The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What's the best way to package up Bare Block for shipping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91Bomb

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 15, 2003
US, New_Jersey
I just sold a bare block on ebay and buyer is having UPS come over to pick it up. He wants me to get a rubbermaid container and put it in there but do you guys have any other ideas that are easier or cheaper? Should I just put cardboard all around it and tape it real good? I don't have any experience shipping with UPS so don't know what is acceptable to them, thanks!

I've always just shrink wrapped everything, you can pick a roll up anywhere for a few bucks and it doesn't look to bad.

Ok thanks. I'm thinking maybe a board on the bottom for stability and cardboard all around block and then shrink wrap the whole thing.

Last edited:
Had some parts wrapped for storage and found out that they rusted inside the wrap. With just shipping something moisture should not be an issue, but if you are concerned put a sock-full of cat litter (or rice) inside the wrap. It will absorb moisture.

Got this bin from Home Depot for 9 bux and 4g63 block fits decent :)

Attachments

• SDC15071.jpg
    SDC15071.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 94
  • SDC15075.jpg
    SDC15075.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 98
I shipped a block like this once. Somehow Fedex managed to crack the corner off the block. I used a Rubbermaid container with cardboard around it. Fedex would not insure it. Take a ton of before pictures showing the packing material just incase.

Looks good but i would fill the space with packing peanuts and cardboard strips over the top and bottom.
How much do bare blocks go for? I'm just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold it on ebay for $150 with buyer covering shipping cost. I would've taken 100 cash to anyone locally and think another 25-50 bux could be gotten but I'm looking to be more on the fair side.

UPDATE:

Guy got block shipped ok but now says it's worthless to him because it doesn't have the main crankshaft bearing cap so he wants to return it for a full refund. I was selling it as a bare block and he never asked if it had a main beforehand so I'm not sure what to think. Actually, I believe the guy who bought it is an engine builder who's doing a build for someone else so that makes me a bit skeptical like maybe there's some other reason for wanting to return it like a change of mind or other issues.

Also I had listed the bare block on ebay as local pick up only with no refund to avoid this sort of thing and he talked me into shipping by arranging UPS to come get it at my house. I did tell him beforehand there would be no refund offered no matter what explaining I believed block to be 'most likely' good based on fact engine oil looked good etc as it came out of a parts car I had but even if it wound up no good I couldn't refund money and he agreed. So now I don't know what to think since he wants to return it for a full refund saying it's worthless without a main. Any thoughts?

UPDATE:

Guy got block shipped ok but now says it's worthless to him because it doesn't have the main crankshaft bearing cap so he wants to return it for a full refund. I was selling it as a bare block and he never asked if it had a main beforehand so I'm not sure what to think. Actually, I believe the guy who bought it is an engine builder who's doing a build for someone else so that makes me a bit skeptical like maybe there's some other reason for wanting to return it like a change of mind or other issues.

Also I had listed the bare block on ebay as local pick up only with no refund to avoid this sort of thing and he talked me into shipping by arranging UPS to come get it at my house. I did tell him beforehand there would be no refund offered no matter what explaining I believed block to be 'most likely' good based on fact engine oil looked good etc as it came out of a parts car I had but even if it wound up no good I couldn't refund money and he agreed. So now I don't know what to think since he wants to return it for a full refund saying it's worthless without a main. Any thoughts?

I would be disappointed if I purchased a block with a main cap missing. These caps are married to the block with very tight clearances, a half a thousandth will throw the entire thing off. The block would need align bored and honed after another cap is sourced. I don't believe many machine shops like dealing with stuff like this, it's easier just to keep the mains together from the get go. I would offer a full refund.

I would be disappointed if I purchased a block with a main cap missing. These caps are married to the block with very tight clearances, a half a thousandth will throw the entire thing off. The block would need align bored and honed after another cap is sourced. I don't believe many machine shops like dealing with stuff like this, it's easier just to keep the mains together from the get go. I would offer a full refund.

I'd be more than disappointed. I'd be about 8 different shades of pissed off. Even though you say "bare block." To me that would include main caps, bedplate (If there was one) etc... Just not the crank, pistons, bearings, and so on.

Back to the original question, in case someone else comes looking. I use Rubbermaid totes, and InstaPak foam packing. This way the foam contours to the block/head/tranny/whatever... and keeps it fairly immobile during transport.

UPDATE:

Guy got block shipped ok but now says it's worthless to him because it doesn't have the main crankshaft bearing cap so he wants to return it for a full refund. I was selling it as a bare block and he never asked if it had a main beforehand so I'm not sure what to think.

I did tell him beforehand there would be no refund offered no matter what explaining I believed block to be 'most likely' good based on fact engine oil looked good etc as it came out of a parts car I had but even if it wound up no good I couldn't refund money and he agreed.

Well, it's not exactly "worthless" because it's missing a main cap, but it's definitely a huge PITA for the buyer. Even though he didn't ask if the main bearing caps were included, it's usually assumed that they are included. For example, when I see bare heads for sale, the seller usually specifically states if the cam cams are not included.

Anyway, you both agreed to no refund so you're well within your right to deny his request for a full refund. However, selling it knowing it was missing a main cap was pretty low. Personally, I would offer a partial refund to make up for the fact that he's going to have to locate another one and then get the block line bored.

Actually I was not aware of the importance of keeping main cap with block and sold it separately awhile back. I also sold a bare 6-bolt block awhile back with no main cap with connecting rods + crankshaft and the guy never mentioned anything (crank + rods were out).

Anyhow the guy wants to return it saying he'll pay for return shipping so I offered a half refund and telling him he could keep the block and save another 55-65 bux on return shipping. I guess if I was doing a build myself I'd know to ask the seller beforehand exactly what I was getting or asked for more pics. The pics I had on ebay showed the top part and side of bare block completely stripped down and even mentioned in ad the block was torn down with some other bottom end parts available separately.

So is the block worthless without the main cradle? Because I now have the buyer demanding a complete refund saying his engine builder told him it is. So even though I offered him a half refund and said he can keep the block to save the other half on return shipping he's presenting to ebay's resolution center that I misrepresented the item. I listed the item as follows:

"4g63 BARE ENGINE BLOCK - 7-bolt N/T - 1g DSM (pick-up only NJ near NYC)"

Item description: Good bare 4g63 block from my '93 Eclipse GS. It is a lightly used N/T 7-bolt 4g63 block from 1g DSM which is great for any build UNLESS you plan on making 400+ HP and then you better go get that 6-bolt! Otherwise this one will do fine so come take a look before buying! Also have tons of bottom end parts here along with all parts from two 1g DSM part-outs. Thanks for looking!

The pics on ebay ad showed top part of engine and sides only. It also said no refunds and one of the reasons I listed it as local pick-up only is so whoever bought it could check it before buying. The guy talked me into getting a container for shipping and have ups come pick it up. Before we agreed, through ebay messaging I told him it's a used bare block and there will be no refund offered even if block proved to be no good. I told him all I knew about it was it came out of a non-running parts car I bought, that it wasn't a flood or fire damaged car, engine oil looked good, visually it looked ok, and reason car didn't run was because of a slipping timing belt. I told him absolutely no refunds no matter what and he still wanted to pay full price asap so we then proceeded with sale.

Like mentioned earlier I did not know a main was important to sell with block and I've even sold a bare 6-bolt block yrs ago to a guy in person who didn't seem concerned at all. So the guy is demanding a full refund and already escalating to ebay authorities. Any thoughts?

Do you not have the caps? If you do, offer to ship them to him. If not, you said "no refunds for any reason" and as long as you can prove that he agreed to it everything should be ok. If you do end up giving him a refund and getting the block back, don't worry. There will be more buyers. Or make a coffee table out of it. :)

I actually sold the main cap on ebay separately awhile back. Had I known keeping it with block was the better way to go I would've definitely done that. So now even if I do take the block back and re-list it I would mention it doesn't have the main cap. But the buyer also could've asked too being I had only 3 pics of it on ebay with nothing showing the underside of it.

Oh, the buyer escalated the case to ebay resolution already looking for full refund saying his engine builder said a block without it's original main cannot ever be used again. Can anyone comment on that?

Did some research and DSM'ers have discussed this many times. You can use another main girdle but an align bore is needed which isn't easy or cheap. So it's preferred to have the original main. I did not know not any of that but did not misrepresent sale of block either. Wound up offering a refund of every penny I made on it but guy has to take a loss on shipping otherwise I'm going to rescind any refund at all. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
I gave the guy a full refund and told him to keep the block so he could save on return shipping but he did lose out on his delivery shipping tho. I honestly didn't know the main cap was important to keep with block and someone actually bought that from me separately awhile back. Wish I knew beforehand and would of been good if the guy asked about it before buying too.

I gave the guy a full refund and told him to keep the block so he could save on return shipping but he did lose out on his delivery shipping tho. I honestly didn't know the main cap was important to keep with block and someone actually bought that from me separately awhile back. Wish I knew beforehand and would of been good if the guy asked about it before buying too.

sounds like you made it right ! you could have gotten out on a technicality like you said since he didn't ask about them.

Yeah I could have. Had I known the main cap was important I definitely would have put in ad that it didn't have one -or- probably wouldn't have bothered to list block in the first place. I feel bad for the guy because he's still out 75 bux shipping but I couldn't return that money because ad originally said local pick-up only with inviting buyers to look it over before purchase. He then talked me into getting shipping container for a ups pick-up he arranged but before any of that I told him absolutely no refunds even if the block was bad for any reason and I was very reluctant to ship. Definitely wasn't pulling a scam either but honestly didn't know the main was important otherwise would have saved it wit the block instead of selling separately.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back