The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Where can I buy more boost fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoUd91tsiFWD

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2002
NE_Kentucky
Hi all,
I recently purchased a 91 talon with the turbo. When I drove it, I could never feel the turbo give any power and the guy said it just needed some more boost fluid. He told me to look at the guage, and when I gave it some gas, it never reached boost and he said that meant it was empty. He didn't want too much for it and it was a 5 spd (what I wanted) so I bought the car for $2300 and got it home. Well the next day I looked around forever, but could not tell where I need to fill back up the boost. I saw some lines going into the turbo, so I am pretty sure that is where it needs to go.
The only problem now is that I cannot seem to find any of the fluid at my local auto parts stores. Most of them have never heard of anything like it and one other place said they no longer carried it. Is this something I have to get at the dealer?

Anyways, if you can help please reply, I can't wait to start using the turbo again:D

I'm just going by what the previous owner told me. He said the turbo won't work until I fill up the fluid, thus the reason my boost guage would never rise above 0.
I've never heard of boost fluid either, but then again I am new to turbos. so if anyone can help please do.

There is no such thing. A turbo doesn't use fluid. It spools up using the gas from the exhaust. If the boost guage isn't "working" then it is probably for one of 2 reasons. The guage is not working, or there is no turbo. My advice, find the guy that sold you the car and kick him right in the nuts, as hard as you can for being an idiot.

Hmmm
The car says turbo on the side, and I can definetely see it under the hood. So it's definetely a turbo model. but why would the boost guage not go above 0 and the car has no power really. If there is no fluid for the turbo, what else would cause it not to turn on?

The only fluid the turbo uses is Oil and water to cool it. If the gauge is not working the turbo may be busted. The owner lied to you. You will have to oull the turbo and inspect it.

Later,

Originally posted by MuttedTSiAWD
The only fluid the turbo uses is Oil and water to cool it. If the gauge is not working the turbo may be busted. The owner lied to you. You will have to oull the turbo and inspect it.

Later,

Seems like the best explanation. If you don't know much about cars, find a good local garage that know Turbo cars and get them to take a look.

Also, www.vfaq.com might help you learn more about your new car.

And welcome to the forum.

Wow, I feel so sad for you. I agree. Find that A$$ Hole that sold you the car and KICK HIM IN THE NUTS! Then follow him home and post his address here and we'll all go and kick him in the nuts too.

Originally posted by dTERM
Wow, I feel so sad for you. I agree. Find that A$$ Hole that sold you the car and KICK HIM IN THE NUTS! Then follow him home and post his address here and we'll all go and kick him in the nuts too.

Excellant idea. Can I get a ride this time?

LoUd91tsiFWD - Before you do anything I would recommend reading the following few pages on turbos. Just click on this link: How Stuff Works - Turbos

Good luck to you in sorting this out. I really hope that it turns out to be something like a gauge that isn't functioning properly.

BG

Hey everyone thanks for all the links, I appreciate all the help. Well I gave the previous owner a call and he said some of the older turbos use to have boost fluid and he said he must have forgot they stopped doing that a while back. He told me the turbo might be blown, which he said he would come check out for me Tomorrow. From the link you gave me, looks like turbos run from the exhaust gas, not from fluid. I really hope it's not blown, hopefully it's just something little so I can get it going again.

On a lighter note...$2300 Ain't a bad price for that car if the only bad thing is the turbo. I paid more for my 91 N/A...course I paid for the Eclipse emblems. Anyhoo...without a working turbo that car is going to run like a 1.8 N/A because of your low compression ratio. Get it fixed and I think you'll be surprised at the difference in performance.

1.8 N/A 95HP
2.0 N/A 135HP
2.0 Turbo 195HP

Now he is just trying not to look like ass. Turbo's have never used fluid. Superchargers never use fluid. Tell him he lying about this mysterious fluid or have him show you a bottle of it.

Later,

Originally posted by MuttedTSiAWD
Now he is just trying not to look like ass. Turbo's have never used fluid. Superchargers never use fluid. Tell him he lying about this mysterious fluid or have him show you a bottle of it.

Later,

Then we will kick his ass with you.

Dude, this guy's ****ing with you. It's not like suddenly the way a turbo works suddenly changed one model year; they all use exhaust gasses for power, oil for spin, and water for cooling. That's it, that's all.

Btw, make sure you check your muffler bearings, they might be causing some of your boost problems. ;)

From the movie Road Trip

"You have a problem with your Rotator Splint . She runs fine now but not for long. I can have her back to you as good as new in a week."

Later,

ok since he is coming over tomorrow, is there any way I can check the turbo by myself to see if its bad? I don't want him lying to me, although I hate to say that because he seemed like an honest guy. Can I take the inlet pipe off and turn the car on to see if the turbo spins?

The Only way to check the turbo yourself is take it off and take it apart.

Later,

OMG
Oh my dear god that guy is full of #@%#@%#@%#@%!
Take off your turbo inlet pipe, try and spin it and see if ther is any shaft play inside the turbo. If your guage is not boosting above 0 and the car feels slow, more than likely the turbo is blown. Does it smoke at all?

....boost fluid
:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back