The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

What would you do with 5,000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbTalonES94

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
So i will be buying a 92 GSX with a motor rebuilt by Mitsubishi ~30k ago. Everything is perfect. I also will be selling my car and will have 5k to my disposal on this car. What do you guys think i should do? I have plenty of ideas, just thought i would see what you guys think :thumb:

since you dont own one yet , you shouldnt plan on spending 5k on mods , once you own one you will learn to save up incase of repairs..

I say spend at MOST half on mods/tune ups and save the rest..

I would!

I own a 94 ES that i turboed a year ago. Look at my gallery :thumb:

I will definatly get all maintenance out of the way first but it shouldn't need much since the motor was rebuilt by mitsubishi. That is one motor that i shouldn't have to rebuilt...since i rebuilt mine twice :(

Buy a different car....

A stock :dsm: rebuild is only a decent starting point not a great one.

Your saying a 4bolt/6bolt in immaculat condition isn't a good starting point? This car will be daily driven with stock internals and a MLS headgasket w/arp studs. Then bolt ons....common guys give me some imagination.

It's just that with $5,000 to play with and making very wise choices you could easily get parts that would shatter the 1g rods when tuned to their full potential....

If I had $5000 cash on the start of that :dsm: project and had that car I would do at minimum a quick wiseco/eagle swap... Pull the head and pan and do it in car.......

Or get a non running shell cheap so I start out with a JS trans and a forged engine.

Well yea that is a good thought. I'm thinking my goal is to have roughly 350-400hp and daily drive it. I don't beat on my cars and i rarely race them :D so it should be fine. Tunning it will be via Gm maf-t and dsm-link. I am thinking just 50-trim, 3" exhaust, fmic w/short-route, etc. The basics that have been proven over and over to work. 5k will be to have everything lovely and work for years to come.

tbTalonES94 said:
So i will be buying a 92 GSX with a motor rebuilt by Mitsubishi ~30k ago. Everything is perfect. I also will be selling my car and will have 5k to my disposal on this car. What do you guys think i should do? I have plenty of ideas, just thought i would see what you guys think :thumb:
sell both and get something real nice that won't break down on you.

Lol you can tell you guys have had these cars for a long time. I have had a DSM since i was 16 and i love working on them. Yea yea they break down every once in awhile but if you take care of them, do modifications right, tune it right and it will be just fine. Plus any car that is making good power is going to break SOMETHING. Just hope the tranny holds :p

tbTalonES94 said:
Lol you can tell you guys have had these cars for a long time. I have had a DSM since i was 16 and i love working on them. Yea yea they break down every once in awhile but if you take care of them, do modifications right, tune it right and it will be just fine. Plus any car that is making good power is going to break SOMETHING. Just hope the tranny holds :p
Yes I agree, but with both sold you would be in the 10-12K range for a car...
you could upgrade to something really nice, and less prone for destruction...

You are definately in the 97+ 'Stang/LS1 range. Those take upgrades very well, and break less expensive things...

That's what I always tell people too when this sort of situation comes up. Most "import" owners however are too biased and have the "imports for life" attitude :notgood: .

On the 1g I would just get a 50 trim, 3" turbo back, sbr mani, arps, mls, fmic, tial bov, custom piping, dsmlink, gm maft, electronic boost controller, act2600, and some 272s and call it a day. That's 5k well spent and "should" still be fairly reliable.

Well i'm not import biased. Any good Stangs, Ls1's, etc. around here are just too expensive. I don't have both cars right now anywa. I will be buying one for 2500 with money i already have. Then selling my ES for 5k and have 5k to put into a car. If i sold my es and didn't buy a car then that would be 7500. Even if i did find a decent non-import car i wouldn't have any money to do anything to it. Insurance is a lot more on those cars and i live in Iowa....so i really want all wheel drive. Don't get me wrong i would love to have a nice Cobra or an F-body but they are just kind of out of my price range, and driving one of those even stock in the winter would suck real bad.

Those mods you listed are basically what i am going to go for. Everything top-notch built to last. Everything will be done 100% correctly, no short-cuts, no nothing. Thanks for all the imput guys!!

Keep em commin by the way!

RWD + posi + z rated + snow = :cry:

I still like AWD...

AGP RS60T - 800
SBR Cast Manifold - 300
720cc Injectors - 200
255lph Pump - 100
Aeromotive FPR - 250
DSMlink - dont remember the 1g price, say 500ish
Fmic ebay core - 200
Custom piping - 100
ACT2600 - 350
3" turboback Exhaust - 300(muffler shop made)

so were at 2800 bucks.

now you wanna do more than 20psi?
eagle rods/wiseco pistons
shep or TRE built tranny.

Thomas91169 said:
AGP RS60T - 800
SBR Cast Manifold - 300
720cc Injectors - 200
255lph Pump - 100
Aeromotive FPR - 250
Fmic ebay core - 200
Custom piping - 100
ACT2600 - 350

so were at 2800 bucks.

300 for the sbr manifold? haha :sneaky: he'd do just fine with a ported 2g mani.
there are better deals for afpr's
(i love how you budget so much money for the most useless shit then skimp out and get ebay core fmic's)

and you dont need a built motor to do more than 20 psi

i have taken my stock long block besides arp head studs to 29 psi on 111octane countless times with no issues.

Thomas91169 said:
AGP RS60T - 800
SBR Cast Manifold - 300
720cc Injectors - 200
255lph Pump - 100
Aeromotive FPR - 250
Fmic ebay core - 200
Custom piping - 100
ACT2600 - 350

so were at 2800 bucks.

Man where you getting your prices from? 200 for 720 injectors? 250 for a FPR. The new SBR manifolds are 299. No muffler shop around here does mandrel bending :notgood: so i'm going to have to make my exhaust. Intercooler will be 350 and i will get stainless bends and make my own short route piping. I think there is a guy in DSMtimes that ran a 9 something with stock internals. Granted i think it was in a COLT but still.

I too think the prices thomas listed are a bit off. Plus no money for shipping and taxes and such are included in his list. You'd still need a bov and you can't do custom pipng for $100 unless you want it looking ridiculously ghetto and mild steel?

Lol the tranny will be my weakspot. IF it does start to give me problems then i will invest in one. I did my own custom short-route ss piping for 58 dollars. You can get ss mendral bent peices from ebay. I have a Tig welder...works nicely :cool:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back