The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Where to install Coolant Temp Sensor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsunari

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Jessup, Maryland
Wondering how some of you have your aftermarket coolant temp installed. I have a 6-bolt block w/ 2g head and 2g waterneck . . . really do not see anywhere i could possibly tap/thread a hole for the new sensor. 2 ideas:

1) Machine a remote-mount flow-through block that I could thread the sensor into (would get a water feed using the blocked-off FIAV coolant ports

2) Snag a 1g water neck as I *BELIEVE* it has some extra ports in it that are not being used.

However- would the 1g water neck work with a 2g head and radiator hoses?

m1nd64m3 said:
No, the 1g water neck works only with the 1g head.

No, the 1g water neck & thermostat housing only works with the 1g waterpipe.

You can put a 2g thermohousing & waterpipe onto a 1g motor, and a 1g thermo housing and waterpipe onto a 2g.

You just need to be sure you have the same generations of waterpipe and thermo housing.

So, to answer your question..
yes, the 1g thermostat housing does have a few extra holes in it, but... you would need to find a 1g waterpipe, and then run your own lines to your oil filterhousing from the 1g thermostat housing.

Also, you would need to find a new lower radiator hose if you run the 1g water pipe.

nickrule99 said:
No, the 1g water neck & thermostat housing only works with the 1g waterpipe.

You can put a 2g thermohousing & waterpipe onto a 1g motor, and a 1g thermo housing and waterpipe onto a 2g.

You just need to be sure you have the same generations of waterpipe and thermo housing.

So, to answer your question..
yes, the 1g thermostat housing does have a few extra holes in it, but... you would need to find a 1g waterpipe, and then run your own lines to your oil filterhousing from the 1g thermostat housing.

Also, you would need to find a new lower radiator hose if you run the 1g water pipe.

Alrighty- thanks for clearing that up. . . What is the difference between the 1g and 2g radiator hoses?

Upper - same
Lower - longer . . . shorter . . . ?

tsunari said:
Alrighty- thanks for clearing that up. . . What is the difference between the 1g and 2g radiator hoses?

Upper - same
Lower - longer . . . shorter . . . ?

The upper radiator hose will work for either thermostat housing, the lower one is the one that is different. I'm not sure which is longer.. but they are molded differently.

The lower hose for the 2g goes into the thermostat housing, whereas the lower hose for the 1g comes directly off the water pipe.

Also, I'm pretty sure there is 2 sensors for water temp, one for the stock gauge and another for the ECU. (I'll try to find out for you later tonight). You could get away with taking out the one for the stock gauge and replacing it with your probe, as long as you wouldn't mind the gauge in the cluster not working. I'm not sure if this would be an option, or even if the sensor would fit in the same hole, but that would be the simplest way to do this.

-Nick

I had a idea that I've seen on a few older cars. Its pretty ghetto looking not sure how much you care. Some cars had a bung molded into the rad hose. I've also seen them with like 3 inches of metal pipe inline in the hose with a bung welded onto the pipe.

1stGenRocks said:
I had a idea that I've seen on a few older cars. Its pretty ghetto looking not sure how much you care. Some cars had a bung molded into the rad hose. I've also seen them with like 3 inches of metal pipe inline in the hose with a bung welded onto the pipe.

Yeah, I've seen stuff like that as well. . . looks pretty GHETTO F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S to me . . .

I was more thinking if I switch over to the 1g T-stat housing, remove the sensor with the two vaccuum nipples on it (the one that used to be hooked up to the EGR somehow . . .), and re-thread that hole or get an adapter if need be.

Any chance someone could post a good pic of the 1g Tstat housing and front water pipe? I'd like to see exactly how the lower rad hose hooks up and what sensors the tstat housing has

Does this help? Here are a few pictures of the housing. You can see the green water pipe, and the 3 nipples on the thermostat housing. I believe the top one is for connecting to the overflow tank, and the two near the bottom as follow: One of them connects to the turbo water pipe (you can see that in the pictures too) and the other connects to the oil filter cooling housing. Which is which, I don't remember. Maybe someone else can post that up.

The diagram in the factory service manual does not match this thermostat housing, so if anyone can say which of the nipples connects to which device (turbo, oil filter cooling housing) I would appreciate that as well:) Maybe it doesn't even matter, if they are connected to the same volume inside the housing?

Attachments

• 1G T-Stat Housing.JPG
    1G T-Stat Housing.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 730
  • 1G T-Stat Housing 2.JPG
    1G T-Stat Housing 2.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 706
  • 1G T-Stat Housing 3.JPG
    1G T-Stat Housing 3.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 643
Yeah, that definitely is a step in the right direction ;) I've been told that there is some type of bung/nipple on the 1g turbo water pipe. . . anyone have a pic of that?

Also, how does the 1g Tstat housing bolt up to the 2g head? The 2g tstat housing has 4 bolts in what looks to be a completely different pattern than the 1g tstat housing with its 3 bolts

Here is a picture of the 1G water pipe nipple, that connects to the oil cooler. You can see the green nipple by the alternator. The other picture shows the other 1G water pipe without that nipple.
Also, there is the bung for attaching the other turbo water pipe on both of these pictures (well, maybe not visible on the green pipe...but it is in the same position as the other one). Is that the bung/nipple you were referring to?

Attachments

• 1G Water Pipe.JPG
    1G Water Pipe.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 595
  • 1G Water Pipe No Nipple.JPG
    1G Water Pipe No Nipple.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 624
yup that's definitely it! Thanks for the pix :)

On a side note . . . is that your setup? If so . . . why are you still getting oil for your turbo from the head ? :confused:

Yes, that is my setup. I am getting the oil from the head because that is a FP3052 turbo with the ball bearing center cartridge. The head is the correct place to get the oil for that kind of turbo:)
If you need any more pics, let me know...I am currently finishing up my cooling system, so I can take any pictures you might need.

pix would definitely be cool . . .

As for the oil supply, I would HIGHLY recommend getting oil from the oil filter housing . . . the oil there is coming right out of the filter so it's going to be as clean as it gets. All you would need is an in-line restrictor to limit the amount of oil being fed to the turbo. My turbo actually came with the restrictor (PTE GT3076r) and i just called up RRE and they made me a supply line.

Everything's working great. (Believe I also saw a restrictor on SBRs website, but I don't have any experience with it.)

Either way . . . it's something to think about.

Thanks, I'll look into that restrictor and moving the oil supply line. I guess having the cleanest possible oil is a good reason to do it, as long as the pressure and flow can be held to the correct level :)

Just be sure not to flood the BB turbo with too much oil...They don't take much pressure at all. I would run the line as is with an inline oil filter.

Oh, and nice setup! :thumb:

As far are placement of the sensor goes, you can put it in the water neck housing.

eclpsegsx12 said:
Just be sure not to flood the BB turbo with too much oil...They don't take much pressure at all. I would run the line as is with an inline oil filter.

Oh, and nice setup! :thumb:

As far are placement of the sensor goes, you can put it in the water neck housing.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to convert over to the 1g t-stat housing b/c it has more ports than the 2g housing. Just need to get my hands on one and the turbo water pipe :D

Why not just get a greddy water hose adapter. 26 bucks from RRE and works perfect. Thread is 1/8th NPT IIRC.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back