The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

What's your motivation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh408

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2011
Fairfield, California
So I'm helping a friend build a 2.4 stroker, it's been almost a year now and were still not done and this is mainly due to the lack of motivation or will to complete it. we are at the point to where the fresh block is on the engine stand with brand new parts stacked all over my friends living room, we've put some parts on the block but we've been lagging it for a while to continue. So what's your motivation for finishing a build? What gets you pumped up to go out and start wrenching?

Warm weather.. haha.. Warm weather means convertible weather, sexy fast white convertibles make panties drop! :D Last winter I did a TON of work on my spyder in 5 months to have it on the road after the spring rains cleared all the salt off the road. My spyder doesnt see the light of day during the winter just garage lights.. This winter there isnt much upgrades to be made but there are a few but since Ive been in a financial bind lately I havent had money to buy the parts. It WILL be on the road in spring though. Now, If I had parts in hand like you and your buddy, Id be in the garage all the time until work was done. Then once it was done Id still be in the garage sitting in the car pretending it was nice out! haha

Normally I hate knowing that something doesn't work right. That just bugs me. But being a 17 year old I get lazy, but who doesn't? So it will sit for a little. Might touch it here and there. But lately it's been my girl. She still hasn't been in it since It's been put away for the winter. So I gotta make sure it's ready when Spring hits. Or else. ;)

Passion. Its what I love to do, I'd be wrenching all the time if I was rich or had the money for all the things I wanted to do. Plus I like to show off what I can do.:D

Motivation would probably be looking at others with amazing builds making me feel so behind on work. That definetaly gets me out turning wrenches.

Tho i feel my car will never compare to others. Its still a great hobby. Or as the ricers say... its a way of life :p (saw that on some youtube vid haha) not my quote..

Wrenching for me is medicine. I get so mad all the time and I go out and work on whatever needs to be done with any of my vehicles and it calms me down. Plus I'm going to school for it in October. :sneaky:

Well the warm weather has got me a little more pumped to wrench but once I'm pumped we always run into a little snag that stops us for the day. Like before we put on the head we are capping off some holes on the 2.4 short block just to be sure. So we are tapping and capping like 5 holes on the block but 1 hole I can't find a tap for. It's an 18mm size. Couldn't find a local place with that tap so had to stop. Since nothing else can be installed on the block until the head is on.

Going fast was my motivation on the car.......Now its my family. I got the car for something that I could do to keep ME busy and have fun. Suprisingly. my wife stated giving me her support and is backing me in working on the car. She can't wait to see how far we can take it and what all we can accomplish. Not to mention that the kids love it when the boost hits.

I attended my first shootout last year. A burned up clutch prevented me from bringing it, but I vowed that I would have it there the next year, and as complete as I could possibly want it.

I rented a garage and pulled my convertible in back in July. The parts car has it blocked in, but will be done with shortly. From there, I made a list of what I wanted to accomplish and what had to be done in order to do so. Of course, parts were ordered along the way, but the goals have always stayed the same.

Then I made myself a list of what has to be done to reach those goals. Even the simple stuff made it to the list like "paint the speaker grills." Again, the list is always growing, but it's all based on my goals of how I want the car to look and perform. Some days I cross multiple things off the list, other days I add more to it than I crossed off. Either way, its a good form of motivation to see what I've completed and what I still need to do.

I also try to spend about 30 minutes to a few hours each weekday to something on the car. Maybe it's picking up a few bolts from the hardware store. Maybe it is actual wrench time. Maybe it's just picking up the garage. Either way, I make sure I'm putting time into it. Weekends are then used to rest and recoup.

Make a build thread and post in it regularly. While it is a bit attention-whorish, the chatter in my build thread is highly motivational. The compliments and kudos are very gratifying and push me to continue to impress the folks that visit it.

So, set your goals. Make a list of what needs to be done to reach them. Break that list down into simple components that way you always have something you can cross off and feel like you've made some progress. Dedicate a set amount of time each week that you plan to attack something on the list. Make a build thread and post regularly. In a few days/weeks you'll look back at what you've completed and either be satisfied and motivated to continue, or realize your expectations are way off and your plan needs a bit of resolve.

However, no matter how much you plan, nothing will get your off your own ass but yourself. Don't be lazy. If you find yourself on forums more than you find yourself in your garage, you aren't a car guy, you are a forum geek.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's a personal passion for me, I like seeing how far I can go...Everytime I do something to my car I come up with another unreasonable task I just have to do.

My latest motivation was last night when my girlfriend told me she wanted go for a drive a do the deed. :sneaky: But I just got new seats LOL :p

I'm not to sure on making a build thread. I've thought about it but I'm not a big fan of typing alot. If anything I'd write a very brief summary on what I did.

Alright I was motivated until I couldn't find an 18mm tap with matching brass set screws. And on top of that. There's slowly some rust building on the block.

My motivation is simply driving it. The entire experience of it. The way the boost comes on, the way the exhaust sounds. The feeling and smell of the interior. The sound of the turbo spooling up, and the bov when you release the throttle. I despise the heat, but I must say cruising with the windows down and the "sunroof"(1G problems :p ) open, hearing all of that gorgeous symphony....and yes, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't also the feeling of the power and addiction of boost as well.

I'm probably one of the few people that hates working on cars...that's why I'm an aspiring Chef though. Kind of funny, I picked just about the worst car to own for not liking to work on cars. ROFL But as much as I may not like it, all that listed above and more eventually motivates me to get off my ass and actually fix the pile.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back