The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

which axle is longer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kannonk

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2004
San Diego, California
I didn't pay attention when I took them out, and it looks like the driver side should be the longer rear axle, but I just want to check. Which side gets the longer rear axle?

Are you sure? I'm having a hard time getting it to pop in.

OK, I still couldn't get the longer one to pop in the passenger side, so I started working on the driver side with the short one. I got the knuckle and everything in, but the axle isn't sticking through the hub enough to thread the nut in
The diff cover said viscous LSD BFH on it.

Try to insert the axle into the pumpkin first, so that way you can manage better to get it in, If you put it in the spline first, then it will be harder to make it work which you have not much room to play with.

Edit,

Try to use the weight of the spindle to push the axle in, don't be afraid, just push it in and it will pup in.

I use this method with the front axles, so it will be the same with the rears.

The right side axle should have two different size splines, the large spline transmits power and the smaller spline fits into the LSD unit. Does the axle have the 2 different size splines?
You need to slowly rotate the axle while pushing it in so it engages both sets of splines.
Have you checked the C clip on the end of the axle? Make sure it's in good shape, sometimes the clip sticks out too much and jams. Use a little grease on the C clip so it stays centered in the groove.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back