The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Where to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylehansen

Probationary Member
Nov 3, 2021
Parker, Colorado
I have had a 99 GSX in my family since it was new. It’s bounced around a bit but in great shape and 86k miles.
It’s being delivered to me tomorrow, and I’m hoping to make it a fun project.
Not looking for a crazy build, just add a little extra fun.
I’m hoping to learn enough to where I can do most of the work myself, but definitely want to do it right.
Where would you guys start?
I don’t want to jump into bigger turbos and more power and blow it up.
Complete honesty, I’m okay with cars and love them, but by no means know what I’m doing or talking about with a lot of it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Congrats on getting a 99 GSX! Your best bet is to do a ton of research on the forum, perform all required maintenance, and then determine what your power goals are. Definitely post up some pictures and start a build thread!

Welcome! Unless it was well taken care of, it will most likely need some maintenance. Check when the last time it had timing belt and water pump replaced. Inspect the harmonic balancer/crank pulley. There’s much more but those should be up there in your priority list.

I’m making a list of thing needed vs what has recently been done.
Would like to replace the stock air box. Probably not going long term to a larger inlet on the turbo, so thinking a simple k&n filter, or similar, with some type of heat shield.
Cold air isn’t really needed since its intercooled right? So most people just add a short ram air, any recommendations?
And thank you all for the tips and community!

I would opt for a OEM style drop in K&N and keep the airbox with the stock or slightly bigger turbo. Sucking hot underhood air into the motor noticeably drops your power & intercoolers won't compensate for the hot air ingested.
Also add all new coolant & heater hoses to your maintenance list. At 20 plus years they will be close to their end of life.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back