The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

what weight oil should I use for ticking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfred480

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2009
Mississauga, ON_Canada
Currently using 5w30 valvoline synthetic and my lifters r ticking like mad now, any recommendations on what oil weight I should use to help with the ticking? I searched around the forum and I hear that 10w30 is the factory recommended should I go thicker or just try to 10w30 and see how that goes first? Or even possibly add lucas oil stabilizer to my current oil?

Thanks
Alfred

2slow4now is correct in everything.

One additional thing about synthetics causing leaks...not only are they "slicker" they also have high detergents...no not Tide.

The detergents,on older cars that have had leaks that eventually sealed up because of dirt,sludge, can clean that sludge away enough so that the car starts leaking.

So they did not cause the leak. It was already there just sludged up.

Synthetics also have seal swelling additives to keep your seals that are not leaking from leaking.

I would probably stick with a 10w-30 because you're in Canada and it gets cold, LOL.
Try a bottle of Engine Restorer 6cyl.
It should make your lifters near silent in a matter of minutes. I've used it on 3 dsms with slight lifter tick and it got rid of it. My current one used to get phantom knock from the lifters and cause normal drivability issues from time to time. Engine Restorer took care of it in about a block.
Years ago when I was new into dsms, someone told me about how well the product worked for this issue.
Also, thin synthetic oils have a tendency to find oil leaks in older engines that have regularly used conventional oil.

not trying to be a dick but way wrong on the bottle of engine restorer 6cyl.
if you read the back of it, it says not reccomended for turbo charged engines. it may not say it on the 6cyl can but i know for sure it says it on the 4 cyl can.

use royal purple 5w-30 synthetic. it cured mine but its like $9 a quart. if not run a quart of atf through it for 10 min then change your oil. that should get rid of it

sounds good to me just make sure you don't drive it when you have the atf in it. no real load on the engine.

How many miles is on the motor, for I bet the tops of them lifters are getting flattened some, or the insides of each lifter can't hold oil too well causing them to collapse too readilly and you aint gonna get rid of any tick no matter what weight of oil heads into them.

Time to do the lifter replacement job and those ticking probs will be gone for sure, but do the 3G variety since they have larger ports than the stock ones.

Good luck - DSM

Yea my car has 180,000km on it and I put in 15w40 Royal Purple Full synthetic today the lifters still tick a bit, so i'll probably need the lifter job done. I will do that later on.

Thanks

lucas oil cleared a knock up for me one time. It ended up being a rod bearing. It'll help a bit, just get the 3g lifters you won't be sorry I promise its worth it in the long run.

Did rebuild on my engine.Put 2500 miles on break in used 10w 30 just changed to royal purple 10 30 read instructions on bottle even they recommend 10 30 for street cars . It sounds crazy the engine runs a little cooler oil pressure at start up is a little lower other tah that the engine is running fine.I'm going to try their other products to see how they do.

I used 10w/30 Valvoline synthetic. I've had lifter tick like clockwork for 12 years. Then all of a sudden since my last seafoam treatment, nothing. They should be going off like mad in the winter, but they've been silent for months.

I tried seafoam, marvel mystery oil, lucas, lucas upper cyl. lube. The 3g lifters solve it all, no cover ups.

I had intermittant lifter ticking, to the point I thought I needed a head rebuild. I've since added 1 quart of Lucas oil stailizer and I can't remember the last time I've heard the ticking. Seems to have helped significantly.

Awesome thanks guys! I'll order them and do the job later on when I get more time or I'll just take it to my mechanic and he can do it, but I'll need money before I can do it.

I have been using Mobil 1 10w30 and the Mobil 1 oil filter, recently my lifters started ticking louder and more often, i received a gift card from Advanced Auto so i thought I'd give the Royal Purple a try. 500 miles later and my lifters are making even more noise and i have noticed a puff of blue smoke at startup :notgood:

What are your claims to having too thin of an oil? If you run synthetic than stick with synthetic. Using inferior oils won't get rid of lifter tick so regular is out. It only takes at most an hour to do the lifters with out taking the the cams off. Just need a pry bar and sturdy flat head screwdriver. That's how I've done mine both times without issues.

Pry bar and a large flathead screwdriver to change out lifters? I am interested in this procedure as im changing out my lifters again. Put in a cheap e-bay set of 3g's. Tick is back after 500 miles uugh! So i got some "top line" ones on the way and any tips to make the job easier. Would be most appreciated. Thank you

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back