The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

whater cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91 tsi turbo

Probationary Member
Oct 5, 2011
tucson, Arizona
anyone have a good idea how to do this? i want a whater to air intercooler i see that being way cheeper then my 1000hp intercooler for $800.

i just never seen this done on a 1g before.
if i can be pointed into a faq or build thred

It helps if you spell water correctly.

A few people have done it. It isn't quite as efficient as an air to air, and it does have more moving parts. However, you can't add ice to the tank of the air to air, and that's why I'm going with a water to air. There is also better boost response and less pressure drop with the core having such a short, wide flow area, and the piping being so short. If you do it right there should only be a foot or two of plumbing.

You can get them from
Air to Water Intercooler
If you're not going for a retarded amount of power,
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=209&osCsid=c56592a3738c842d900657e0bb9933d6
that unit is good. If you are
http://www.frozenboost.com/product_...d=204&osCsid=c56592a3738c842d900657e0bb9933d6
that one is really big. I've not fit the big one, but the little one fit pretty easily, you'll have to make a template to see if you can do it. If you want to make more power than the big one can support, I think you'd already be making your own right now and not asking this question. I'm making my own for my talon out of a core from a turbo dodge
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/tkelly27/2011-11-06114429.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/tkelly27/2011-11-06113844.jpg
don't mind the messy engine bay or welds. I'm going to try and reinforce the panels, hopefully the IC doesn't pop. If it does I'll probably be turning to one of the very reliable chinese ones listed above LOL.

You can use just about any high volume 12v pump you'd like. "Bilge" pumps from ebay are often used, however you can probably find a better electrical water pump at the junkyard or on ebay. One that's designed to make some pressure, be run for hours on end, and deal with some heat, unlike the bilge pumps.

I like to use an AC condensor as the heat exchanger. You don't need a heat exchanger if you are just drag racing. Just put ice in the tank and go until you run out of ice. If you're running on the street a big heat exchanger will get the water temps down. An old friend of mine ran a W/A with a heat exchanger that was the same size as the stupid side mount intercooler. He gained a few psi over the side mount from it being less restrictive, but that tiny little heat exchanger would heat soak instantly, even just at idle from the temperature of the engine bay it would start to get hot.

TLDR: Heat soak sucks, use the largest heat exchanger you can find. A radiator type design is BAD for this application.

Then the plumbing... just hook it up I guess. There was only a little welding required for the BOV flange and a few other things. If you have a friend with a mig it won't take you long to install. If not, you can probably assemble a no-weld kit from pieces off ebay.

A friend of a friend in Texas (everyone is your friend in Texas!) had a turbo hyundai with a 4g63. He used a water to air and put his water reservoir in the trunk. He would put 2 or 3 bags of ice in it and go race all night long.

Remember to watch those IATs and coolant water temps, they'll tell you a whole lot.

ok ya sorry tired. but right now im working on a street strip not alot of hp close to 700 but i like the idea of air to water seems cheeper. as for sensors i will have that coverd also will be running the aem pro ems.

seems to me the regular intercooler custom made would be better for me and just run an intercooler spray kit with co2 or something.

A water to air ic is cheaper than any high end air to air ic's. Also the iat's will stay more consistent over an air to air.

Water to Air Intercooler

Good for 600hp, just call them and they can switch the core out for a larger one that will support 700+.

I'm a little confused ... your looking for 700 HP, but your trying to save a couple hundred dollars on a intercooler?

LOL not exactly save haha just seemed better and much more efishant but i honestly could care less on cost

A water to air ic is cheaper than any high end air to air ic's. Also the iat's will stay more consistent over an air to air.

Water to Air Intercooler

Good for 600hp, just call them and they can switch the core out for a larger one that will support 700+.

that is sexy. any issues on a seccond radiator int he bay? would love to see how it installs

It helps if you spell water correctly.

A few people have done it. It isn't quite as efficient as an air to air, and it does have more moving parts. However, you can't add ice to the tank of the air to air, and that's why I'm going with a water to air. There is also better boost response and less pressure drop with the core having such a short, wide flow area, and the piping being so short. If you do it right there should only be a foot or two of plumbing.

You can get them from
Air to Water Intercooler
If you're not going for a retarded amount of power,
Compact Liquid/Air Intercooler
that unit is good. If you are
Liquid/Air
that one is really big. I've not fit the big one, but the little one fit pretty easily, you'll have to make a template to see if you can do it. If you want to make more power than the big one can support, I think you'd already be making your own right now and not asking this question. I'm making my own for my talon out of a core from a turbo dodge
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/tkelly27/2011-11-06114429.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/tkelly27/2011-11-06113844.jpg
don't mind the messy engine bay or welds. I'm going to try and reinforce the panels, hopefully the IC doesn't pop. If it does I'll probably be turning to one of the very reliable chinese ones listed above LOL.

You can use just about any high volume 12v pump you'd like. "Bilge" pumps from ebay are often used, however you can probably find a better electrical water pump at the junkyard or on ebay. One that's designed to make some pressure, be run for hours on end, and deal with some heat, unlike the bilge pumps.

I like to use an AC condensor as the heat exchanger. You don't need a heat exchanger if you are just drag racing. Just put ice in the tank and go until you run out of ice. If you're running on the street a big heat exchanger will get the water temps down. An old friend of mine ran a W/A with a heat exchanger that was the same size as the stupid side mount intercooler. He gained a few psi over the side mount from it being less restrictive, but that tiny little heat exchanger would heat soak instantly, even just at idle from the temperature of the engine bay it would start to get hot.

TLDR: Heat soak sucks, use the largest heat exchanger you can find. A radiator type design is BAD for this application.

Then the plumbing... just hook it up I guess. There was only a little welding required for the BOV flange and a few other things. If you have a friend with a mig it won't take you long to install. If not, you can probably assemble a no-weld kit from pieces off ebay.

A friend of a friend in Texas (everyone is your friend in Texas!) had a turbo hyundai with a 4g63. He used a water to air and put his water reservoir in the trunk. He would put 2 or 3 bags of ice in it and go race all night long.

Remember to watch those IATs and coolant water temps, they'll tell you a whole lot.

looking at the kit later posted i was thinking of the ice tank along with radiator style exchanger. all that for around $600 and my intercooler would run me almoast 900 installed. so i think i have my plan. i meen it seems like a good idea. more plumbing and less lag. seems i may need to measure the bay out and decide... thanks for all your help i will keep posted!!

Your spelling is terrible, if you installed FireFox or Chrome the built in spell check could help you out a lot. If you are on a phone that does not support it either stop being cheap and get a new phone or there is no way you can afford this build.

Spelling words correctly will vastly increase your odds of finding what you are searching for.

i have been poasting this late at night half asleep and who are you to say what i can and cant afford? dude seriously i came for help not ass holes. i already found what im looking for no thanks to you

You should be able to make a water/air setup for less than $500 that can support 600hp with ice in the tank. I budget for the core plus $100 using used and junkyard parts.

Pump $25
Heater hose $1/ft * 15ft = $15 or just find someone who redid their heater lines before they sent their car to the junkyard.
Pipe and couplers, have on hand, less than $20 at junkyard, $40 new and silicone
Coolant reservoir $0-10 I use an old coolant overflow bottle, they are practically free at the junkyard
Heat exchanger $0-50 When my friends part out cars I grab the AC condensor, the bigger the better. I've only had to purchase one at the junkyard, but I wanted it because it fit up perfect with my radiator.

Sometimes the guys at the junkyard just laugh at me when I show up to the counter with all of this random useless stuff and ask me where I even found it all.

Adding up the total on the high side is $140, plus a $150 core you are into it $300 and have a fully functioning intercooler system.

I started trying them because they were so much cheaper and easier to install than the FMICs available for my cars. I figured I could set up 3 or 4 500hp cars for the price of a 700hp capable FMIC. You can always easily add ice to a water/air IC and make the charge temps drop to ~32F, potentially lower with antifreeze in the cooling water.

For reliability, ease of maintenance, ease of installation, resale value, aesthetics, and in most cases maximum cooling efficiency, it is impossible to beat the $1000 IC systems with a W/A without ice. The people that make them have spent so much time researching what will make HP in the specific application that you can't compete with it. That's also a product of the laws of physics governing heat exchangers. I would pick a W/A IC over the $300 IC systems any day though, and with ice in the tank, watch out :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back