The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What's missing on my front end?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horizontalkev

Supporting VIP
Jun 28, 2010
great bend, Kansas
Something seems to be missing from the front, any suggestions? I want fog lights but the ic piping isn't allowing it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Im actually looking into the cheap HD lip.. And what do I do about that rubber feeling crash absorber thats behind that black piece in the mouth? Or does that get trimmed too or removed? And I thought about making mesh grills for the side vents

Yeah Im actually looking into the cheap HD lip.. And what do I do about that rubber feeling crash absorber thats behind that black piece in the mouth? Or does that get trimmed too or removed? And I thought about making mesh grills for the side vents

forgot about that I have not had a bumper on my car scence the first day i bought it LOL. Im not a fan of mesh .

License plate.

Maybe trim your Fog covers to get them to still fit in there? It's all that red piping that's bringing it down.
Also, go to www.paintscratch.com for reasonably priced rattle cans mixed up just for you. I use my P88 can to fix up all that bleeding yellow when the bottom of the bumper scrapes. Tape it and watch your overspray. While it's a near perfect match it's still just an aerosol can and you'll find few places you can use it without a good clear coat. Pretty much relegated to small bumper scrapes where the clear is gone already anyhow.

License plate.

Maybe trim your Fog covers to get them to still fit in there? It's all that red piping that's bringing it down.
Also, go to www.paintscratch.com for reasonably priced rattle cans mixed up just for you. I use my P88 can to fix up all that bleeding yellow when the bottom of the bumper scrapes. Tape it and watch your overspray. While it's a near perfect match it's still just an aerosol can and you'll find few places you can use it without a good clear coat. Pretty much relegated to small bumper scrapes where the clear is gone already anyhow.

That was actually going to be my next question, I hate that yellow on the bumper where it scraped. And the hole the fog lights slip into were trimmed also, and the piping is a lot closer than it looks, ill have to take a closer picture of that.. Im not sure if trimming the fog lights would help. And I wouldn't want to buy a pair of fog lights and trim them only to find out they still wont fit LOL

Your also missing the black plastic inserts for the side holes in the bumper. I'm not sure if they will fit with your piping though. That may help clean it up. Also cutting the black part out of the center part will help.

IMO...id take off the thr front mount and either strip it and make it look nice or, strip it and redo the paint. The paint looks pretty beat up and kinda shi**y.

Like dsmspick said, see if you can get some of the fog light inserts in the bumper. Might make it look a bit cleaner.

Just my 0.02 though.

Your also missing the black plastic inserts for the side holes in the bumper. I'm not sure if they will fit with your piping though. That may help clean it up. Also cutting the black part out of the center part will help.

I think there would be enough room. They really only protrude <1cm into the bumper when installed. And even them it's only at the attachment points.
The fog bezels though.. maybe need to perform some extreme trimming. BEZELS! not the lights! ;) There's no hope for fogs in there but maybe some hope for the bezels.

Also, don't discount the plate idea. You'd be surprised how nice the car looks, all growed up and responsible looking. ;)

Alright, so far what I have planned for next weekend is
1. cutting the black plastic piece in the 'mouth'
2. Figure out where to find these black inserts for the side vents,
3. tear out the fmic and either strip it or repaint it
4. new diamond side markers w/ amber blinkers and
5. A cheap HD front lip.
Will repainting the FMIC hinder its ability to cool positive charge?

And I like the front license plate idea but I see 2 common mounting places, mounted dead center or mounted on the corner.. Which do you prefer? Id almost want to say dead center may slightly block air flow, but I already have plate mounting holes dead center so Im not sure about what I want to do with that

I Will also look into the fog light inserts. The fog light hole has some cut away at it also, Will they still be able to hold just the fog light bezels?

The paint does not hrlp cooling at all the aluminum is best left untouched if you want maximum effectiveNess black out just makes it not as noticable kinda but if u cut the opening bigger you not going to hide it anyway.

The paint does not hrlp cooling at all the aluminum is best left untouched if you want maximum effectiveNess black out just makes it not as noticable kinda but if u cut the opening bigger you not going to hide it anyway.

Actually, I Will add that to my to do list.. Do you think the previous owner spray painted the IC? I prefer the shiny aluminum look, I Will buy paint stripper and throw some ones at it, if you know what I mean. Haha

I found some interesting fog lights from Walmart. Lol. Yeah. Walmart. If you have them mounted on top of your intercooler piping and use let's say a hose clamp to mount em, you could have fogs again. Doing that to my 2g when I get around to buying a better fmic using an HID kit with the fogs.

I dont see a reason why they would have painted the pipe but hell when taking apart someone eleses hack job there is no telling what you my find LOL.

dsmgst1996 said:
I dont see a reason why they would have painted the pipe but hell when taking apart someone eleses hack job there is no telling what you my find LOL.

This how mine looks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130529_014919.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130529_014919.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 66

What a mess.

Painting the intercooler is perfectly acceptable and will not have any significant effect on efficiency. Just keep it thin.

What a mess.

Painting the intercooler is perfectly acceptable and will not have any significant effect on efficiency. Just keep it thin.

And Some may prefer the blackout effect but on the red I think I want the intercooler shiny, but after being painted and then stripped, will it ever be shiny like before? And what about the fins, they look like a pain to clean.

Aluminum is very forgiving it will polish back up. To anyone that tells you paint wont effect efficacy .Keep this in mind Allison a maker of transmissions will void a warrnty if they find any trace of paint on the aluminum housing. With that said Im not saying a inner coolier wont work if painted but it will lose a good amount of efficacy if painted.

Inner coolier? Who is Allison?
I'm not trying to pick on you but it's been well accepted in the community for years now - and not just this one. The kids who build serious water cooled/peltier/n2o cooled computers even beat us to the punch. You're not the first to push this one, either.

Here's Mishimoto's testing results with regards to painted intercoolers.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-62631657248580/Painted-vs-UnpaintedMMINT-UJ-Engineering.pdf
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/459828-mishimoto-painted-intercooler-results.html
Anyways, shiny is just fine too.

I stand corrected it just would seem like the paint would show heat transfer and allow heat soak..Allison is not a transmission company that are install in cars they are a heavy duty application part i wounder why painting there parts voids warrnty then hmmmm.

An intercooler works simply by the core material absorbing the heat energy from the air charge passing through it. This heat energy then transfers itself to the outside air. Just like what would happen if you placed your hand on a warm engine. Now think about how it feels on a sunny 90+ day if you place your hand on the roof of your car. It burns. Same as if you put your hand on a bare piece of metal in your yard on that same day. Just something to think about...

So its proven that painted intercoolers make no noticeable differences, but I would prefer the shiny look :D

And the reason for voiding warranty is probably because if they have to replace your transmission under warranty, they want their nice shiny core back to rebuild and push off on somebody else without the worry of stripping the paint, my best guess

An intercooler works simply by the core material absorbing the heat energy from the air charge passing through it. This heat energy then transfers itself to the outside air. Just like what would happen if you placed your hand on a warm engine. Now think about how it feels on a sunny 90+ day if you place your hand on the roof of your car. It burns. Same as if you put your hand on a bare piece of metal in your yard on that same day. Just something to think about...

True.. And I haven't seen you on psn recently what happened? Dl

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back