The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Whats this RX-7 Turbo2 Worth? (120m)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
My buddy at work just inherited a 1987 Turbo 2 RX-7 with 120 original miles. Car has been driven and had all normal oil changes just to keep it in good condition. Car is red and in the condition it was when it left the dealership. Still has the nipples on the tire tred from the original tires.

I tried to get him to keep it but he wants to sell it. What you think he can get out of it?

Ah man. I remember asking a question like that. And you know what happened? It got thrown in the WHAT'S IT WORTH THREAD!

Im not sure what's it worth where you live. But where I live a late rx7 turbo can still range from 9k- 30k if it's still nice and modded!

My buddy at work just inherited a 1987 Turbo 2 RX-7 with 120 original miles. Car has been driven and had all normal oil changes just to keep it in good condition. Car is red and in the condition it was when it left the dealership. Still has the nipples on the tire tred from the original tires.

I tried to get him to keep it but he wants to sell it. What you think he can get out of it?

With only 120 miles on it how did it have more than one oil change?

Your friend sounds pretty hard up for money, If it were me I would definitely keep that... and I'm broke! LOL Did the person he inherited from pass away? If they did I bet they would be rolling in their grave

In my area it's probably be worth 3-4k, Apex seals might be on their way out. but if body looks mint then 5k is definately a possibility. If it was the 89-91(s5 body) it be worth more becuz it has higher compression rotors.

With only 120 miles on it how did it have more than one oil change?

Your friend sounds pretty hard up for money, If it were me I would definitely keep that... and I'm broke! LOL Did the person he inherited from pass away? If they did I bet they would be rolling in their grave

You need to change oil at every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever come first.

I do agree the apex seals are going just due to age, but the car is in the condition it was when you bought it new. Its been garaged since 1987. Completely stock.

You need to change oil at every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever come first.

I do agree the apex seals are going just due to age, but the car is in the condition it was when you bought it new. Its been garaged since 1987. Completely stock.

Ok you do mean 120 miles right? Not 120K? I don't think you need to change oil in a car every 3 months if it just sits there.

120 miles and yes you do need to change oil if it sits there. It will break down over time just like it does when ran. Im positive on this.

Was it started up regularly? Wow. 120 miles. I really don't see a reason the apex seals would have any real wear on them. It probably hasn't taken the original polish off of the rotor housings yet.... unless it was allowed to idle forever or something. I've ripped apart several old 12A's and found some good apex seals, which was good at the time. It cost less for me to pull engines out of the junkyard and find two or three useable seals than it did to buy a rotor seal kit. That was a few years back, though. I haven't checked on prices in a long time. Honestly, I'd be more worried about dry rot on the housing seals and other rubber parts like brake lines.

Story behind it is his wifes family members got in a wreck in 1987 and died. The car had been totaled and the policy on the insurance was they would replace the car. So they got a new RX-7 off the lot and he just garaged it. The 120 miles are from starting and driving it around the block to make sure it just didnt dry rot away.

He was driving a Ferrari and his wife had a mercedes so they never drove it and just let it sit. Now they inherited it. Hes not into cars anymore and he is older. He just doesnt want another car sitting in the driveway and wants it gone fast.

oh my bad, i read wrong, i thought it had 120,000 miles. 120miles is nuts but it has been sitting for a long time. Should get somewhere around $8-10k. I doubt anymore becuz for that alot a people rather get the 3rd Gen RX-7. He should post it on a rx-7 forum's classifieds like Nopistons.com or rx7club.com. If i were him i'd difinately keep it though. I love rotaries.

That car will bring a PREMIUM.........its basically a brand new car.....time to go to Barrett-Jackson.......im thinking it will bring at least the original sticker price........as for the oil change every 3 months.......yes it does need it if not driven........reason being due to condensation water will begin to lay in the oil.......and we all no that oil and water do not mix!!!!

I'd suggest he sell it at Mecum Auto Auctions. You'd be surprised how much a low-mileage example would fetch. With something relatively rare w/ low miles like that, you're better off paying someone that knows the market to sell it for you.

120 miles and yes you do need to change oil if it sits there. It will break down over time just like it does when ran. Im positive on this.

That car will bring a PREMIUM.........its basically a brand new car.....time to go to Barrett-Jackson.......im thinking it will bring at least the original sticker price........as for the oil change every 3 months.......yes it does need it if not driven........reason being due to condensation water will begin to lay in the oil.......and we all no that oil and water do not mix!!!!

Well, I guess ya learn something new every day :)

I concur - finding a well known auction with (hopefully) the right interested people. See if there is a "Reserve" option in place when entering the vehicle. Cross your fingers. May also want to consider eBay as a possible selling platform.

One more important point for you... do not do a THING to that car. Don't start it, don't change tires, don't clean it... do nothing. There are many people that will pay an extra premium for the authentic look of 'sitting in the barn'.

its gonna need lots of seals and gaskets methinks

The car has been kept clean and it was garaged in a clean garage. Come to find out it has 1200 miles. He had it fully inspected today at a Mazda shop and they say its in prestine condition. He has decided to take it to the auctions and see what happens.

Yeap car was taken care of real good. Had a mazda shop look it over and its prestine. Car is perfect. Talked with a car collector and he said 8-15k easy for the car.

Well a car collector bought the car from him. First offer the guy gave him after having it rechecked a the dealership, was $20,000!! He got a $60,000 inheritance and then sold the car for $20,000. He made out real good

Funny thing is the day it sold someone came and broke out one of the windows under a locked car cover that they could not get off. The guy came with the trailer to pick it up and they where replacing the window. Talk about bad luck. Guy still bought it though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back