The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Where to get a timing belt kit in Canada?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrerj003

Proven Member
Apr 13, 2013
Toronto, ON_Canada
Hi, I'm new to DSM and actually to cars in general. Got a 95 2G Eagle Talon about a month ago and it's pretty damn awesome. When I took my car to my local mechanic he said that he just finished working on someone else's DSM and he told them to replace their timing belt, but he didn't listen. Long story short his engine blew up and my mechanic strongly advised me to replace mine since I don't know of any history of replacing it. He said he can do the whole timing belt kit for around 800$ in parts and labour, 300 for parts and the rest on labour. I'm still a student and pretty broke LOL, was wondering if I could get a timing belt kit cheaper than that, but something that is actually strong.

Something like this - 1995 Eagle / Mitsubishi 2.0L TURBO Timing Belt Kit Water Pump Valve Cover 4G63T | eBay

If I can get any help it'd be very appreciated. And by the way, I've looked for quite a while searching forums and googling but I've seen only stores recommended in the States but I'm in Toronto.

Last edited:
A few things:

1) Congrats on picking up a DSM! They're awesome cars, but can be very finnicky. Be proactive and take care of issues and you'll have A LOT of fun.

2) Come join us over at Club DSM Canada Forums

3). Pretty much everyone in Canada gets their stuff from RTM Racing. Even a lot of the guys in the States get specialty machined parts from Ziggy @ RTM as the custom machined stuff isn't really made by anyone else these days. His shipping rates are great and it's pretty much next day.

I'm from Richmond Hill...what area are you in?

Do not cheep out of knock off/no name timing belt components. You may save abit up front but if 16 valves meet 4 pistons in the future, you will wish you spent abit more on OEM Mitsu parts.

Personally I only use OEM Mitsu parts for timing related components (actually I only use OEM for all the parts I buy for the Eclipse), but at min you want the belt, water pump & auto tensioner to be OEM. Some may use non OEM pulleys but I wouldn't take the risk, especially if your not doing the work yourself. Most of the cost is labour, if a pulley fails, you'll basically be paying the full cost of labour for another timing belt job.

If you don't mind parts being shipped from the US, I'd recommend extremepsi. If you want to stick to Canada, go to RTM Racing: https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/home.php?cat=278

Thanks guys, and I definitely don't want to get some bad quality parts if they're cheaper. Just seeing if I could get any good quality parts for cheaper than what my mechanic said LOL.

And I'm in the GTA area but go to Scarborough like all the time. Actually I met someone in Scarborough when I saw a 1G parked at my friend's apartment and when I was checking it out the owner passed by and we had a little chat. He also mentioned RMT Racing but by the time I got home that night I could not for the life of me remember what the name of the store was LOL.

I have no problems at all getting parts from across the border, just wasn't sure where would be a good place that has no problems getting to Canada. I'll definitely check these websites out. For not having any history of any timing components replaced, which parts should be a MUST in replacing right now, although I'd rather do the whole thing my budget might not allow me to LOL.

Your mechanic said $800 in parts?

If your car still has the balance shaft, you can get a full timing kit, balance shaft belt included for Under $400, ALL OEM Mitsu parts, if not even less. $800 is CRAZY!

I would replace everything all at once though. It's not expensive enough to not do. The most expensive parts are the ones you HAVE to replace (tensioner, belt)...so it makes no sense not to.

Edit: Forgot about the water pump. Still, even if you go OEM for that you should be under $600, tax in. for everything - ALL OEM. Cheaper if you have no balance shafts. Personally, I would go with a Topline or GMB waterpump and save yourself $100+. The rest I would do OEM Mitsu.

No my mechanic said about 300-400 in parts, and then around 400 in labour for about 800$ in the total price LOL. Timing components at RTMRacing are OEM right? And I would absolutely love to do the whole kit at once and it makes the most sense to do so, but my problem is having to balance the part cost along with labour since I sadly can't work on my car myself :( YET.

So assuming I were to buy all the parts at RMTRacing, they don't have a full kit in one price like the ebay link I showed. Which exact parts would I need to get?

Home

They could probably help you out as well

Personally, I would not recommend going here. If you do some searching around, I'm sure you can make up your own mind.

Again, with a timing belt, basically if your paying someone to do it, replace it all. If something fails, you'll be paying out basically the same amount again in labour. So saving $50 on a pully cost cost you another $500 in labour if it fails before it should.

To do it properly you'll want, timing belt, auto tensioner, water pump, idler pulley & tensioner pulley.

If you still have balance shafts, you'll also want balance shaft belt & balance shaft tensioner pulley.

Yes, if you select the OEM parts from RTM, they are OEM mitsu. Some items such as water pump he does have non OEM but it specifically states what type your looking at in the drop down menu.

Alright I'll definitely get the whole kit done. So I'm thinking of getting the OEM timing kit, timing belt and water pump for sure to get the whole kit done from RTMracing? And I have very limited knowledge so I don't know what a balance shaft is LOL. Is there anyway I can check in a simplified way? By that I mean without having to take out my engine or anything of the sort.

You'll want to remember this site: VFAQ Site - Visual Frequently Answered Questions & also start reading through the tech section on this site.

Here's a vfaq link to the timing belt. This will show you whats involved in changing it & also what a balance shaft & balance shaft belt looks like. If the cars basically stock, it likely has the balance shafts still installed. If the timing belts been done before the shafts may have been deleted. People do this for two reasons, it eliminates the possibility of spinning a balance shaft (BS) bearing & it also eliminates the BS belt, which alot of the time is the item that fails & ends up taking the actual timing belt out with it.

Timing Belt VFAQ

I usually get my OEM parts from JNZTuning. They have the best prices around and their customer service is great. If you call, ask for Paul and he will recommend all the parts you need. I bought the timing belt, the balance shaft belt, the tensioner, all the idlers and the water pump for about $450 including shipping, custom and GST. All the parts, of course, were OEM Mitsubishi.

Shoot napa timing belts are just as good that's what I run. You all forget that half our stuff is not oem anymore as they are made from other companies now. Just follow scheduled maintenance times and good engine care you will be good.Mitsubishi discontinued making alot stuff for dsm's there like 20 years old now. :ohdamn:
http://www.napacanada.com/en.aspx

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back