The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Whats needed to swap a 6 bolt into a 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blownuptsi92

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 5, 2011
Fenton, Missouri
Im looking to swap a 6bolt into my 1g 92 tsi. Whats needed other than flywheel and clutch?

Only other differences I've heard of besides flywheel and internals is the oil pan. If you're swapping the whole motors they're completely interchangeable from everything I've read and seen.

the motors trashed. Id keep a 7 bolt but I ran across a good deal on unused manleys turbo tuffs and h beams for a six bolt plus there a little better on cw I hear. I really dont know what motors in there other than a seven bolt the motors been out before to paint the engine bay and the blocks been painted this is my first dsm so idk what seven bolt it is.

As long as your using a 91 or early 92 6 bolt, nothing else. If you using a pre 91 you'll want to swap over most of the sensors, throttle body, fuel rail, coil pack, power transistor, etc from the later 92 7 bolt.

As long as your using a 91 or early 92 6 bolt, nothing else. If you using a pre 91 you'll want to swap over most of the sensors, throttle body, fuel rail, coil pack, power transistor, etc from the later 92 7 bolt.

You forgot patience and the ability to search for information that has been covered 23472839794324 times. :D

Wow...Fenton, Mizzu. Grew up there (4 years worth anyway) and haven't thought about that place in years. :)

All 92s should be 6 bolt. The split happened in april which is likely when they started manufacturing the 93 model year that would've hit dealers in early fall. Did you check and see what you have? The basic longblock swaps right over. If you are indeed swapping 7 for 6 you'll need a flywheel. Only if you have a 90 longblock then you would need to mess with the oil cooler also.

All 92s should be 6 bolt. The split happened in april which is likely when they started manufacturing the 93 model year that would've hit dealers in early fall. Did you check and see what you have? The basic longblock swaps right over. If you are indeed swapping 7 for 6 you'll need a flywheel. Only if you have a 90 longblock then you would need to mess with the oil cooler also.

No, 1992.5 Was when they switched to 7 Bolts, I owned one which is how I know.

Only difference I see is just the Flywheel.

Reuse the front and rear engine roll stop brackets that are in the car now to eliminate any potential mounting issues with the new engine.

Motor mounts are the same. Only diff. in engine mounts are fwd/awd and auto/5spd

And where in this thread has the OP stated that his new engine is from another AWD 5-spd? ;)

My suggestion is only to help avoid guesswork: what came out will fit back in.

Not all 1gs have 6bolts, and the swap requires a good bit of know how, just follow the link on road race engineering and everything works fine. That's what i followed when i did my swap. But I highly recommend you buy their harness, its only 50$ with shipping and its so much better than trying to rewire, make your own, or buy a knockoff.

Not all 1gs have 6bolts, and the swap requires a good bit of know how, just follow the link on road race engineering and everything works fine. That's what i followed when i did my swap. But I highly recommend you buy their harness, its only 50$ with shipping and its so much better than trying to rewire, make your own, or buy a knockoff.

You didn't read the thread at all, did you? This is a 1G engine into another 1G, something that is pretty straightforward as pointed out in several posts above.

Nothing on RRE's website will help with this swap. Buying that harness would be a complete waste of money because you wouldn't have a need for it here.

Move along.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back