The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

where do you people get the time and money

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 95 eclipse 420a motor motor has been rebuilt less than 2500 miles ago had a new crank sensor, cam sensor, and a few other things. My problem I'm having is that the car ran great I was driving it daily for about 5 months, then I parked it for a few to do some upgrades(never got to them). Well I started to drive the car again and it drove great for about 3 weeks I was leaving work it started and I pulled out of my parking spot and the car died.....I took it to a local shop and they told me that the intake rubbed the cam sensor to bare wires, they fixed it for me( I work a lot of hours). They told me it still had spark and when they sprayed starting fluid in the intake it would sputter. Well they told me they couldn't figure it out and it needed a computer. I'm leary on that, I got it towed to my house to try it myself. And it still won't start I have replaced the crank shaft positioning sensor, camshaft sensor, I got the coil checked and I can't get any spark even today I can't. I'm lost and I don't know what the next step is I need the car but don't know what else to do please help!!!

Just like this poor guy will have to eat ramen for a month to pay for this BS......LOL SO FUNNY HAHA

ITS NOT FUNNY I FEEL FOR THIS GUY

Your profile says N/T so you should be fine with less parts breaking. Try driving around with a fully built Dsm and something goes wrong. I have to get 1 of 10 females to pay for it :p

I'm in engineering school and I work at Les Schwab for $12/hr. I just DON'T put money into my Eclipse like I wish I could. Oil changes and plugs is about all I can afford right now.

Oh look! It's the OP who is complaining about being broke, then subtly e-brags about all his more expensive toys!

This is both new and exciting.

Also...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Some guys, albeit rare, DO have all the work done and tuning. Then youre looking at around 30k for 600+whp awd thats painted and interior all done up, sound etc.. Ive seen some poor ass HS kids do better work than ive ever done on a car just by taking a very long time and getting used parts as much as possible.

me? Im 32. You want a high paying job? Ill give you 2 clues: Medical field and electronics. Pick one or combine and you can make some very good money. Im blessed to have landed in this business and i do blow too much money on toys (cars, bikes, GOLF SHIT) but it never interferes with anything.

Youre in the cheapest go-fast game in town. Well, technically your not you have a 420a. But dsms are the cheapest and fastest things around. Flat out, no question. Any other car out there that will do what an awd will in the 1/4 mile for that cheap? No. Maybe a sbc build, maybe.

I didnt spend money on shit like dsms, which are always a black hole and never a return on investment, until i made a lot. I owned a couple 420as. Extremely reliable. And cheap as #### to repair.

OP, you don't buy into all that "organic" mumbo jumbo, do you?

yes your right everybody stop complaining and get another job on top of the one you dont have and cant get hahaha

look foward to more Debt under Obama and more taxes i hope you like eating top ramen LOL eat more MSG its good for you hahahaha hey this is fun

ooooooooooh..........okaaaaay. One of those. Politics is not for this place. I respect your right to opinion but you are in a tech forum. Keep that shit out of here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You modded a titan for armagadon im guessing you got an under ground bunker for zombie apocalypse. Life has no set time. You could go asleep and never wake up. Just live life and enjoy time.

You modded a titan for armagadon im guessing you got an under ground bunker for zombie apocalypse. Life has no set time. You could go asleep and never wake up. Just live life and enjoy time.

I do that to all day, just preparing for katrina bullshit or sandy bullshit shall i go on.....

On a serious note, can you hear your fuel pump turn on? I would check your asd relay and the other one next to it on the firewall. You can get a cat from eBay or a local junk yard. You need a voltage meter and check around for proper power and ground on your sensors.

On a serious note, can you hear your fuel pump turn on? I would check your asd and mpi relay on the firewall. You can get a cat from eBay or a local junk yard. You need a voltage meter and check around for proper power and ground on your sensors.

I had a mech put a snap on computer on it he said that my cat converter was bad and throwing off my idle running rich

To fix your DSM work on your DSM and still have money for electricity and food and insurance, Crap i can barely afford to repair my old dying DSM and every stupid computer part, sensor cost half weeks pay and it may or may not fit be the right one or even be defective right out of the box. And dont get me started on the freaking inspection you have to pass where they try to get you for not having a light under the hood and wanna charge you 30 bucks to put a new light in. This is truley some exotic freaking Hobby. And then I gotta see crap like Arabs from Dubi driving gold plated ferrrari. I am so sick of this crap where are the good jobs where is the American dream its all a pile of dog shit.

Anyway where can i get a catyletic converter that fist my ferrari i mean 99 ECLIPSE 420A THAT COST HALF A WEEKS PAY LOL, NO I DONT HAVE TIME TO SPELL CHECK. I HAVE TO WORK TWO JOBS SHIT

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So much butthurt. Usually I say it's horsepower that breaks parts... but then I saw your had a 420a... You mean to tell me that your 420a keeps taking your paycheck? You don't even have the horsepower to break expensive parts.

Its all priority and money management dude. Simple as that. I work a 12 buck an hour job,run my 4 person household (wife me n 2 young kids), I'm the only income and sometimes there's money to buy a new part,sometimes there isn't. That's life. Suck it up and be happy with what you do have because it can always be worse. I too have a 420a and I've got some work done to it, its not all that bad price wise, and I do my own work which I learned from just grabbing tools annd going to town. I've even tried some things I've never done before so its been a lot of fun. So enjoy what you have, grab some tools and build it if you want it that bad. In the end you'll feel better because you know what you went through to accomplish it and YOU did it.

Its all in the way you manage it. I live at home, work a small part time job at toys r us earning a WHOPPING $8.75/hr :rolleyes:. Most of my money goes towards paying farners insurance for an uninsured accident (had expired the day prior and apparently my account was low on funds so no renewal. ) anyways I bought my 91 awd, have plenty of tasteful mods (many of which still in the garage) and I'm currently saving for an engine rebuild. I don't earn much but I prioritize what I can.

Work for the government. I work for the county at vehicle maintenance and love it. 7-3:30 and 23$ an hour starting plus good benifits. Also a plus is i can use the tig, plasma cutter, and whatever tools i need anytime.

Too bad their shut down right now :ohdamn:

I'm a 21 year old College student. I hear ya on the money. I do a lot of side work for folks to pay for my parts. Learn how to do the work yourself (lots of mistakes along the road....) but it saved me tons of money in the end. Buy used parts if you can. Money is out there, you just gotta find your niche.

Sadly I live in a town filled with rich kids from California who's parents set them up for life. Saw a kid driving a Carrera 4s yesterday. And I shit you not, there is a student at CU who drives a McLaren MP-12C. But hey that's why I love the DSM world. I can build my car to my taste and still mess with all the kids in their dady's STIs, S4s (b5s) and such.

My car might not be the most expensive or even best looking. But I know every little bolt under the hood. I know what parts are under there and when they were put on. If something breaks I can usually pin it down myself and fix it myself. There's a special pride of ownership in that, that money simply cannot buy.

Well I dont have both. I make decent money..I have a few drivers but not dsm's. My dsm is under a full rebuild. But my time is limited so its a slow build.

Where there is your problem, you had the wrong parents.

:thumb: i'm thankful for having my entire families support on my project, i'm currently living with my dad and grandma for $100/mo while having to pay my insurance, my loan payments from when my dsm needed expensive parts, my Gamestop pre-orders, and now my car payment on my E36 M3 plus insurance on that...it also helps to work for a shop that has TWO parts store *right* across the street from said shop. i grind harder than anyone i know in my town for the little pay i do get, and that right there makes the accomplishment even greater, i only make $7.25/hr & 99% of the time i get a full 40hrs. so my take-home pay is only around $240/wk. i'm dedicated to my car at this point, so now matter how long my build takes, i can be confident that my build will be stellar once i'm finished with it.

In the end it all comes down to time and patience.

I can afford it I’m 18 going to high school and working for $8 an hour. I always make time for my car it been very good almost never break honestly I almost never put money in to fix it mostly mods. I am going to paint it in two weeks you can do it if you try. I just save up money to buy one more part any time I can.

Dude ever think maybe your shopping at the wrong place for parts.
try rockauto.com for maintenance parts.

What is really scary is, I don't make millions of dollars, and I am running a REAL 4G63T!

how long your car stays together depends on maintenance... and how hard you push the gas pedal.
However I do commend you for willing to give part of your precious paycheck to keep your car running right, but catalytic converters don't just blow every day of the week, usually a catalytic converter should last the life of your car, so long as you don't modify it in a ghetto fashion.

also think of it this way, if you don't have the money to keep a non turbo 2g dsm working, what chance do you have to make payments on a brand new car.

So what a catalytic converter is around $199.00, a payment on a brand new truck is what... $239.00 a month, and you won't own that truck till it is paid off... just get the parts to fix your car man, it's cheaper in the long run.

Can I have the 10 minutes back that I just wasted reading this guy wine about having no money because he spends all his money on having "back-up" cars incase one were to break down?

Man you have a lot of growing up to do and common sense to obtain. I don't know how old you are but seeing that you have kids, I hope atleast high 20's? If you can't manage your money with two jobs making nearly $20 an hour for both, you better rethink your strategy. People get by with $15 an hour jobs while supporting a family. When you find the set you lost between your legs, then come back and ask questions on how to better your car. Better yet, sell the car as you obviously need to prioritize your money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back