The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G wheel stud spins? can't get wheel off!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewayne Waldron

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 5, 2009
Salem, Virginia
Don't know what happened but the other day I had a flat and for some reason one of the wheel studs keeps spinning and I can't break the lug nut loose. I'm stuck and I need to get my wheel off. What do I do?

You must break the lug nut loose while the car is on the ground..Otherwise it wil just spin when it's in the air..

Giggle.

OP: You have to split the lug nut to get the wheel off and then replace the stud. Most tire places know how to split a lug nut if you don't.

It sometimes happens when people try to change their wheels right after racing. The heat from the rotors transfers to the hub and you end up stripping the lugs in the hubs when you loosen the nuts. It's just another reason not to be impatient. (Not that I'm accusing the OP of this; there are plenty of other ways for the knurl on a lug to strip.)

Google "splitting lug nut" and you'll find plenty. I, personally, would go with the chisel-and-hammer method. It takes a really good swing and can cause some grief to the wheel (because the lug isn't providing any support), but it's the quickest method. Of course, if by luck you have a steel wheel stuck on there, a claw-type splitter will work, too. The problem with claw-types is that rarely fit on a lug-nut that is buried in the hole of an alloy wheel.

I used a drill once to remove a nut on a friends car. We didnt wanna damage the rim. It took a good hour and alot of wd40 but eventually we drilled deep enough and broke the nut/stud off. Patience is key

Yeppers. That's the method for people who don't want to risk damage to the wheel. Total pain (assuming you can keep the lug from spinning while you drill it), but safe.

If you have access to a welder you may be able to tack the stud to the hub. You will still need to install a new stud but it may get you out a jam without ruining a wheel.

If you have access to a welder you may be able to tack the stud to the hub. You will still need to install a new stud but it may get you out a jam without ruining a wheel.

There's only one trick to this method: getting the little guy with the miniature welder in behind the hub to do the welding. By my estimate, the guy will need to be about 3mm tall at most. His welding equipment will need to be small enough for him to carry. Might be hard to find such a guy and equipment. I googled, but couldn't find a welder who was shorter than 3' 5" and given the expected change in Florida law, he plans to return to his previous (and much-higher-paying) job as a professional bowling ball.

In short (as it were), the OP should just split the nut (as I have just tried to split yours). :)

Last edited:
Won't adding a tack weld throw off the balance of the hub? I'm currently in the same boat with multiple bolts spinning freely

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back