The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Where did you mount your inverter? And what about hard wiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekellbeast

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 28, 2003
Portland, Maine
So I looked through the gallery and the regular forums, and I can't find any pictures of an inverter installed, at all. I picked up a little 175w today to run my laptop or Palm off of, just to tune on DSMlink. So I'm looking for options on where I can mount the inverter. Also, what do you guys thing of cutting the cigarette adapter off the end of the wires, and hard wiring it on a 20/30A fuse? Good idea, or absolutely retarded?

Again, this thing is only going to be used as a power source for a laptop, palm, or emergency light, nothing with any sort of serious power draw. The instructions still say to put it somewhere it will get airflow though.

Let's see 'em.

I stuff them in non air circulating kinda places alot. It never really poses a problem. I'd for sure hard wire it with proper fusing. Under thr radio is the logical place to me it is a huge gaping hole in there. Most car stereo shop have a panel mount plug for those like this http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7763_AVE+AV-300W.html
You just remove the 120v plug and cut it into whatever panel you want to plug your laptop into.

Uhm just a little advice... nevermind all of this if you have already tried the inverter with your laptop... its just... 175w is kinda low for a computer. you'll have to have a damn good alternator and solid connections.

but anyways, since I'm a god at stuff like this (I install computers in cars with secondary batteries and isolators)... In my eclipse, I have the inverter hard wired into the secondary battery (a yellow top deep cycle) and install it under the hump thats right behind the back seat, there is a panel that comes off and it makes it easy to store and hide away. then since my Inverter only has two connections as most of them do, I plug in two small but heavy duty extention cords and at the end have them hooked up to a small power strip (depends on how powerful your inverter is) and I just flushmount and install the power strip in locations that are hiden, like under the dash facing downward for somewhat easy plug n play. I also have a plug in the back of the trunk right by the inverter for whenever I want to plug something up there.

I love having a powerful inverter... I can vacume my car wherever I want! hehe...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back