The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

When does it become a "racecar"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00st3d

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2005
Yukon, Oklahoma
With all the different things we do to our cars, when do you no longer consider it a street car?

My personal car still has power windows, locks and driver seat. Full interior including plastics. Stereo and working heat. A/C and anti-lock breaks removed. It's about to get the core support and front end cut off and changed to tubular. This to make room for the forward facing setup and making any engine and trans work easier. I'll be able to pull the motor in less than 30 minutes should the need arise.

If you can only use it for racing then it's a (pure) race car.
If you can win races consistently and still daily drive it without doing maintenance every week, then it's a (street-strip-track) race car.
If it looks/sounds fast but only wins because of luck, it's not a race car.

^^^Opinions.

Theres another thread about this somewhere but oh well..

Me, if I cant drive it whenever I want to whether it be summer, fall, winter it isnt a street car. I choose not to drive it in the winter because of the crap they put down for snow. My car has heat, full interior, DOT street tires, runs on gas gotten from localy pumps AND sees roughly 5k miles a season.

Hell, just the other day I almost took my white car out of storage because my winter DD was leaking fuel over the exhaust. I wasnt the slightest bit worried about driving it in the winter.

So, in my eyes if you have a cage in your cars, who the hell cares? If you have to trailer your car to a local hang out event because you have some huge tires on it and would most likely get picked up, or its too cold and your window is fogging up ect, you have no business calling your car a street car. Not saying if you have a trailer available and you're going to the track and IF you happen to break you have a ride home, but if you cant confidently DRIVE your car somewhere no matter the weather, absolutely not.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back