The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

What's the story behind 4/20?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
So today is April 20th and every image board I am looking at is full of dope and drugs. What is so special on that day :confused: Hope you excuse my question. I am from Europe :)

You should Google it as it cannot be discussed here. The origins of the "holiday" may not cross all the way over the line, but our member base inevitably will.

People claimed its due to jerry garcia's birthday, but its not. Its adolph hitlers birthday. After hours of searching the vintervebs, I came to the conclusion its just some crap hippies in seattle made up that stuck. More so time than date, but the date has become an underground holiday in the states. Its generally in reference to smoking pot. As in time to smoke. Not sure why at 4:20, unless u just got off work...

You should Google it as it cannot be discussed here. The origins of the "holiday" may not cross all the way over the line, but our member base inevitably will.

That was diplomatically well-put, Kris. :thumb:

Its just a hyped up day.

Mostly a bunch of BS and kids ruining their lifes, but I have to say watching all the kids in class when they have "celebrated" early in the morning is quite entertaining :D

I know at some point it was a government push to get people to quit smoking tobacco. It was called the great American smoke out. I guess the pot heads took the name the wrong way...

Watch out guy I already have gotten cited by the forum police for recognizing this day...

I just honestly almost wrote a short-story about it. Then I lost interest.

So today is April 20th and every image board I am looking at is full of dope and drugs. What is so special on that day :confused: Hope you excuse my question. I am from Europe :)

Es ist eine dumme Sache, dass amerikanische Kinder zu verwenden, um sie kühl zu tun scheinen Marihuana.

Hoffentlich wird die Fußball-Nationalmannschaft tut gut bei der Europameisterschaft in diesem Sommer.

• 4/20 isn't the date Bob Marley died, no matter what you may have heard to the contrary (he died on 5/11/81). It's not his birthday, either.

• 420 isn't the number of a bill in U.S. Congress to legalize pot, despite many people thinking it is.

• 420 isn't the police or penal code for marijuana possession in California (or any other state), though many people believe that, as well.

• Nor is 420 is the number of chemical compounds in cannabis, the pot plant, though many authors seem fond of stating so.

What 420 is, whether expressed in the form 4:20 (as a time of day), 4/20 (as a calendar date), or just the unadorned numeral (pronounced "four-twenty"), is a universal, unofficial symbol for the use and appreciation of marijuana. In fact, 4/20 (April 20) has come to be known in certain circles as "Marijuana Appreciation Day."

"420" origin and history

Notwithstanding the many and various urban legends that have grown up around the meaning of "420" and its connection with marijuana, the true story behind that connection is surprisingly prosaic. In the early 1970s a small group of hippie stoners at San Rafael High School in northern California used to meet at a designated location every day to smoke pot at 4:20 p.m. They did this so regularly that among members of the group "420" became a general euphemism for lighting up.

The catchphrase spread beyond their immediate circle, beyond the high school they attended, and ultimately beyond California, so that within a decade or two pot smokers were using it across the country and indeed the world over.

How popular is the expression today? A Google search on the paired terms "420" and "marijuana" brings up more than 6 million results, including a link to the website of 420 Magazine, a publication dedicated to what it refers to as "cannabis awareness."

See, what you do in Highschool can make a difference.

April 20th celebrates the 420A motor. It was a motor built by Chrysler in the 90s. It's found in some DSMs. We aren't allowed to talk about it here though because the 420A fanatics have an internet thunderdome with the 4G63 purists and it gets out of hand really quickly. A while back they settled on a section just for the 420A guys here......420A DSM Tech - DSM Forums.

Btw: some people will tell you that 4/20 is about a certain drug, but these people can also be convinced that their car is low on blinker fluid, so don't listen to them.

April 20th celebrates the 420A motor. It was a motor built by Chrysler in the 90s. It's found in some DSMs. We aren't allowed to talk about it here though because the 420A fanatics have an internet thunderdome with the 4G63 purists and it gets out of hand really quickly. A while back they settled on a section just for the 420A guys here......420A DSM Tech - DSM Forums.

Btw: some people will tell you that 4/20 is about a certain drug, but these people can also be convinced that their car is low on blinker fluid, so don't listen to them.

That's sir is funny :):):):) made my day LOL

This ^ Is the most logical thing I've heard all day.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back