The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Which 2G frontmount?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMopar

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Vista, California
Ok I give up trying to find a larger sidemount, I guess dejon tool doesn't make them anymore and no one wants to sell theirs. I've been holding off on a frontmount because I want my car to pass smog without having to pay some dude $300 or whatever you other guys do. So with that in mind, here's what my requirements are:

- Stealthy (pipes routed in more or less stock looking locations)
- Medium/small sized core to help the above requirement
- MUST be able to keep condenser for A/C
- Least amount of cutting/hacking on car

So out of all of the aftermarket/ebay kits out there, what best fits my requirements?

Anyone have pics of their VSRF piping/intercooler location? I'm leaning towards this kit. Can you retain the A/C condenser with this kit?

I run the VRSF kit in my 2g auto. The trans dipstick has to be moved out of the way of the UICP. Just stuck a screwdriver in the hole and gently moved it. Ran with the stock trans cooler with it on the drivers side, but ended up just moving it to the SMIC location. Satisfied.:thumb:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/files/9/1/9/3/7/engine_bay.jpg

You can kinda see it there. Not the most visible picture, but that's the route it takes. You'll have to cut part of the Rad support frame on the passenger side to fit the piping through, and relocate the coolant overflow, as previously mentioned. ( I just opted for the poweraid bottle mod) Aside from that, bolting it up was easy as pie! (are people still saying that?)

MAP kit looks like the same thing as the VSRF? Probably the same kit I'm guessing but $20 cheaper?

MAP kit looks like the same thing as the VSRF? Probably the same kit I'm guessing but $20 cheaper?

Pretty much. And it should ship as soon as you order it, instead of waiting for VRSF's 2 month backorder.

Pretty much. And it should ship as soon as you order it, instead of waiting for VRSF's 2 month backorder.

This...

MAP is great about getting stuff sent out. Especially if you live in the same state. ;)

does this one keeps the fog lights?

I am actaully not sure. I'll ask the owner of the car! :thumb:

Edit: Yes they would work, however you would have to make brackets to drop the intercooler a bit. Then brackets for the fog lights, and trimming for the bumper. I asked Nate @ MAP. His car is the car on MAP's site with the intercooler installed on it.

Last edited:
I have a quick question my cousin is always telling me that if I get a front mount with it being a mitsubishi I HAVE to get it tuned or it wont run right, is this true? If I buy a punishment racing fmic will I have to get it tuned no matter what or can i drive it like normal? Thanks!

I have a quick question my cousin is always telling me that if I get a front mount with it being a mitsubishi I HAVE to get it tuned or it wont run right, is this true? If I buy a punishment racing fmic will I have to get it tuned no matter what or can i drive it like normal? Thanks!

kick your cousin in the nuts LOL.
as long as you keep the boost under 14 psi you wont need to tune, either way i recommend to. I believe we all need a tuning device even on a stock dsm. Keep the BOV recirculated.
A FMIC is like the sidemount the only thing is that its bigger, and is in the front of the car and flows better, FMIC work better with upgraded bigger turbos.

kick your cousin in the nuts LOL.
as long as you keep the boost under 14 psi you wont need to tune, either way i recommend to. I believe we all need a tuning device even on a stock dsm. Keep the BOV recirculated.
A FMIC is like the sidemount the only thing is that its bigger, and is in the front of the car and flows better, FMIC work better with upgraded bigger turbos.

Thanks for the response! Ya he definitely acts like he knows everything haha but ya my BOV is recirculated now and will always be but i'm definitely contimplating on getting a fmic for sure just gotta decide which ones best for me and my price range :thumb:

Bringing this one back up, I ended up going with the VSRF kit, install is almost done.. was wondering what you guys used for an alternate coolant overflow reservoir? Anyone know if any softdrink bottles have the right diameter for the stock overflow cap? :D

Take a large Monster or Rockstar can (with resealable cap) and drill two holes in the cap. Put the overflow hose in one side, about 3/4 of the way down the can. Then put another hose into the other side with only an inch or two of hose in the bottle, and 6" or so hanging outside to drain any excess coolant. Add some RTV to the hoses to keep them in place and air tight. Mount it upright with hose clamps or whatever works. Ta-dah! Ghetto coolant reservoir.

I'm not sure the stock cap setup will fit right on the can, but it might be worth a try. If not, do the above.

Bringing this one back up, I ended up going with the VSRF kit, install is almost done.. was wondering what you guys used for an alternate coolant overflow reservoir? Anyone know if any softdrink bottles have the right diameter for the stock overflow cap? :D

I have the VR speed kit. I used a coolant tank from one of our supporting vendors on here. Works great (as far as coolant tanks go) and fits perfect :hellyeah:

You should bring your dsm by my work sometime (I work in san marcos :D)

i have the ets intercooler and the only thing i didn't like is that there is no brace to hold the bottom on the intercooler . the punishment racing one looks like its more secure and also my pipes started to rust after awhile so i sent them back and got the stainless ones . i also don't understand why they didn't offer a throttle body elbow pipe with the kit so i asked them to make one that was 2.5 inches and they did .

Just a word of advice. I tried to save a few bucks on a ebay intercooler, it is the same exact thing as the Godspeed kit, just a different maker (if that is really the truth, I think it is the same company selling under many different names as a marketing strategy) The kit bolted up decent, but the couplers are cheap. At 14psi it kept blowing them off with the cheap t clamps that snap when you tighten them tight enough to keep the intercooler from leaking. Now with the amount of money that I have spent replacing a bunch of shit that I would have never had to replace if I would of ponied up a extra 100 bucks I have spent making the kit as good as the one above it. I guess you could say it is custom now (haha) I would just save up a little bit of extra money and go for the name brand stuff that is proven to work and is perfectly compatible with the car you are buying it for. The kit I got said it was for a 2g but it seems I am having trouble getting the pipe to clear when I go to stick the bumper on the car, and to top it all off the mounting brackets that came on the kit most definitely do not line up correctly unless your suppose to run a self tapping screw through the bumper (facepalm) Hope this can be of some help. Shortcuts= headaches. As for emissions, black her out. I couldn't do California, they don't want anyone having any type of fun I swear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back