The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

When Die Grinders Explode

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swordfish

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 8, 2002
Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Yesterday I was finishing up a FMIC install and was cutting some brackets for a new fan. I grabbed up ye ole die grinder and mashed the trigger to spool it up to get ready to cut. Just as I was about to cut BOOM! The cutoff wheel flys about and half of it buries itself in my leg. Check it .

Yesterday
Today

jeff

OUCH! looks like somethin from the movie ALIENS. LOL

be more careful and check your equipment. :thumb:

for some reason the move "a christmas story" popped into my head at the part where the mom is sayin "u'll shoot ur eye out"

That would have caused me to say fvck about 4 million times really loud. Someday that will be a great battlescar :thumb:

I did that at work. I've also had impact guns explode in my hand. Quite entertaining, once you realized what happened. :)

But that will be a nice scar for you!

One of my classmates once installed a low speed cut-off wheel on a high-speed grinder… He had a similar cut only it was in this THROAT!!! He was fine after a dozen of stitches but taught us all a valuable lesson, I never looked the same at any device that spun above 10,000 rpms, no matter how small or harmless it looked :).

Leon
RR

Originally posted by GRNDSM
One of my classmates once installed a low speed cut-off wheel on a high-speed grinder… He had a similar cut only it was in this THROAT!!! He was fine after a dozen of stitches but taught us all a valuable lesson, I never looked the same at any device that spun above 10,000 rpms, no matter how small or harmless it looked :).

Leon
RR

your turbo spins at 150000 rpm OMG ;)

Originally posted by GRNDSM

Leon
RR

I work in the nuclear industry. There was just a safety bulletin circulated on this very topic. Someone did exactly what you described but was less fortunate and lost his life. He was wearing safety glasses and a face shield. The fragments pierced his face shield and inflicted mortal wounds.

Safety first folks--your fingers, eyes or life are not worth a car.

Originally posted by 2-0turbo

I work in the nuclear industry. There was just a safety bulletin circulated on this very topic. Someone did exactly what you described but was less fortunate and lost his life. He was wearing safety glasses and a face shield. The fragments pierced his face shield and inflicted mortal wounds.

Safety first folks--your fingers, eyes or life are not worth a car.
jeezuz chizt OMG

was the grinding disk (think im thinking of what you are) cracked?

also i had a something similer only on a smaller scale happn with a roto tool and a air drivin larger roto like tool cuting disk happen to me.. in both cases some idiot just tossed it in the tool box (hence the cracked disks on spool up *pop*).. the rotozip did squat to me other than leave a small scratch but the air driven one left a nice scar on my arm that tuck 5 stich's to close..

I got to where i take the disks off before i put it up then put them back on when i go to use it... this way i know the disks are fine...anoying to do though...

Thats pretty brutal. Dont worry, chicks dig battle wounds.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back