The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What year & month does engine serial # NH0001 correspond to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I need to order some odd parts for my '92 Talon TSi AWD manual's engine and the parts catalog designates engine serial # NH0001 as the cutoff for certain parts. I.e. if the # is lower get this version, if it's higher get the other version. I haven't been able to find the SN of my engine. I understand that it's on the front near the lower part of the oil stick projection, which I can't get to without removing some parts. But if anyone knows what year & month NH0001 correspond to, that would suffice.

Also, an aside, I just found out that my Talon, which I've owned for over 28 years, is even rarer than I thought. It's not only turbo, AWD & manual, already fairly uncommon, but it's both 6-bolt crank AND 4-bolt rear axle, so it was made in that very short timeframe where they didn't quite yet switch over to a 7 bolt crank but did switch over to a 4-bolt rear axle. How many of these unicorns could they have made? My car's build date is stamped May 1992. It also has ABS, A/C, power windows and a sunroof, making it even rarer. No deluxe radio or leather seats, though. I didn't want or need either.

And only $20k total purchase price! (Ok, actually $20,250.)

Is there anything else I could check to add to the rarities?

And if I restore it well enough, how much could it fetch, ballpark?

Not that I'm looking to sell anytime soon, so stop salivating. :pray:

Yes, any M6 x 1 x 25 bolt should do the trick. Obviously, the key is to ensure the end of the tie bar is held down so add a washer as needed to ensure this end is captured.

Sure is fun, isn't it? :cool:
It's been so long I can't remember but I am fortunate enough that 2 of my 1g cars were very low mileage and I could swear they had a bolt there not a stud. One was a 90 and the other a 93.

It's been so long I can't remember but I am fortunate enough that 2 of my 1g cars were very low mileage and I could swear they had a bolt there not a stud. One was a 90 and the other a 93.

It's supposed to have a bolt, and used to have a bolt, but some nice mech working on the car at some point in the past was kind enough to turn it into a stud by snapping off the head. So yeah, bolt. Now I have the fun task of extracting the makeshift "stud" and replacing it with a proper bolt and washer.

Thanks. I have several bolt extraction kits and one of them should do the trick. I have the same problem with several mud guard bolts and one exhaust hanger bolt. Old car, rusty bolts.

Btw, one other quick question. I just got a speed bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder, as it's a pain to keep asking someone to help me with a standard bleeder. However the design of the 1G DSM slave cylinder makes it nearly impossible to loosen or tighten the bleeder using either end of a combo wrench, because the hex part is obscured by the banjo bolt and line.

The only way I've been able to loosen and tighten it is with a socket (11mm to make it even more interesting). But that prevents putting a bleeder hose on the end, so it's going to get messy. But I was wondering, does the check valve of a speed bleeder make it less likely that fluid will leak out the opening, as kind of a side benefit to its design? That would help a lot.

Last edited:
Thanks. I have several bolt extraction kits and one of them should do the trick. I have the same problem with several mud guard bolts and one exhaust hanger bolt. Old car, rusty bolts.

Btw, one other quick question. I just got a speed bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder, as it's a pain to keep asking someone to help me with a standard bleeder. However the design of the 1G DSM slave cylinder makes it nearly impossible to loosen or tighten the bleeder using either end of a combo wrench, because the hex part is obscured by the banjo bolt and line.

The only way I've been able to loosen and tighten it is with a socket (11mm to make it even more interesting). But that prevents putting a bleeder hose on the end, so it's going to get messy. But I was wondering, does the check valve of a speed bleeder make it less likely that fluid will leak out the opening, as kind of a side benefit to its design? That would help a lot.
I use either a line wrench or i put a box end on and then attach the hose and just leave the wrench on during the process.

Really hard to do on the 1G AWD clutch slave. However, it looks like the speed bleeder I got takes care of that by not allowing fluid to escape through the bleeder nipple due to the check valve inside, so I can use a socket instead. So long as I don't open it too far, it shouldn't leak. Bleeding this with the OEM valve has been a lot harder than bleeding a caliper. Much of that is due to access issues, of course, but the valve itself is awkwardly situated and designed.

I'm curious if your slave has been changed. Awd and fwd slaves are not the same. I dont remember any bleeder access issues. Ive only wrenched on a 2g lately.

It wouldn't have been me. The clutch has been replaced three times already, including the one that I just did, so perhaps a shop replaced it way back when. It's not impossible to reach, just really hard. Perhaps if I removed the center member then access would be easier, but with the speed bleeder I don't really need to now. The main annoyance now is that the vinyl tube tends to slip off the valve or pop out of the bleeder catch bottle, so I just ordered a length of 5mm silicone tubing to fix both issues. May these be my worst issues from here on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back