The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Where to hook up the engine hoist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92blutalon

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2008
bridgeview, Illinois
Does anyone have any pictures of there engine on a engine hoist, this weekend will be my first time pulling out a 4g63. I dont know were to hook it up to the engine.

There should be two brackets that came on there for hoisting the engine. There is one on the front right of the engine near the top of the valve cover on the powersteering reservoir side, the other should be on the back left of the engine by the intake manifold.

Here's a picture for reference. One of the brackets is attached via the right side of the exhaust manifold, the other bracket two bolts attach to the throttle body studs and one to the CAS stud.

Attachments

• engine_hoist.JPG
    engine_hoist.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 3,365
Slightly off topic. But Harbor Freight has their 1 ton folding engine hoists going for $129 on sale down from $179, they gave me another 20% off for getting their $20 product warranty, which brought the price down another $6. Total was like $132 or so with tax out the door. Fit no problem in the hatch back and saved $100 in shipping costs.

You can also take off the motor mount on in front of the cams and put a one of those front bolts through the chain then put a nut on it and it will hold perfectly. I lifted my entire motor and trany together from those two spots
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

ok kinda dumb....but what if you're missing those brackets? i was thinking of using the engine mnt and try to put a longer stud where the cas goes.too much stress on one part? if not idk where else to hook the chain.

Sorry for a revive but I am wondering about this to. My engine does not have any of the original motor brackets to pull it with. From what I read above I can't remove the timing belt side mount and run a chain through there. But were else can I attach a chain to keep it balanced and even. My motor is currently on a stand and I still need to attach my rear seal, starter plate, flywheel, clutch, ect, so can I do that while it's on the hoist? It will also need to support the trans. And how much does the complete engine/ trans weigh.so I could buy strong enough hardware. All the thread I read before this just give info on the two stock location lift points

Sorry for a revive but I am wondering about this to. My engine does not have any of the original motor brackets to pull it with. From what I read above I can't remove the timing belt side mount and run a chain through there. But were else can I attach a chain to keep it balanced and even. My motor is currently on a stand and I still need to attach my rear seal, starter plate, flywheel, clutch, ect, so can I do that while it's on the hoist? It will also need to support the trans. And how much does the complete engine/ trans weigh.so I could buy strong enough hardware. All the thread I read before this just give info on the two stock location lift points

Pretty much anywhere that you can bolt a chain to with a 8 mm or larger bolt. The mount studs work perfectly fine as do the intake end studs. I usually use one of the cas bolt holes and one engine mount stud.

Correct me if im wrong but you should be able to use the factory engine mounts with the bolts to safetly lift engine and keep it pretty balanced.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back