The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

What's this sound like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zufelt

Proven Member
Oct 15, 2012
Lemoore, California
MOOO..

Kidding, anyways I had a few questions.

I'm trying to get my car running right by doing the maintence that's required to begin modding. The car seemed to be running fine for awhile (besides a rough idle) but now it won't pull at all. In the top end around 75-80 in fifth I can floor it and have the identical acceleration as a RS/GS. The car is making 12 pounds, with no boost leaks. Checked to make sure my WOT was 100%, double checked, and triple checked for boost leaks couldn't find any.

So I pull the plugs and the tip is white, which I'm assuming is leaaaaan. Because this is pretty obvious white. The timing components were changes about 55k miles ago. Thinking it could have pulled timing a tooth. This is the only thing I haven't checked yet, because I don't have the proper tools. Timing is next on my list, but I'd like to see your guys opinion as to how to approach any other possibilities, so I can fix those first, because my car is beyond slow, and has even since about 50k miles into the timing change. Plugs below! Also, the gap seems a bit big to me.

Had the megabit change them out before I started doing my own work (other than timing)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mods!!
272 Cowler Cams
KN air filter
Injen air intake
Shepard racing tranny
Tokito struts, and shocks.

For starters, you have the wrong plugs. Platinum plugs don't mix well with Turbo 4G63s. If you're running any moderate power levels over stock, NGK BPR7ES is what you should have in there. Stock-ish levels will be fine with BPR6ES. These cars don't like anything but good old copper plugs. Gap them to .028

For starters, you have the wrong plugs. Platinum plugs don't mix well with Turbo 4G63s. If you're running any moderate power levels over stock, NGK BPR7ES is what you should have in there. Stock-ish levels will be fine with BPR6ES. These cars don't like anything but good old copper plugs. Gap them to .028
Well said. The idiot I bought my gsx from had platinum plugs in it and one day while driving a spark plug got so hot that it melted! Not to mention has caused me a few issues! NGK coppers ftw.:thumb:

had similar problems yesterday and swapped plugs out and ...ta da...acceleration again

That would be nice if that was the problem, ill gap and switch them soon! Ill report back when I've done so! Thanks guys.

New spark plugs are in, same problem. Lack of power.. If it helps diagnose the problem whenever I try to start my car it turns over, kinda studders like a small jolt turns over an starts. This is all within 3-4 seconds, and it doesn't do it all the time. Any inputs appreciated.

Also have been getting horrible mpg.. Perhaps an 02 sensor?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back