The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

When would a GM MAF be a better gain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blk95gs

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 18, 2002
Havre De Grace, Maryland
I got a 3" GM MAF for free from a bud, so I was opting to go for a blow-thru setup on my 1G TSi. Lately, I've been questioning this setup, because I'm not looking to go really 'out-there' with modding my car. My planned setup was as follows:

-2.5 UICP w/GM MAF
-MAF translator
-3" intake pipe
-3" turbo-back w/ O2 eliminator
-Big 16G ported/clipped
-Dejon FMIC
-ported 2G exh. mani
-Pocketlogger

Right now I have a boost controller, ACT 2100, and a TurboXS RFL BOV vented to atm. I was thinking blow thru because of my BOV, but just wanted some input if anyone has close to the same setup. Thanks.

Originally posted by Blk95gs
I got a 3" GM MAF for free from a bud, so I was opting to go for a blow-thru setup on my 1G TSi. Lately, I've been questioning this setup, because I'm not looking to go really 'out-there' with modding my car. My planned setup was as follows:

-2.5 UICP w/GM MAF
-MAF translator
-3" intake pipe
-3" turbo-back w/ O2 eliminator
-Big 16G ported/clipped
-Dejon FMIC
-ported 2G exh. mani
-Pocketlogger

Right now I have a boost controller, ACT 2100, and a TurboXS RFL BOV vented to atm. I was thinking blow thru because of my BOV, but just wanted some input if anyone has close to the same setup. Thanks.

id have to say anywhere above the big 16g range?

To get more specific with the setup I'd like to run, I am hoping for low 13's to high 12's. Here's a more specific line-up:

-Dejon big FMIC
-Dejon UICP for GM MAS
-ported 2G manifold
-Evo 3 ported Big 16G w/34mm flapper
-3" downpipe w/O2 elim & external dump
-660's
-Walbro 255
-DSM performance fuel rail
-B&M command-flo A-FPR

So with the update, would anyone recommend a GM MAF? Substantial or minimal gains? Even if minimal, could I expect any long-term benefits?

Originally posted by Blk95gs
To get more specific with the setup I'd like to run, I am hoping for low 13's to high 12's. Here's a more specific line-up:

So with the update, would anyone recommend a GM MAF? Substantial or minimal gains? Even if minimal, could I expect any long-term benefits?

I would reccomend it but its not required, you would see more long time benefits of it than anything else

The GM MAF flows more than the 2G MAF. Other than power gains, you would get a faster spoolup from less intake restriction, and the blow-through setup allows more accurate air/fuel management based on after-intercooler air temps. Even replacing the OE MAF with a GM unit would net you better spool and some type of horsepower gains, or at least a stronger power curve. ( That last part sounds kinda iffy :p )

Go either way, its better than stock. :thumb:

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna try out the setup with the GM MAF.

So the Gm setup helps on any setup correct? Its just like the more stuff or bigger stuff you have the bigger difference you will see?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back