The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

what year is my 1g head

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFlashDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2010
stony brook, New_York
i just picked up a fully built port and 1mm over sized valve 1g head im trying to find the year of it!!!
i know its a 1g head...
casting says 2.0

what year is this head from and please verify if its a 1g 6 bolt or 1g 7 bolt head

Last edited:
6 or 7 bolt is easy, because 6 bolt head/blocks have the bigger head bolt/holes.

I'll be the one to ask -- why do you need to know?

Because you are not likely to ever find out.​

I'll be the one to ask -- why do you need to know?

Because you are not likely to ever find out.​

im doing a full build i have a revised 99 7 bolt bottom end, and im looking for the 93-94 1g head i just dont know if i got one here or not, because there is no info i can find on what castinng is what year except people saying 1g or 2g, the later 1g head is the one i wanna use,, its a 1g 7 bolt head 11mm studs

I still don't understand the "why". The head uses the dowels on the block to properly locate it; the head bolts simply clamp and hold everything together. But whatever floats your boat. :)

As Leo mentioned, the only other potential hint for the head is whether or not the exhaust manifold studs are all the same size. If they are, 6-bolt head. If the outer two are larger than the rest, it is possible it is a 1G 7-bolt head. Do be aware that someone could have replaced the two outer studs with the larger size studs after botching an attempt to pull broken studs out of the head at some point in time. Not really likely, but still really possible.

What is different between a 1G 6-bolt and 1G 7-bolt is a completely different question than being able to determine what year the head came from.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back