of the ones mentioned above.

The 1g AWD rears are discontinued, yes, but you can in fact use the 2g rears in their place. They actually bolt right up and have an added bonus that you can adjust them from the top, unlike the original 1g awd rears where you had to take them off to adjust them.

I'm running that exact setup and posted a Tech Article that hopefully answers any questions about what you need.

2g Rear Koni Shocks on 1g AWD

The 1g AWD rears are discontinued, yes, but you can in fact use the 2g rears in their place. They actually bolt right up and have an added bonus that you can adjust them from the top, unlike the original 1g awd rears where you had to take them off to adjust them.

2g Rear Koni Shocks on 1g AWD

Dear God, where have you been all my life talonDSMerr? If I had known this, I would already be running the setup. I even have a 2G in the driveway...never thought to look!

Any idea if the valving is the same between the 1G/2G Koni Yellows?

Thanks....for real!

Dear God, where have you been all my life talonDSMerr? If I had known this, I would already be running the setup. I even have a 2G in the driveway...never thought to look!

Thanks....for real!

Glad I could be of help!

I can't say I know if the valving is the same between the two, nor do I have the money or equipment to find out. What I did find out through research before I tried this setup was that the motion ratio between the 1g awd rear and 2g rear are relatively close.

That being said, compared to the K-sports I had before, the Koni's make my car feel like the suspension switched from having the damping rate of a solid metal bar, to a sporty feel I can compare to a MkV GTI. It's all subjective but the difference to me is so huge, I feel the urge to go out of my way and try to convince DSMer's to go with Koni/GC instead of K-sports, Megans, etc.

Thanks....for real!
I replied to you with this info in another thread where you mentioned Koni's reply to your question. Seems we should throw this info into our 1g Road Racing/Autocrossing upgrade path in the Tech guide.

I replied to you with this info in another thread where you mentioned Koni's reply to your question. Seems we should throw this info into our 1g Road Racing/Autocrossing upgrade path in the Tech guide.

Yes, which was a 2G thread and I bailed out on. I engaged TalonDSMerr for the rest of the details on his setup. His write-up and the old VFAQ article pretty much explains it all.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Please explain.

I'll take Jtoby's place, and say that the Ksport, BC, Megan, and what ever else are junk. And that is the truth. You might be able to take them apart and play with the valving to get them better, but the durability simply isn't there.

If you want real coil overs, get good stuff from someone like DMS, or Hotbits ect, they are every expensive. Otherwise a set of GCC's and Koni yellows are a better investment than any of the other options. Even KYB AGX's/GCC's are probably better.

Products
I'd have there 5 way's if I didn't have $5k worth of other shit to buy.

NASA championship car that won 8 out of 9 races did it on BC coilovers. They've never had a failure.

NASA championship car that won 8 out of 9 races did it on BC coilovers. They've never had a failure.

LOL. That doesn't mean they are good, and that also doesn't mean his lap times wouldn't have improved with better suspension. Also, were they used as delivered?
Or did the team spend time re-valving them.

Absolutely it does. You stated they weren't reliable, and since road racing with 245 R Compound tires is massive stress on suspension I would say being able to tolerate that all season is quite an achievement.

They were valved by BC, and had higher spring rate BC springs on them. It doesn't cost anything extra to select your own valving/springs either, that's bad ass.

Do you have proof that the exact same set of shocks were used all season? No swapping out whatsoever? You can't judge reliability with a race team, since parts are being changed depending on driver feedback or track conditions.

I'd still trust a set of Muerllerized JIC coilovers, like the ones used by Greg Collier on his NASA championship Laser. He ran on those for multiple seasons.

Was this championship car running BC coilovers a DSM or some other make? Just because it works well on one make doesn't mean that transfers over to all makes. In fact, it's almost always different from make to make.

Lot of info here. Been looking at BC coilovers now. Almost one grand for a set. But do you really need rear camber plates for 150 dollars extra? Is the rear camber plate recommended.

I am torn between pillowball top mount and a rubber top mount.Pillowball i read that makes noise after a while due to the knuckle wearing. I want a "no noise" ride. The suspension will really be tested due to alot of holes and bumps on the road

I haven't used the Ksports myself, but for the weight conscious they're the lightest of the bunch. On my own cars I have used:

Megan - like them for the $, no leaks after 3 years
Tein SS - no body length adjustment like the Flex, so limited on bump travel. Still fine after many years.
JIC - broke after 2 months, RRE refunded my money rather than replacing under warranty because they felt they are not suitable for our climate
Shocktek - $$ broken junk, still have them on the shelf somewhere. Almost caused a crash because the POS shock took the brake line with it.

I haven't used the Ksports myself, but for the weight conscious they're the lightest of the bunch. On my own cars I have used:

Megan - like them for the $, no leaks after 3 years
Tein SS - no body length adjustment like the Flex, so limited on bump travel. Still fine after many years.
JIC - broke after 2 months, RRE refunded my money rather than replacing under warranty because they felt they are not suitable for our climate
Shocktek - $$ broken junk, still have them on the shelf somewhere. Almost caused a crash because the POS shock took the brake line with it.

Did you drag race with all of them? Which one made you feel good about launching the car.

To be honest I've never done any suspension tuning in regards to drag racing but have always had decent launches for street tires.

90 Talon AWD, GR2s, ST springs, BFG VR4 205/55/16 on stock wheels, 1.66 60ft, 11.4 @ 123
92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, Tein SS, 225/45/17 Sumitomo HTR-Z on 17x7, 1.63 60ft, 10.9 @ 116 (partial pass high boost, 11.0 @ 134 mid boost)
92 Talon AWD, 50trim, Megans, 225/40/18 Kumho SPT on 18x7s, low 1.7's, 11.5 @ 127
92 Talon AWD, HTA68, Konis, 18's, mid or high 1.6's (previous owner), 11.0 @ 125ish. Now has an S256 and more power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back