The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

when your job makes you half ass a job.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fehrion_sit

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2009
chalfont, Pennsylvania
i have this engine at work, its an EJ257 2.5L DOHC with a built bottom end. well it came in with piston slap. hot and cold it had this noise. so i pulled the motor and tore it down to find a potential point of failure like i usually do. im the engine guy at work. everyone else just seems to care about doing SI and EI and 30ks ... but id go mad doing the same horse shit every day.

anyways, this engine has major piston skirt wear on the thrust side in two cylinders. the skirts are no collapsed. there is no excessive out of round. but when i did the math, these forged pistons have .003 PTW ... so obviously i know thats too little. but work just but work just told me to put two pistons in it and ship it.

so long story short. this engine has my name on it with a go to go stamp, and it 10,000 miles itll be right back on my lift. ... i hate come backs. i wont even get into the lack of tune on this car.

owell...

What happens if you would stand up and tell them what needs to be done and the fact that your reputation (and theirs) is something you'd rather not ruin to save a few bucks, and then have the engine come back? If you're their go-to engine guy, they should trust your knowledge and experience and not ask you to cut corners.

Don't do it! The guy above the guy that told you to do it, will blame you later when it fails. Wait for the rest of the pistons, go to the guy above the guy if they don't want to give you the parts you need.

im fresh out of tech school. so my professional opinion doesnt really care much weight. i have a college level education and specialized in fabrication and engine repair. i took an extensive engine machining class. i documented my recommendation, i showed my boss the requirement sheet for the MLS comestic HG that is being used again which requires a 50RA surface finish.

i checked all four surfaces for flatness with a .0015 feeler. it passed. i used a rubber disc to clean the surfaces.

idk what else more to do. im between a rock and a hard place.

correct me if im wrong but a forged piston on a turbo engine should have .005 ish PTW ? im looking at my notes right now. " turbo applications, blowers, or Nitro, .005 +- .001 ".

i almost wanted to use a berrybush to hone another .002 out of those two cylinders.

PTW clearance is dependent on what the manufacturer uses on materials, such as alloy and coatings.

I know manley runs a .003 ptw on their coated pistons in the subaru engines.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back