The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

When will the dsm's go up in value??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

praisethelowered

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2016
saint george, Utah
I've always been into dsm's and I have always wondered why they aren't going up in value yet? Is it due to it being somewhat a Chrysler product? I just think these cars are the unkown gem in the automotive world and that someday a lot more people will see that.. Anyone else feel the same?

Although I wasn't around to see it, most cars go through this stage when their value drops into a plateau and stays stagnant for quite some time before going back up. I wasn't around to see it happen to the old mustangs and camaros and things like that but when I worked at Shepherds, I heard that happened in the 80's and 90's with the old "sporty" gm and ford cars and now they are collectible and desirable. I dont know if its my optimism and heart for this community but I feel as though it will happen here as well. Most of the cars that weren't well kept and put together to last one more day wont last in the long run but for the people who keep their stuff nice, it may last to see desirability again. Just my .02

Realistically, probably never.

Take the Galant VR-4 for example: A limited edition Mitsubishi imported in very small quantities. Yet, over 2 decades later, the dwindling few left still aren't worth a lot. Now, apply this fact to the mass produced DSM platform, and it's safe to say they will never be worth a lot.

That's not a bad thing, IMO. These cars being cheaper than dirt is the reason they have such a following. If you want a car that builds equity, buy a Porsche.

I just figured since the performance of these is so high and the quality of them (for the time) is so high that they would bring more money some day. In my opinion the 98-99 eclipse is my favorite but the 1g is still a sexy car, I feel the styling of the 1g and the 98-99 are pretty timeless. It's just crazy to me that evos have stayed at such a high price but these cars just keep going down or stay somewhat the same now. I still think it's a good thing that they aren't expensive but I just had a thought like "why wouldn't they go up?".

"why wouldn't they go up?"

- Supply and demand: There's currently no shortage of DSMs, and probably won't be for quite some time.

- Novelty: Let's face it, these aren't 60's model Dodge Chargers. And even when the DSM is 50 years old, it won't have a following similar to the one classic muscle cars do today.

- DSM'ers: The same types of people modding/hacking these cars up today will likely be the same types of people buying them when they are 50 years old. I doubt the DSM platform will ever make the transition from "cheap platform to make go fast" to "collector car". DSM'ers just aren't built that way.

If you're looking for a import car that's going to go up in value from the mid 90's it's pretty much Supra or bust. (Unless you spend big money to import something wild like an R34 Skyline or something rare like an FTO) I think a big reason why cars from the 60's went up as much as they did is because the cars from the 70's and 80's just weren't all that cool. So the supply of cool cars was down and the demand was obviously there. I can't see anyone spending big money on a DSM when you have cars like Evo's and GTR's that came shortly after them. That being said, the more DSM's that end up in a junkyard, the better it is for those of us that own nice ones!

It all comes from nostalgia. The value of 1st gen Camaros and mustangs were never that great in the 80s going into the early 90s because it was still "dads sports car" Now that most of the have been wrecked/destroyed the value has been steadily moving upwards. That "upswing" in value has not hit even into the 80s yet for the muscle cars, third gen camaros and fox body mustangs are still dirt cheap, we won't see an increase in value until you see a low mileage, clean 90 IROC go for 30k or more.. so strap in for about 40 years. R34s are expensive because of rarity. if they made hundreds of thousands of them over on this side of the pond they'd probably be going for around 10-15k in "driveable" condition.. That being said my friend had an R32 imported for around 15k so in another few years when they're actually available to get from japan.. The value will shoot up in skylines and then come back down as more and more people bring them over.

Take the Galant VR-4 for example: A limited edition Mitsubishi imported in very small quantities. Yet, over 2 decades later, the dwindling few left still aren't worth a lot.
A 2GB Eclipse body is much more desirable than a GVR4 no matter how limited the Galant is. Ever wonder why a 3000 GT goes for more than a Stealth?

Now this doesn't mean that the Eclipse will ever increase in value, but the timeless shape increases its odds.

It all comes from nostalgia. The value of 1st gen Camaros and mustangs were never that great in the 80s going into the early 90s because it was still "dads sports car" Now that most of the have been wrecked/destroyed the value has been steadily moving upwards. That "upswing" in value has not hit even into the 80s yet for the muscle cars, third gen camaros and fox body mustangs are still dirt cheap, we won't see an increase in value until you see a low mileage, clean 90 IROC go for 30k or more.. so strap in for about 40 years. R34s are expensive because of rarity. if they made hundreds of thousands of them over on this side of the pond they'd probably be going for around 10-15k in "driveable" condition.. That being said my friend had an R32 imported for around 15k so in another few years when they're actually available to get from japan.. The value will shoot up in skylines and then come back down as more and more people bring them over.

You can actually legally import a R32 Skyline already. There is a "25 year rule" so anything from 1991 back is exempt from modern safety standards. This is going to be another reason why our cars may never go up much in value, the muscle cars from the 60's didn't have this over seas competition.

Idk bout the rest of you, but i see hacked together dsms going for pretty outrageous prices all the time. There are routinely 1g and 2g ones within 200 miles of me that are just hacked asking anywhere from 2500 to 8k. Could be an isolated issue, but i consider any car pre- 2005 a project unless it's a civic or dd. So paying more than a couple grand for something ill have to completely redo isnt smart by my opinion.

As for when they will gain value, id say another 10 years or so and they'll pick up momentum, like 3rd gen camaros have. Used to pick those up for nithing and throw a decent SB in them and run the shiz out of them. Now you can't get one thats busted for less than 4500.

My take? Well...early Datsun Zs are accruing some value after bottoming out in the '80s / '90s. Mid '80s cars are showing some hints. My guess is another 15 years before we see any movement north and 20 before it's obvious. It always seems to be a couple years after you stop easily finding parts at the junk yard.

You can actually legally import a R32 Skyline already. There is a "25 year rule" so anything from 1991 back is exempt from modern safety standards. This is going to be another reason why our cars may never go up much in value, the muscle cars from the 60's didn't have this over seas competition.

I'm aware of this.. I guess I should of worded it better. My friend had an R32 LEGALLY Imported and is driving it on a regular basis,sorry for the confusion.

As for when they will gain value, id say another 10 years or so and they'll pick up momentum, like 3rd gen camaros have. Used to pick those up for nithing and throw a decent SB in them and run the shiz out of them. Now you can't get one thats busted for less than 4500.

Really? They're still selling for 1500-2k constantly around me. That may be regional then Tame.

5 years ago I sold my 93 for 2200. It was well sorted out but had paint cancer and I couldnt get a penny more. Now I cant find one half as nice for 3 to4k or more.

A 2GB Eclipse body is much more desirable than a GVR4 no matter how limited the Galant is.

That's a matter of opinion, and depends who you're asking.

My point was, these cars (1gs, 2gs, Galants, whatever) will probably never be worth a lot, and I think the Galant is a good example of what the future holds for the DSM platform. The Galant VR-4 has a prestigious rally heritage, and was produced, imported, and homologated simply so Mitsubishi could compete in Group A rally. There are also very few left in the U.S.; perhaps more than half of the 3,000 imported are probably scrapped and in junk yards. Yet, all of this combined still hasn't dramatically driven the price of these cars up. Granted, the good examples do fetch decent coin, but nothing like some other cars of this rarity and vintage.

Now, if the above is any indicator as to how the DSM platform's value will trend in the future, then I would set me expectations low. The DSM will always be a 90's $hitbox you make go fast for cheap, IMO. I highly doubt you'll ever see the DSM being sold for more than the original MSRP like many other classic cars. It's just simply never going to appeal as a classic to the masses.

As sad as it sounds, GVR4's were never given the screen time like the 2g. hate it if you want, but the 2g eclipse is extremely recognizable due to the F&F franchise. Not many people even know what a GVR4 is due to the fact that only 3000 made it over here.

Yeah sorry, I don't see the DSM becoming some sought after classic that fetches double their original MSRP. Most of the reasons have already been stated above.

These cars were the budget model to begin with. If you had the coin, you bought a 3000GT. And you only got a 3000GT because you couldn't afford an NSX, Supra, 300ZX, or RX-7. I'm not shooting down our platform or saying the original buyers were "poor folk", but that was the reality of the marketplace from a macro-economical standpoint. I'll always love my DSM and Mitsubishi, but it's just a cheap sports coupe from a budget brand.

For an old car to command high premiums 30, 40, or 50+ years from its build date, it needs to be rare or stir some kind of emotion. This car never became a cultural icon.
F&F doesn't count, because your average member of the public can't tell the difference between a Supra and an Eclipse. But say "Mustang", "DeLorean", or "Dodge Charger" and anybody will have fast, cool, romantic images cycle through their mind's eye.

I think this car will be lost in the shuffle of cheap 80s and 90s cars. 20 years from now, a perfect DSM example may command a five figure price tag, and a small percentage of car guys (car people are already a small percentage of the population) will pay it. Your average gearhead will move on down the line though.

As sad as it sounds, GVR4's were never given the screen time like the 2g. hate it if you want, but the 2g eclipse is extremely recognizable due to the F&F franchise. Not many people even know what a GVR4 is due to the fact that only 3000 made it over here.

You guys are missing my point. The Galant is just one example of the things that typically make a car valuable over time to real collectors, yet is not terrible valuable even today. The DSM is none of those, and therefore in my opinion, even less likely to be worth mad stacks over time.

The 2G Eclipse may be the most recognizable DSM, or be the preferred body style by many people, but those things will not be factors that make it valuable to collectors or enthusiasts in the future. That would only hold true in a world where everyone wants a 2G Eclipse and none could be found. The chances of that happening are pretty much zero, especially considering the amount of 2G cars produced.

I do believe once a car hits classic status, the price has a tendency to go up, but the 1g dsm and gvr4 will take longer if they ever pick up significant value. Even then, if a mediocre example is presented, no one will want to pay high prices for it. Only prime examples will start to catch good prices, but nowhere near their invested value.

If youre trying to get into a car as an investment, youre in the wrong culture, haha. Muscle cars/classics are where investments are made, and even then, its a crap shoot.

Far as im concerned a car isnt about money you can make off it, its about the experience you have building it and driving it. Blood, sweat, tears, yelling, hatred, then smiles, laughing and euphoria when you get in the drivers seat; thise are the reasons i get my cars. If i wanted to make money, id be in stocks or run a chop shop.

As far as regional differences go, i think that heavily plays into the pricing for dsms. Its been getting bad here for a while.

I just tried to pick up another the other week, 92 talon fwd turbo. Had been sitting for 5+ years in open weather with the engine partially disassembled, windows partially down etc, and he wouldnt take less than 1500. I tried telling him the car needed ground up, but he wouldnt budge even after i offered 1k and some trade stuff, so i have up. Saw it at the junk yard just the other day, he prolly got $150 for it, and it was beat. Made me sad.

In all the years I've been around these cars I haven't met one person who wanted to keep their DSM stock. There is just no demand for a stock DSM, people buy these cars to go fast for cheap. And as long as you can buy/build a 400+awhp DSM for under $3k they'll never rise in value. Hell, there's a guy here that built a 10 second Glalant and has less than $2k into it.

They have just enough quirks and idiosyncrasies to keep the casual car guy with cash away from them, and the people who know these cars also know you don't have to break the bank to buy one and make it fast.

I do believe once a car hits classic status, the price has a tendency to go up, but the 1g dsm and gvr4 will take longer if they ever pick up significant value.

What makes you think that? Not busting your balls, just trying to understand your thought process. To me, it would be the other way around, especially for the VR-4.

Less to choose from no part's it's a car with a platform that's holding on those like me who wish to preserve it the best I can.

What makes you think that? Not busting your balls, just trying to understand your thought process. To me, it would be the other way around, especially for the VR-4.

From what ive seen, less parts interchange and availability for certain vr4 specific stuff, and the fact that the exposure for them and the 1g was lower. Most ppl have very little knowledge that there was a performance 1g E/T/L before the 2g, purely from the exposure the 2g got in the late 90's - early 2ks.

Again, this is all speculative and just based on my own experience and findings, i wouldnt be surprised if things go exactly opposite of how i say haha.

I feel that if anything is going to up significantly, it will be the nice Galants. If DSM's do keep going fast and some companies stay in the business with them with aftermarket parts and all and they continue to go fast I do think that later on down the line, their price will come back up to car enthusiasts because they will still be at the track grabbing attention.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back