The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Which car would you buy? [Merged 8-8] what should I get

which car should i buy?

• s2000

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Evo MR

Votes: 41 95.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephroth57

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2002
Barnegat, New_Jersey
Life seems to be just one challenge after another. Should I go to college? Should I get married? Is my best friend g ay? Do these pants call for the brown shoes, or should I stick with black? Oh, and what car should I buy? You don't know the first thing about me, nor what I need, nor what I want, but please go ahead and make up my teensy little mind for me, because I can't decide which side I should start on to make the bed.

Beats the shit out of us. But if you want to ask anyway, here's where.

im looking at turbo DSMs and i know i want a 2g. around me the best choices ive seen are narrowed down to these 2 cars. which would you get personally?

95 GST 74,000 miles 6900$ from a private owner - i haven't looked at this car in person yet

96 GSX 112,000 miles 7600$ after taxes, from a used dealership - ive looked at this car it runs good and everything. but has a small dent on the trunk under the wing and small dent on the rear bumper. also the leather seats are pretty cracked in the front

now assuming nothing is wrong with the GST, should i get it cause its less miles and cheaper. or is the AWD definitely worth the extra money

according to kbb.com the blue book value for the GSX is around $7900.... and yes the awd is worth the $

ALWAYS GO AWD..from what i've heard you'll regret if you buy FWD....unless you are going to race AutoX

As a former car salesman let me be the first to say that Kelly Blue Book is crap. They make their predictions for market value about a year before they release their latest editions. Real Market value for practically any used vehicle from a dealership is anywhere from 1-4k LESS than what the dealer is trying to charge. However, when it comes to used cars you have to factor in supply and demand, i.e. How much do you want "this" car? If you want it bad enough, and there aren't many of them around, the dealer can pretty much charge what he wants, however if the market is saturated with the car you're looking for, you'll have a better chance of knocking some serious money off. When it comes to DSMs, particularly Turbo 2nd Gens, there just aren't a whole lot of them on the market (I know, I check about 5 different used car sites a day, not much else to do in Iraq)

Now with those two cars you're looking at, you can look at it a few ways. With 112k miles, the GSX has passed the point at which most 7bolts succomb to crankwalk. Also, since it's from a dealer, I have a feeling you could get that price down 1k to 1500, because of the mileage. And of course you have the "benefit" of AWD (depends if you want to launch like Ben Johnson on 'roids or pick up speed down track in a FWD) The GS-T is a year older, has less miles, and the seller is asking for less. But at 74k miles, it's in that period where it might be afflicted with Crankwalk in the near-future. Good luck either way.

I myself am looking at a few DSMs as well as maybe a Lexus SC400 or even CL 3.2 Type S. Depends if I can find the right DSM for me.

well when i went to look at the GSX the first time i couldnt test drive it since im not 21. i went today with my dad an drove it... it drove and shifted like ass. the clutch grabs like an inch off the ground, the gears are hard to shift into (and im used to my shitty tranny which is breakin on my NT), and when i made turns the whole car like rattled.

when i told the dealer i didnt like it and said those reasons hes like, oh thats cause youre used to FWD the AWD cars all turn like that... im like no man this thing is rattling like hell. plus when i closed the door , not even hard the whole door inside rattled, the window was down it sounded like the window was rattling. either way it just felt like crap and for that price i wasnt getting it.

anyway im looking at the GST tomorrow hopefully its good cause i really want a turbo car =)

the window rattle is no big deal.... there is a tech archive that fixes that and it pretty much happens to all our cars....as for the car shaking while turning.... if the whole car was stuttering then it might be the differential... not good... cost around $1500 to repair and for that price not a good deal... i would still go with AWD though... just look around some more cuz those are some really bad deals.... try and find a AWD from a private owner.... those are usually a better deal... as for the GST if you cant fin anything else then get that but try and get the price down a bit..... happy car shopping! :thumb:

Originally posted by AlecW81
when it comes to used cars you have to factor in supply and demand, i.e. How much do you want "this" car? If you want it bad enough, and there aren't many of them around, the dealer can pretty much charge what he wants, however if the market is saturated with the car you're looking for, you'll have a better chance of knocking some serious money off. When it comes to DSMs, particularly Turbo 2nd Gens, there just aren't a whole lot of them on the market
Exactly. I paid $7K for a '95 that needed a clutch because it was clean, un-dicked, and I was able to check out its history. And IT was the ONE I wanted. The "extra" I paid was _worth_ it to _me_.

Hold out for an AWD if you possibly can, and remember the Talons are only a dozen plastic pieces different from an Eclipse.

Good ones have no reason to ever wind up in a dealer's hands, particularly at this point in their life cycle: LOTS of people want them (look around just on here) and you can sell one for much more than trade-in value just about as quickly as you can list it.... while dealers get crashed, salvaged, used-up or lemons. With the occasional exception, of course.

buy what fits your style, do you want a top end monster from hell or something that can lay it down in the quarter mile?

i find that i like my gst for the fact that im on the freeway for most of my driving, and half of that is 3am.

also if money is a big issue you may want to save some in case of what could happen. for example i hit the center divider recently(guy cut into me not my fault i swear), it jacked over my rack and pinion and messed my fender...if my dad didnt teach me to keep 1000$ in case crap my car wouldnt have gotten fixed the next day.

and if you like the 97 bumpers you can always go with the cheaper one and do the conversion.

I want to get a car, not next year, but the year after, so I wanna save for it or for a down payment until then. I mean, i could always pay payments next year and put a smaller down payment on something, but there is insurance too.

Basically I want a car that makes the ladies go damn, how the hell did he afford that.. or damn, must be his daddy's car.

I was thinking like a 99/00 BMW 323i, or maybe a used Audi A6. I want something with luxury, performance, and style. for under about 17 grand.

Or a 3.2 TL . Volvo S70? Hmmmm the possibilities...

Whatdu think?

by then you should be able to get a nice lexus is300. i have seen them used now for about 23k. they are damn nice cars. i got to drive my boss's is300 home from out of town one time and that is the most comfortable car i have ever driven. he had a reprogrammed ECU, exhaust, headers, and intake. it could hang with my DSM (lightly modded of course).

Good point indeed, but thats not really what I was going for, because I do have a gf already. Hmmm.. maybe a 4runner...

dude its 2 years away...why u worried about WHAT CAR you're gonna buy..just save up as much money as you can and then when you're ready go look

i love driving my dads acura 3.2 tl, it hauls balls, not like my broken dsm, but it does it with so much more class, but it doesnt score the laaaadies, thats up to you my friend.

okay, i got it, a BMW 325xi. I really wanted a bmw at first, but I don't want to worry about stashing it away in the winter due to RWD, but the xi is AWD!! yeeehaw, ive seen my 01's right now for about 19 grand, figure in 2 years an 01 will be like, 14, 15 grand.

a bmw 325xi? why dont you juss set a blaze to all your heard earned money. In my opinion the M3 is the only bmw worth its cost, but its up to you.

the 3.2 is a great car, especially in type s trim, it compares to cars thousands more expensive.

I dont know what kind of car I want to buy..

like.. i was thinking a new corolla, yea know, nice car, nice warranty, but theyre slow.. unless I get the trd supercharger, even then its only 170 hp..

I was also thinking a new protege, but, again, slow..

Then I was thinking a used car.. maybe a toyota avalon, luxurious, 200 hp, 212 ft lbs, not too shabby..

But then I was thinking a 2g turbo dsm.. but I hear so many problems with reliability.. and im not sure if I want a 2 door, and I know ill be throwing so much money into mods if I get a DSM..

What are some good used cars, not older then about 97, under ... 11 grand, that are nice overall cars, with some decent power..

newer the 97,nice and fast and u can spend only 11k?Well u wont find such car very easy then.

get a daewoo... brand new, under 11k, no power.... please refer to an economics book if you can't understand how you won't get all 3 at the same time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back