The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

What you paid for your 6 bolt??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolover10

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I'm trying to get a good idea of what to expect to pay for a 6 bolt.

Not really looking for any crazy setups, mostly budget builds... Could be just the block, block/crank or it could be the whole longblock with intake mani t/b and turbo... Lmk what you guys paid.

For example I ran across a local 6 bolt long block complete w/14b for 600 bucks that was rebuilt 2000miles ago, with recipts to prove it. Does this sound to good to be true or what?

Also what can I look for when buying an assembled motor, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Forgot to add, what did you guys pay for shipping or did you just pick it up? I'm trying to find one locally but if the deals right I'll have it shipped.

I'm assuming most of those motors where without shipping, seems like some good buys though! Keep the prices coming.:sneaky:

I picked mine up for $1,000. The guy rebuilt it about 3k miles before I bought it and replaced all seals, water/oil pump, had the head worked on and came with 272 cams. He left the motor mounts and power steering pump on there too just because he wanted to get rid of everything, since he was getting his first place.

Mike, my brother(shares this account with me) baught his 6 bolt used for 500ish and we tore it down to a short block and reassemballed it with arp head studs and mls head gasket.

I baught a 92 eagle talon tsi awd 6/4 bolt for $400 with a broken timing belt, sold all of the crap off the car for about $2500, kept the longblock. So with a little bit of time my engine paid me $2100, then I spent $1000 on machining it. Total money spent on my engine was about $5000 not including manifolds, C.O.P., ect.

I paid 750 for a freshly assembled big rod, 2g piston shortblock with new front cover and oil pump.

KarKing - $1450 for a 0 mile stock rebuild 6bolt longblock with 1g head. But if you go with a longblock, don't forget about the mass amount of parts you need to get it working... water pipe, oil cooler, TB, IntakeMani, etc....

My 6bolt swap with a 14b set me back about $3000.

Got mine for $1200 rebuilt with about 1k miles on it it also came with all the extras like Head, Ac, Powerstering and Altanator Extra Valve Cover, Throtle Body, Oil Pan as well as a bunch of other junk :)

The guy I bought my engine from actually delivered mine to me for $20, he also knew I was going to swap it into a 2g so he included everything I that needed to get it up and running. Chances are if you're on a local dsm forum there is a good chance that the right deal that is bound to pop up, might just take a little while.

For my built engine i got the core for 50 bucks fomr a junk yard where i managed the shipping dept. I spent around 3k on getting it built with decent components, but nothing too fancy or expensive.

Then, when it turned out the mains were sized wrong when they did the ARP studs on the crank, i had to order another 6 bolt as a temp" to get me to work and back. I put most of the stuff from the "built engine" on it except the parts that would have needed machining to fit.

the "secondary motor" cost me about 650 shipped from unitex trading company. But i bought it on a corporate account and we did over 130K a year in business with them so don't expect to get one that cheap .. they can go from 900-1200 for the basic long block for customers that are retail

I threw/gave away two 7 bolts last year because no one i knew wanted them and i didn't want to have to ship it if i sold it on ebay.. i gave em away and sit still took a week to get rid of them.. LOL Damn 7 bolt motors LOL I did keep all the little stuff like timing parts, covers, pullys, TB's and all that good stuf though

600 sounds like a bangin deal, being freshly built makes the deal even better, i bought a 90 tsi for 460 with a bad ecu, pulled the motor and sold the shell for 200 so i paid 260$ for a 6 bolt, if you look around im sure you can find good deals but what you got there i wouldnt pass up

I bought mine for $500 with horrible compression and a knock. I tore it down, had the machine work done, and rebuilt it with good components. Nothing fancy, just big rods on 2G pistons, ARP everything, ACL bearings, cometic hg, greddy timing belt and all new OEM accessories like oil pump, timing tensioner/pulley, etc. All that was $400 in machining including the rods and then a little over $1k for parts.

To get it into the 2G I extrude honed the 1G intake manifold, ported the exhaust manifold, bought poly mounts, and a black top CAS. I pretty much had everything else to do the swap. All in all it was around $3k for a 0 mile 6 bolt swapped into my 2G.

I drove it for a little less than a year and the 16g decided to self destruct, so I parked the car in my shop and drove my other 2G. It's sat for awhile now so I'm just going to put the stock 7 bolt back in and either sell or keep the motor for a rainy day. Then I'll peel the other aftermarket parts off and sell those too.

You can toss a junkyard 6 bolt into a 2G for less than $1k, but to do it right I'd put it more around $3k. I know this isn't the classifieds, but if you're seriously in the market for a 6 bolt swap I can sell you the motor and absolutely everything needed to pop it in for a really nice price. PM me if you'd like.

You guys are getting your 6 bolts for cheap... I must be looking in all the wrong places. i can only find them for around $1800.

6-bolt n/t LONG block for $350. 6-bolt turbo pistons for $50. $40 to put piston onto the beautiful 6-bolt rods found in the n/t 6-bolt block. Turbo exhaust cam for $10 (the intake cams are the same). Total: $450. Screw the oil squirters: they lower oil pressure and 20 psi seams to be fine w/ no squirters. I'll add them, if we decide to upgrade the internals.

I can get 6-bolt n/t LONG blocks $100 cheaper than what I paid. We were in a crunch for time and couldn't travel to the yards that were much more competitive.

6-bolt n/t LONG block for $350. 6-bolt turbo pistons for $50. $40 to put piston onto the beautiful 6-bolt rods found in the n/t 6-bolt block. Turbo exhaust cam for $10 (the intake cams are the same). Total: $450. Screw the oil squirters: the lower oil pressure and 20 psi seams to be fine w/ no squirters. I'll add them if we decide to upgrade the internals.

I can get 6-bolt n/t LONG blocks $100 cheaper than what I paid. We were in a crunch for time and couldn't travel to the yards that were much more competitive.

Ha, yeah you can always go with a N/T block. Alot of people are abandoning the use of oil squirter's, including Magnus. You just need to drill out the hole for the knock sensor.

Ha, yeah you can always go with a N/T block. Alot of people are abandoning the use of oil squirter's, including Magnus. You just need to drill out the hole for the knock sensor.

This one came with the knock sensor hole, even tapped w/ the right pitch and width. . . Some do, some don't, from my experience.

600 sounds like a bangin deal, being freshly built makes the deal even better, i bought a 90 tsi for 460 with a bad ecu, pulled the motor and sold the shell for 200 so i paid 260$ for a 6 bolt, if you look around im sure you can find good deals but what you got there i wouldnt pass up

Yea, I'm working on getting the money together but I'm not sure if its going to happen.. We will see but it does sound like a pretty good deal.
I just don't like taking the chance when I could possibly peace together a 6/bolt bottom with my 2g head for now and get all new components and know for sure its fresh and done right...

6-bolt n/t LONG block for $350.

I didn't even think of that^^,

So if I bought just the n/t shortblock and built it, then used my stock 2g head that would be a good alternative?? When does not having oil squirters become a factor hp wise?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming.:rocks:

You guys are getting your 6 bolts for cheap... I must be looking in all the wrong places. i can only find them for around $1800.

Your definitely looking in the wrong places;)

So if I bought just the n/t shortblock and built it, then used my stock 2g head that would be a good alternative?? When does not having oil squirters become a factor hp wise?
Building it would merely consist of swapping the 6-bolt pistons. Or having rods machined for the stronger 2g pistons. Either way you're looking at a 500whp build. Your 2g head has smaller head bolt holes. Do yourself a favor and use the 1g head/intake, considering how affordable the WHOLE LONGBLOCK is. Or atleast have a drill press widen the 2g holes.

No one really knows when the oil squirters become a factor. FWIW, I've seen guys run enough hp to max out a 20g w/ no oil squirters. That's closing in on the limit of the 6-bolt block's strength.

Building it would merely consist of swapping the 6-bolt pistons. Or having rods machined for the stronger 2g pistons. Either way you're looking at a 500whp build. Your 2g head has smaller head bolt holes. Do yourself a favor and use the 1g head/intake, considering how affordable the WHOLE LONGBLOCK is. Or atleast have a drill press widen the 2g holes.

No one really knows when the oil squirters become a factor. FWIW, I've seen guys run enough hp to max out a 20g w/ no oil squirters. That's closing in on the limit of the 6-bolt block's strength.

Well I already have the 2g pistons, I just have to pick up some rings. So the 1g big rods come in the n/t blocks too? Also is there a specific year that the "big rods" come in or is it all 6 bolts??

Btw, it looks like this deal might go through for the 6 bolt longblock. I found out the head was rebuild along with the bottom end and new timing components. The thing is I won't be able to use the 1g pulleys in my 2g right?? Or can I get away with not touching the timing side of the motor besides the driver side motor mount because the motor is in time and ready to drop in?

Also it looks like I'll be using the 1g head so I'll have to start reading about what I need to swap everything over, I have a few good sources on this forum so I need to start making a list.

I picked up my long block from the junck yard for $150. It included everything except turbo, exhaust manifold, and injectors. I am still in the process of building it up.

I picked up my 6 bolt (head+block) all built with forged internals for a little under 2k

You guys are stealing those motors from people :)

I can get 6bolts all day long for $135. I'm just too damn lazy.

I really should start pulling motors and selling them on here. :p

Well I already have the 2g pistons, I just have to pick up some rings. So the 1g big rods come in the n/t blocks too? Also is there a specific year that the "big rods" come in or is it all 6 bolts??

Btw, it looks like this deal might go through for the 6 bolt longblock. I found out the head was rebuild along with the bottom end and new timing components. The thing is I won't be able to use the 1g pulleys in my 2g right?? Or can I get away with not touching the timing side of the motor besides the driver side motor mount because the motor is in time and ready to drop in?

Also it looks like I'll be using the 1g head so I'll have to start reading about what I need to swap everything over, I have a few good sources on this forum so I need to start making a list.

You guys are stealing those motors from people :)

LOL oh did i mention there was no mileage on my purchase :)

$150 -- one hundred and fifty dollars. Throttle body elbow to turbo, valve cover to oil pan from a junkyard with 120k on it.

i actualy got one for free. there was a 91 fwd turbo laser in the same junkyard i got my 93 n/a eclipse in. i just swapped the motors ### the 91 was in horrible condition. the swap cost 700 plus all the seals and fluids and pumps that i replaced. it ended up being like 1100. but it was worth it and i watched some of it so i learned a little.

I got mine for $800 and it included the car hahaha. not to mention rims, exhaust and hid's.

Short blocks are $50 in my junkyard. Heads are $50 too, but everyone snags them too fast for me. There are 3 turbo 6 bolts and more than a few NT 6 bolts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back