The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What's wrong with my eclipse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CougarDS

Probationary Member
Jun 27, 2003
Florida
I got a 95 Eclipse 420A and have been doing so minor maintenance on it. So far i've replaced the fuel filter (that was a bi***) replaced a lot of hoses and vaccuum hoses, flushed coolant, new air filter (K&N), some fuel system cleaner (went in the gas tank), the spark plugs and wires were replaced too and i think that's all ive done with it. Problem is before i put the fuel filter on it ran very badly and could hardly get anywhere...it was kicking back like a bi*** so figured it was a bad fuel pump. Well i went the cheaper route first and replaced the fuel filter and it stopped andr an beautifully. But when it idled it jumped inbetween 800 and 900 rpms...it's an annoying sound...i want it to sound nice and smooth when it's idleing. Anyway..the problem with it kicking back has returned. Could it be my fuel pump?? One of my friends said he thought it was either a vaccum hose or the timing was off. I DID have a shop replace the timing belt. Could that be it? Thanks in advance.

If the timing is off you can hook up a vacuum gauge and find out quick enough. If it's not at 19inches of vacuum (give or take a little) then you've got a combustion chamber sealing problem (most likely caused by timing being off). What kind of plugs and wires did you put on the car? What about the spark plug gap? What's the history on the O2 sensor and are there any codes? If you have a Check engine light on then go to autozone and have the codes retrieved. The key dance code will NOT help since it's too vague. If you have a check engine light and DON'T get the codes read then it's of no use to go on either. Let us know.
Doug

yeah the check engine light IS on. So i get the codes from auto zone and then what?

you said i changed the spark plugs

This might sound scary..... What kind of plugs and wires did you buy....

to me i recommend Ngk Bkr6e-11 .... and get some bosch wires..... thats the problem im pretty sure because i had alot of issues with this stuff

Hit up pepboys cuz autozone dont have it.... $28 for the ngk's and $30 for the wires

no...the garage that replaced the timing belt also change the plugs and wires.

Yeah, I know. I ran a search on "spark plug" for someone else and stumbled across this thread. I figured I'd annoy someone and try to pry the fix out of them so the thread could be complete. Sorry for the cobwebs.
Doug

dont have a eclipse anymore, but since i posted here i would like to help anybody

that guys only had 13 posts and his last one was on july 10th. i dont think hes gonna be back anytime soon.

GSGoinFast said:
that guys only had 13 posts and his last one was on july 10th. i dont think hes gonna be back anytime soon.
You know, you're right. We should drag him out in to the street and shoot him for taking up our valuable space. Thanks for pointing that out. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back