The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Whats your opinion on Mustangs???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
boostedinaz said:
Have you ever been in a high power, IE big turbo and big injector, DSM? Do three highway pulls with that car and see what the gas gauge tells you.

nope, and i dont plan on it, im quite happy with my n/a eclipse, that gets about 30 mpg on the highway and 27mpg in the city

boostedinaz said:
Lets not let this turn into a V8 VS 4 banger thread. It is all opinion and personal prefrence and judgine by the "theory" so far on that subject I dont think it will go anywere fast.

im not, i stated my opinion. thats the whole point of this thread. posts like that get threads like this locked

There are two reasons for my dislike for mustangs:
a) they are a dime a dozen, there are WAY too many of them around so when I roll up to them its like "oh boy, another one." especially the last generation.
b) the owners are generally arrogant...if you aren't driving a mustang you aren't fast.

I probably have most problems with the "GT" crowd, they think their car is so damn fast when in fact its a overrated and underpowered vehicle...they like to talk trash too.

The only MUSTANG I respect is the supercharged Cobras..those things are monsters.

i have extreme hate for SN95's and SOHC 4.6's

I love my fox for what it is

I have a swap, and plenty of other mods, (which i did in my garage with the help of friends) and the only car I've owned that's compared to it was my Talon

IMO 95+ Stangs are played out, and Foxbody Stang's are getting there, just a matter of time before people start modding smogged out 70's Stangs because it'll be the only stock Stang they can find haha

but is does seem like there are plenty of stang owners that don't know shit and don't work on their own car. I spent 4 hours in my unheated garage last night it 20 degree weather putting in a new starter with my best friend (yeah it was cold) and I loved it, if you don't get satisfaction from working on your own car. yet it's modded, you don't deserve it.

oh and i also know there's plenty of other fast cars besides Mustangs

I have a 94 Mustang GT and my 95 Talon. Both cars get similar gas mileage, but the difference is the Mustang gets piss water, while the talon costs $.50 a gallon more, plus the methanol when it runs out. Also the mustang uses cheap oil where the talon is $5 a quart.

Granted my Mustang is mostly stock and the talon is far from. Both cars are fun to drive and have completely different power curves.

The low end torque and sound from the mustang makes it a blast, and the top end screaming in the talon is awesome.

The only thing that is kind of ### in the mustangs (5.0) is the fact that at over 500hp you start risking cracking the block. A 4G63 block is much stronger than the 5.0, unless you get a dart block which isnt cheap.

Drivers have nothing to do with the car. Their is no reason to say "mustangs suck because the drivers a ###s." In this town, its the ricers that are out of control, and that included the DSM drivers.

-Dallas J

you can girdle 5.0 blocks to make them stronger, my Windsor block is on thin ice (same block as 5.0, just taller deck) around 550-600 HP. if i decide to keep it and get heads after heads i'll be adding a girdle

redneckkiller said:
you can girdle 5.0 blocks to make them stronger, my Windsor block is on thin ice (same block as 5.0, just taller deck) around 550-600 HP. if i decide to keep it and get heads after heads i'll be adding a girdle

Adding a girdle helps support the bottom end of the engine. The cracks start on the top side. As was explained to me by the guys on the turbomustang forum, it doesnt help anything in the way of stopping cracking.

This is coming from guys who have cracked several blocks.

-Dallas J

Dallas J said:
Adding a girdle helps support the bottom end of the engine. The cracks start on the top side. As was explained to me by the guys on the turbomustang forum, it doesnt help anything in the way of stopping cracking.

This is coming from guys who have cracked several blocks.

-Dallas J

hmm you learn something new everyday :)

redneckkiller said:
i don't wanna watch the vid but is it Brian Murillo's Stang that was featured in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords? that thing is bitchen

Yeah it is

paranoidTSi said:
There are two reasons for my dislike for mustangs:
a) they are a dime a dozen, there are WAY too many of them around so when I roll up to them its like "oh boy, another one." especially the last generation.
b) the owners are generally arrogant...if you aren't driving a mustang you aren't fast.

Haha. My the hypocrisy in this post. So you mean to tell me that 2G Eclipses aren't a dime a dozen? In my opinion if you were compare Japanese to American cars in terms of popularity, a Mustang would be a Civic and a Camaro would be an Eclipse. Everyone has one of these cars, so don't act like DSMs are so "rare." And as far as arrogance goes, I've seen a ton of arrogance on our message boards. Some people think that having AWD and a turbo automatically makes them faster than the speed of light....

i think with the rouche kit it looks good :thumb: but i drove one.. its quick but i just dont like the feel of when iam driving it.. it feels too high off the ground and every step on the gas i have to look over the front end raised.. i love the lower stance of an import. but not a hater on V-8's people have different taste in wemon as they do in there cars.. :thumb:

Granted a lot of mustangs run around with exhaust and gears and think their shit doesnt stink, when in fact it does. But the reality lies in this fact. There is only one car I would trade my DSM for, a 90-92 5.0 coupe. For a fraction of what I have spent on my car I would have a car that not only sounds cooler, but is more reliable, easier and cheaper to work on, and much faster down the track.

To each their own.

I think this thread is ironic since most mustang and dsm guys seem to either own both or tend to have a mutal respect.

PS - Ripping an AWD DSM through an intersection in a mustang gets the greatest reactions.

personally, cosmetic wise mustangs(esp 05) r bad and the performance are nice and with a lil work that get the job done....but the guys who drive them are always @$$ holes! everytime i pass a v6 stang or even v8s they feel the need to step on the gas..?my friend has a 94 v6 convt. he does nothing but run around like a billy n it we all time him its just a v6 man but he insist its quick....i know another kid with a 97 Cobra...and i made a stupid quote up and put it on aim "DSMs'-scaring V8's and embarassing hondas since 1989" it was all in fun ya know just goofin off....i get this in return...."SVTobras...Scaring DSM's and other rice since 1993!" i got mad,i imed him and said my car is domestic!!!!..but then again thats the mustang way!.....but oerall mustangs r nice vehicles with performance...hate to throw off the thread...but thats my .02 :dsm: :rolleyes:

I dont like them, but I do respect the fact that they can be made into one bad ass
car, but I just dont care for them.

I'm one of those guys who just like cars.

If it's internal combustion and has got gasoline (or something similar, LOL!) running through its veins, I love it.

:thumb:

True, I might not like the specifics of its aesthetics or how it gets the job done in terms of putting power to the ground, but being a car-guy, I can still *_APPRECIATE_* that some other car guy (or gal) has put his hard earned money, his sweat, his blood, his tears, and hours upon hours of work into making that particular ride his dream.

That being said, do I like 'Stangs?

My personal opinion of them, having driven some, is that they're a bit brutish - but I can definitely see why some like them, and I can definitely respect them and their owners.

And to be totally honest, I'm drooling over the proposed 2007 Cobra:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164406&highlight=2007+cobra

:thumb:

-A

:dsm: / :talon:

I personally own a 95 mustang gt, as well as 2 talons, I do all my own work, Everyone has there own tastes in cars, and opinions on what works best, as long as you enjoy cars and building and fabricating new things, thats all that matters. People that talk s### are usually the one that all they have is s### .

ClevSilverEclip said:
And to be totally honest, I'm drooling over the proposed 2007 Cobra:

Have you seen the pictures of the Saleen mustangs they're working on? OMG I think they look amazing

I like the newer style mustang, not the fox body. Also I like 4.6l motors, I worked at a speedy shop and i seen alot of taxi cab with the 4.6l motors that ran great with 200k on them. I also working on my cousin 96 t-bird. He has a new billitt mustang motor and I still need to rebuild the trans. We been throwing the idea of a supercharger around.
And to everyone there own.

i personally hate the looks and performance of the current mustangs, but i love the old fox bodies. Specifically the 89 GT 5.0. I think that is a 100% badarse looking car.

The do respond to mods well, and the 302 can take a pretty good beating, but they are still heavy, bad steering, straight line cars.

I like DSM's because they can go fast in a straight line, AND handle. The mustang has RWD, and DSM's are AWD or FWD. RWD wins me over, but the DSM is more fun in the end. It all depends what you like, and i like them both.

fr33b1rth said:
i personally hate the looks and performance of the current mustangs, but i love the old fox bodies. Specifically the 89 GT 5.0. I think that is a 100% badarse looking car.

The do respond to mods well, and the 302 can take a pretty good beating, but they are still heavy, bad steering, straight line cars.

I like DSM's because they can go fast in a straight line, AND handle. The mustang has RWD, and DSM's are AWD or FWD. RWD wins me over, but the DSM is more fun in the end. It all depends what you like, and i like them both.
Well the guy that I know that was featured in Fast Fords and other magazines runs the 5.0L motors, and he said for bolt ons, they respond well and run great, but power adders like nitrous and supercharger they develope problems because of the dramatic increase in hp. He was running a 10 second car with nitrous then switched to an sc and was again running 10's. But after several motor rebuilds he got rid of the power adders and has a consistant 11 second car n/a. I'm not sure what motor is in there the 302 most likely but with my expierence with my friends stang with nitrous and then a sc is that the 4.6 can't handle a lot of power. Both of the motors were destroyed. Now he is going the nitrous route again and thinks everything will be fine, but who knows. But the forged kits for the motors really aren't terribly priced so it seems that they could be made stronger easily. However the sohc still kills me. I definately like the dohc that the cobra engines are running.

I have a 69 Mustang Sportsroof and a 400 HP Galant VR4. They're both great cars, but they both have their own time and place. Its really hard to compare an AWD sportscar with a turbo 4 to a classic pony car with a live rear axle and leaf springs. With regards to them as automobiles as a whole, they definitely have their benefits and short comings. I'm definitely not biased with regards to the cars, but I don't like 99% of Mustang owners and I even own one.

What IS that smell?

Attachments

• dedhorse copy.jpg
    dedhorse copy.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back