The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Wheel bearing, a DIY or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tha Fella Dylan

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 9, 2012
Algonac, Michigan
I've never done much when it comes to suspension/steering stuff on my car because I thought it wasn't worth the hassle. I have a bad wheel bearing (front driver side-FWD), I was wondering if this is something I can do with basic tools at home or no?

I've read some write ups on here but no one actually says they did it themselves. I noticed you might need a press? Looking for some insight guys to save a couple bucks. If you have done it, is it worth the money saved? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:

The wheel bearing ended up being my problem. I replaced the oem tie rods because they were shot. Now my tires sit like ducks feet. The fronts stick out. I've read the alignment threads but they don't mention how to adjust the tie rod ends. This whole thing has angered me. I've read and read, watched YouTube. I'm ready to Craigslist this car. Any input guys?

LOL Don't craigslist the car over an alignment. Typically, this has to be performed by a so-called "professional".
You're beating yourself up over it. You need to stop. :)

Use sticks use strings, use your eyes (I do), get it close enough to drive it somewhat normally and roll it onto an alignment rack. I can tell, for some reason, you're reluctant to do this but I see it as your ticket from oil puddles to sitting in the cockpit.

Hey guys, I need to do my wheel bearing but I've been told it's pretty much guaranteed for my hub to be stuck to the axle. What are my options if I've got no way of getting the wheel hub off the axle?

That question has been answered in this thread already. You will need to buy new axles.

Okay, I just wanted to clarify because a friend, also a DSM owner, had told me that I would need the entire suspension assembly with the spindle and all. So how would I go about doing it if I need to replace the axle? Will I have to cut the old one out or can I unbolt it and slide it right out with the hub assembly and then install the new axle on with my new hub assembly?

as far as getting the axles out try lifting the car as high as possible on the side you are working on and with the nut and washer removed soak the axle with penetrating oil . let the car sit and then keep going back and spraying the axle . then when you are ready put the nut back on so its flush with the end of the axle this way when you beat the axle you wont damage the threads .

One last question. For the tie rod ends, if I was gonna remove the wheel to adjust it. Do I just remove one with the steering wheel straight? This is gona take a whole....,smh
If the steering wheel was centered and the car was rolling straight before replacing tie rod ends, then you adjust both tie rods an equal amount (half the amount required to get zero toe) to keep the steering wheel centered. If you only adjust one side, the steering wheel will not be centered. If you don't care where the steering wheel ends up, you can adjust them any way you like to get zero toe, although if you go too far you may not be able to turn the wheels all the way in one direction.
If all this is too much for you, just take it to an alignment shop.

Okay, I just wanted to clarify because a friend, also a DSM owner, had told me that I would need the entire suspension assembly with the spindle and all. So how would I go about doing it if I need to replace the axle? Will I have to cut the old one out or can I unbolt it and slide it right out with the hub assembly and then install the new axle on with my new hub assembly?

" If it was anything like mine, your not going to get it out without damaging the axle end, or the hub. Take it to a welder and have him cut it out. I had to do that, and it took him probably 30 minutes with the cutting torch. Charged me $20."

I just finished doing my tie rod ends guys. Thanks for all the input. But for who asked, I prefer to do things myself. It gives me knowledge and practice for the future. Some people are okay with paying people to do the work but I like to learn. I hate shops messing with my car. My last mechanic argued with me that my car was an SRT4, not an eclipse. I pulled my car out of there and never went back.

The overall thing took me about an hour. I've never taken my wheels off so many times. I used two taw measures and a straight edge ruler. Had a ton of people say doing your own alignment was impossible but it's not. Credit goes to Luv2rallye.

I looked at my hub assembly, tinkered with the rust covered bolts and decided that ones for someone with experience. Driving 2 hours to get that done. Hope this thread helps someone out down the road.

I just finished doing my tie rod ends guys. Thanks for all the input. But for who asked, I prefer to do things myself. It gives me knowledge and practice for the future. Some people are okay with paying people to do the work but I like to learn. I hate shops messing with my car. My last mechanic argued with me that my car was an SRT4, not an eclipse. I pulled my car out of there and never went back.

The overall thing took me about an hour. I've never taken my wheels off so many times. I used two taw measures and a straight edge ruler. Had a ton of people say doing your own alignment was impossible but it's not. Credit goes to Luv2rallye.

I looked at my hub assembly, tinkered with the rust covered bolts and decided that ones for someone with experience. Driving 2 hours to get that done. Hope this thread helps someone out down the road.
Wow that's the opposite of what I would have done. I can bang, beat, torch and cut up stuff all day long but getting an alignment done is something I would leave to the machines.

Well what if I were to just buy a spindle, axle, and hub from someone and just swap it in just like that? Wouldn't that be a little easier?

Sure, but that's like saying it would be easier to have bought a car from California so rust wouldn't be an issue. It's a matter of how much sweat you can afford or how much cash you have.

Also no one said that every single hub is rust welded to the axle. It wouldn't hurt to give it a go and see if they cooperate for you.

Trust me I get what you're saying, it's just that I can't afford any downtime and seeing as how I live in Ontario and the car was wintered throughout it's life, chances are pretty good that it'll be impossible to get off, the other three were. I'd rather just do it the easy way once, apply a good amount of anti-seize on it for next time, and be done with it. The other three have already been done and anti-seized not too long ago by the previous owner so this is the last one to get out of the way.

I still remember my first time I took my 01 stratus in to get a wheel bearing done. Even being sixteen at the time I was still like "I could even do that". Plus labor f***ks you over here, i think its up to 80/hr. Thats eight or so dollars you could save by doing it yourself. Ive done two wheel bearings on 2g eclipses and i can honestly say they arent that bad, even if they are rusted (me being from Nebraska there is ALWAYS rust). IMO do it yourself, save some $$. And just smile because its another thing you know how to do :)

I still remember my first time I took my 01 stratus in to get a wheel bearing done. Even being sixteen at the time I was still like "I could even do that". Plus labor f***ks you over here, i think its up to 80/hr. Thats eight or so dollars you could save by doing it yourself. Ive done two wheel bearings on 2g eclipses and i can honestly say they arent that bad, even if they are rusted (me being from Nebraska there is ALWAYS rust). IMO do it yourself, save some $$. And just smile because its another thing you know how to do :)

Ive always do things myself, from home repair to cars because I cant bring myself to do something I can teach myself to do, expand my tool collection, and still cost less than hiring someone.

Now back breaking labor is different, I wasnt about to repair my rock wall or redo my roof ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back