The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Where can I find the resistance for sensors on my 97 eclipse non turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowgirl1269

Probationary Member
Jan 24, 2015
Aurora, Colorado
I have a 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse GS. I bought this car as a project from a 16 year old kid wacting to make it a "race/track car" I had to repair some of the wiring he decided to alter. Such as, speaker wires for the tail lights. Removing the radio and running the fuel pump through where the radio should be. Found this out when I removed the radio fuse and the car wouldn't start. Replaced it, and traced the wires. And sure enough, that's what it was. It has a brand new block. But it seems the timing may be off by skipping a tooth.

I am replacing the entire timing assembly. The belt, water pump, and tensioner next week. The car runs but has an extremely rough idle. Sometimes dips below 1000rps. I wanted to check the resistance of all my sensors but can't find any of that information anywhere online. Hoping someone else might know where to find this info?

I had the car scanned and the codes that were given to me were P0140, P0340, and P0403. The downstream O2 sensor is rusted and half way snapped off. It also has an exhaust leak towards the front of the motor.

What i am trying to figure out is if any of the other sensors are off, why does it have such a rough idle and if the timing kit replacement will fix it. Also my other concern was, if the block was replaced and it isn't the right one for the computer, would that cause a rough idle? Last issue with the car is that when on defrost my ac is constantly on, causing my power steering to drag, squeal and the car heats up a bit. Never over heats but gets pretty warm. When I take it off defrost, the ac turns off. I think the rack and pinion and power steering pump needs replacing as well. There's a slight knocking every time I turn the wheel side to side at an idle coming from turning the steering wheel side to side quickly back and forth about a 1/4 turn. Any ideas? This car needs help. I don't want to get rid of it. As I said. It's a project and I've always wanted this year eclipse.

Well thank you. I will most certainly check that out. Any suggestions on the other issues?

Unless your present timing belt is loose or off by a tooth, I doubt a new TB kit will solve a rough idle. It still is a good idea to do however as TB should be replaced every 50,000 and you probably don't know when it was done last. Rough idle is more likely to be intake track air leak (anywhere between MAF and head), clogged injector, dirty throttle body, dirty/bad IAC, bad CAS, and a dozen other things but start with those.

P0340 is No cam signal (CAS) at PCM which is pretty serious and should be investigated 1st. P0403 is EGR solenoid circuit. P0140 is bad downstream O2 sensor (which is only used for emissions).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back