The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Where's the fuel pump fuse on a '96 Eclipse GSX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deibiseu

Probationary Member
Mar 20, 2023
Orange, California
I'm trying to clean my fuel injectors at home, without disassembly, according to this youtube video online. The fuse box in the engine bay does not have a fuse that says fuel pump? Any idea where it may be? I recently picked up a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (unfortunately with a ton of problems), and I can link the video if needed. Thank you!

There isn't a fuse just for the fuel pump. That arrow marked 1 come from the ignition switch which gets it's power from the Ignition fuse. Pulling it turns off far more than the pump.

So like Paul asked, what are you trying to do?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What do you need to do? I don't understand your question.
There isn't a fuse just for the fuel pump. That arrow marked 1 come from the ignition switch which gets it's power from the Ignition fuse. Pulling it turns off far more than the pump.

So like Paul asked, what are you trying to do?

Thanks -- and sorry for the confusion! I'm trying to disconnect the fuel pump fuse so that I can spray carb directly into the fuel line and starting the engine in the hopes that it will clean my fuel injectors. Here's the video I was referencing.

Last edited:
Since there isn't a fuse like in his case you would have to disconnect at the fuel pump to avoid having to remove pins from connectors anywhere else. This assumes you or a PO haven't performed a FP rewire in the past. Those typically include include a fuse in the power wire directly from the battery so you don't burn the car down if the wire shorts. For this style cleaning you could pull that fuse.

Don't try the second part where he connects a 12v battery to the injectors. That might be OK with high impedance injectors but would damage the low impedance injectors in out turbo engines. The injector resistors on the firewall serve to limit the current going through the injector so you don't burn them up.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but spraying carb spray into the intake is NOT going to clean fuel injectors, only the plenum and runners. It will move past the pintle of the injectors, but clean them......I don't think this will ever work.

Since there isn't a fuse like in his case you would have to disconnect at the fuel pump to avoid having to remove pins from connectors anywhere else. This assumes you or a PO haven't performed a FP rewire in the past. Those typically include include a fuse in the power wire directly from the battery so you don't burn the car down if the wire shorts. For this style cleaning you could pull that fuse.

Don't try the second part where he connects a 12v battery to the injectors. That might be OK with high impedance injectors but would damage the low impedance injectors in out turbo engines. The injector resistors on the firewall serve to limit the current going through the injector so you don't burn them up.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but spraying carb spray into the intake is NOT going to clean fuel injectors, only the plenum and runners. It will move past the pintle of the injectors, but clean them......I don't think this will ever work.
Gotcha guys. I'll definitely bring my Eclipse to a shop instead of messing with this DIY stuff; better to leave it to the professionals haha!

Honestly, you're better off learning how to do things yourself as much as possible.

With regards to cleaning your injectors, start with a bottle of seafoam in the gas tank.

I'm trying to clean my fuel injectors at home, without disassembly, according to this youtube video online. The fuse box in the engine bay does not have a fuse that says fuel pump? Any idea where it may be? I recently picked up a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (unfortunately with a ton of problems), and I can link the video if needed. Thank you!
Have you looked under your back seats it might be on the left side

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back