The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

When will the dsm's go up in value??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yea I really did!

Yeah sorry, I don't see the DSM becoming some sought after classic that fetches double their original MSRP. Most of the reasons have already been stated above.

These cars were the budget model to begin with. If you had the coin, you bought a 3000GT. And you only got a 3000GT because you couldn't afford an NSX, Supra, 300ZX, or RX-7. I'm not shooting down our platform or saying the original buyers were "poor folk", but that was the reality of the marketplace from a macro-economical standpoint. I'll always love my DSM and Mitsubishi, but it's just a cheap sports coupe from a budget brand.

For an old car to command high premiums 30, 40, or 50+ years from its build date, it needs to be rare or stir some kind of emotion. This car never became a cultural icon.
F&F doesn't count, because your average member of the public can't tell the difference between a Supra and an Eclipse. But say "Mustang", "DeLorean", or "Dodge Charger" and anybody will have fast, cool, romantic images cycle through their mind's eye.

I think this car will be lost in the shuffle of cheap 80s and 90s cars. 20 years from now, a perfect DSM example may command a five figure price tag, and a small percentage of car guys (car people are already a small percentage of the population) will pay it. Your average gearhead will move on down the line though.
You guys seem to have forgotten about the heart that powers these poor man evos. A Daem 4g63T! With this motor being discontinued and the more scarce they become as time goes on. As long as that motor stays stock and is in good condition, I see a fairly high price tag. These things are built like a f***en tank with stock internals I’m sure all of us can agree. #4g63

I’m surprised how much they have been going up last year. Hagerty now will insure them. Granted mine is a very clean car that was been gone threw head to toe. I have it insured under hagerty for $16,000 value. I purchased my 97 gsx 100% stock for $5,500 in 2009. The way prices are going mine would likely bring 10k+.

We have a whole thread about DSM values and yeah, the consensus is that the GSX is in heavy demand.

Used cars in general aren't depreciating much lately, and new cars are about to get a lot more expensive, so it's not solely because people suddenly appreciate DSMs a lot more. I checked listings today to see the value of my 2013 Infiniti G37X sedan that I paid $18,500 CAD for in January 2018 and found that insurance would likely pay out pretty much the same amount today if the car got written off. That's pretty much unheard of previously in used car markets.

I’m surprised how much they have been going up last year. Hagerty now will insure them. Granted mine is a very clean car that was been gone threw head to toe. I have it insured under hagerty for $16,000 value. I purchased my 97 gsx 100% stock for $5,500 in 2009. The way prices are going mine would likely bring 10k+.
I think I have a very well kept DSM with very low mileage 35k Original, I consider it a unicorn for its great condition. If I would sell mine I would put it up for close to 20k. If no one bought it or called me crazy I would just hold on to it.

I think I have a very well kept DSM with very low mileage 35k Original, I consider it a unicorn for its great condition. If I would sell mine I would put it up for close to 20k. If no one bought it or called me crazy I would just hold on to it.
Trying to sell a GST for $20k is craziness, I have a 92 1G AWD with 33k original miles, would love to know the market for it; if a 35K mile GST is worth $20k.. :thumb:

Trying to sell a GST for $20k is craziness, I have a 92 1G AWD with 33k original miles, would love to know the market for it; if a 35K mile GST is worth $20k.. :thumb:
I saw a 98 gst go for 16k in Illinois 100% stock pretty sure it had like 57k miles

Bring a trailer had a stock low miles GSX sell for 18k not that long ago. With all the work and OEM rebuild I am doing on mine I would absolutely ask starting 20K. And same thing as above, if no one wants it or thinks I am crazy then I will just keep it. Only real reason I want to sell is to get a GTR so not in a rush.

Last edited:
I saw a 98 gst go for 16k in Illinois 100% stock pretty sure it had like 57k miles
That's why I'm hoping soon I could get 20k. I have a 99 gst convertible with 35k miles. New paint. Everything in it works. The interior is immaculate , the engine bay you can eat off of. Everything's been changed or upgraded. I actually got stopped today , Someone wanted to buy it. When I told em 20k his mouth dropped. Then when he saw the immaculate condition he agreed its worth the price caus u ain't gona find many in this condition with this mileage.

There is currently a 1990 GSX on Ebay, 100k miles, looks like a repaint, price is at $10,100 with 5 more days to go:

I’ve been watching this since it popped up on my feed for $200 starting bid.

That's why I'm hoping soon I could get 20k. I have a 99 gst convertible with 35k miles. New paint. Everything in it works. The interior is immaculate , the engine bay you can eat off of. Everything's been changed or upgraded. I actually got stopped today , Someone wanted to buy it. When I told em 20k his mouth dropped. Then when he saw the immaculate condition he agreed its worth the price caus u ain't gona find many in this condition with this mileage.

Convert that to a GSX and you could maybe get 20k.

Na, if I remember correctly , but please correct me if I'm wrong but if the awd has issue the parts aren't made anymore? Idk exactly but I remember reading some things on rare parts when it comes to fixing the awd?

You are definitely right that awd parts are getting harder to find BUT that actually makes my point more valid that if you swapped your drivetrain over to a gsx you could ask more for a convertible gst. Not to mention how rare the swaps are.

You are definitely right that awd parts are getting harder to find BUT that actually makes my point more valid that if you swapped your drivetrain over to a gsx you could ask more for a convertible gst. Not to mention how rare the swaps are.
I get what your saying. But on the longevity side of things who would want to risk it? The awd is nice , no question but 5 or 10 yrs for now those parts might be completely gone Where's as a fwd if u snap an axle it can be replaced easily. I try to look in the future. Like I have a fully rebuilt stage 2 transmission with an LSD from TMZ still boxed never used. Why did I buy it? Because some of those 2nd gear components are now discontinued. How much do you think in a few yrs this stage 2 never used TMZ Trans could fetch me now that some of these components are gone? That's the point I'm trying to make. Either my trans goes but I have the piece of mind that I have a quality peice here waiting or someone else who's scouring the internet for that rare prolly used parts is gona have to pay a premium for what I have.

Last edited:
A recent auction on Bringatrailer.com for a 90 Talon tsi: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-eagle-talon-6/
11k for a nice working example.:hmm: IMO that's worth it if the car hardly needs much and is a good runner. But this does bolster the impression that prices are rising briskly on early examples in good condition. Collector status is a fickle thing: look at all the Corvairs that sell. Baffling!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back