The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Wheel hop????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerocygnal

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Okay this is a new one on me for DSM's, I only had this problem with Mustangs and never one an AWD system.

If at any time I step on the gas fully in first, second or third the Right Rear wheel breaks loose traction and starts spinning like it has more power to it than the others. This is the damndest thing and I can honestly say I have never seen such a thing in this type of car...especially while it is already rolling!!! While the wheel spins that side of the car shakes violently. I checked the strut, the swaybar connection, the bolts on the strut, the control arm bolts. The only thing I did notice is that there was alot of play in the drive shaft carrier bearings. Like you could move it up and down an inch or more. IS that normal for these cars, or are the carrier bearings worn out???

Jeeze now I can tack that onto the 1500RPM idle that started once it got cold outside tonight...

Someone please tell me the rear diff didn't just take a crap...

Thanks in advance

AWD is outa my leage but I love chatting on these and getting info. This may sound real obvious and stupid but if it moves that much on one side and not the other than theres a problem there. (DUH) But, from what I understand from AWD is that all wheels move at the same rate. Thats why you cant have smaller tires in the front, or vise versa, cuz it will blow the transfer case. So if one tire is spinning faster than the others than there is a problem in the gears. It may just be hopping violently cuz the loose bearing more so than spinning. The spyder gear also has a tendency to break or git worn especially if you drive it hard. IDK...this is my 2cents but its free so do with it what you want:D if I am way off base lemme know too. I was thinking about putting AWD in my 2WD but it seems way too involved.

Well...yeah unless you're into relocating your fuel tank, cutting out the bottom of your trunk and all that good stuff heh:D

I have a feeling it may just be the carrier bearins in the driveshaft causing an imbalance. I would think that if the rear diff had a problem it would be apparent at all times when driving. But then again AWD is new to me too so I'm not going to make any assumptions until I've got some feedback and checked some things out.

Thanks

Anyone else? I'm basically looking for known problems here. I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand through this because I could probably just get under there and find out. But what I need to know is how much do the carrier bearings move? I don't want to replace them if it's not going to do any good.

I did the FWD-AWD mod. It's not that involved if you have car nerds for friends that will do any work for pizza and beer!

Anyway, I had wheel hop.. violent wheel hop. Just like you. Differential took a big big crap.

-jay

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back