The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Wheel stud issue....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello fellow DSM addicts!!

So among the many issues plaguing my current DSM, I have discovered yet an other issue, but I can't seem to figure it out. So basically on the front drivers side wheel hub, one of the studs somehow managed to break lose within in the hub. So basically the splines are stripped causing the stud to be lose and spin making removing the lug nut near impossible. I haven't messed with it much because I want more ideas from y'all. I would prefer to save my wheel, but everything else can get shopped up a bit since it will all be repaired. Thanks for the looking!

Burn the nut off with a torch and ruin the wheel or spend the time with a drill to drill and chisel the old stud if you want to save the wheel that bad.

You can try taking all the other lug nuts off and using something to pry outward pressure on the wheel and see if you can use that pressure and have it catch. You may need two people. One to pry outward on the wheel and the other to loosen the stud. If that doesn’t work get to drilling.

Have someone throw a couple tac welds on the hub/lug on the back side. Get the nut out and then remove wheel, grind off the small welds beat the old lug out and put in a new one.

You can try taking all the other lug nuts off and using something to pry outward pressure on the wheel and see if you can use that pressure and have it catch. You may need two people. One to pry outward on the wheel and the other to loosen the stud. If that doesn’t work get to drilling.

Definitely try this first OP. It may work out, may not, but at least you won't necessarily be destroying your wheel in the process. I have unfortunately removed many lug nuts that were seized. Not a fun job, but can be done without damage to the wheel.

Thank you all for your advice. I have not started messing with it yet (dealing with a fuel leak at the moment), but I should be able to tackle it soon. I do not possess a torch or the knowledge of how to weld. I will try to use a prybar and will give an update when I have tried.

I had a stripped stud on mine a week ago, drilling it out was the only thing that worked, didn't damage the wheel at all if your careful. just need to find a replacement stud that fits.

I had a stripped stud on mine a week ago, drilling it out was the only thing that worked, didn't damage the wheel at all if your careful. just need to find a replacement stud that fits.
There is a tool called a nut splitter. It's like a very strong C-clamp with a blade. If the nut is well clear of the wheel this is probably the fastest method if you can find the right style splitter -- they're not all alike and some would do this while others wouldn't fit. Just clamp it on and wrench 'er down.

Second fastest method if most of the nut is clear of the wheel: Use an angle grinder to cut a slot right down the middle of the nut and lug bolt. Drive a cold chisel into the slot and split off the nut.

A really good man with a cutting torch can get that nut off almost without damaging the bolt and without damage to a steel wheel; I don't know about alloy wheels though.

If none of the above then if you can grind the bolt down flush with the nut, drill two holes about 3 or 4 mm diameter into the nut 180 degrees apart. Use a cold chisel to split the nut through one of the holes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back