1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

What up!! From San Antonio

Posted by Robby, Jan 27, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. Robby

Robby Probationary Member

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    What's up new here from San Antonio. Looking for info and help from you guys and gals . I'm looking into buying a 98 gsx. It'll be my first dsm so looking forward to it. Any info advice help would be good. Anyone here from SA do yall have meets would like to check out your builds thanks

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. streetraceboi

streetraceboi Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yea I believe hes the one who posted in our group lookin at a GSX from Louisiana

4. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hey what's yeah it's me LOL

5. streetraceboi

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Id stay away from that GSX. Unless hes giving it away for like 1k

Robby likes this.
  6. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    So I'm getting ready to buy one And I have a question for yall. Is it worth buying and building a GSX or should I look for something else . I want to build it to be fast and be able to be daily driven even tho I won't. Or should I look at something else. Only reason I chose this was 1500 for the car and about another 15k to 20k to make it fast hoping 750 800 to keep up with my friends. I was gonna buy a different car but ended up buying a house instead. So before I just start throwing money. Is it worth it ? I've been reading and reading and still unsure .

7. streetraceboi

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well to put it simply, its HARD to find a car with the best bang for the buck...besides a DSM. Whether it be a 1g or a 2g id assume around 1500-4500 for the car...give or take on condition. It doesn't take much money to make these cars "quick" especially if you keep it simple and effective. That's IF you do all your own work of course. Plan on doubling that if youre planning on having a shop do the work, and aspirin for the headaches that come with most L O L. So, is it worth it? Hell yes. Is it worth it to you? Only you can decide that. With ANY car you've gotta pay to play. Remember, these cars are almost 30 years old so nothing is going to be perfect. I think the hardest part these days is even finding a platform that isn't half assed or beat to death. And what do your friends drive to be having to keep up with them? They all drive 750-800hp cars? L O L

Robby likes this.
  8. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Yeah true everything i find is pretty bad shape either tranny or won't turn on. I plan on rebuilding bottom end maybe stroke , top end tranny, tcase whatever I need to make sure it won't break . I'm looking for a 2g I have a 97 and 99 in mind so just waiting on those responses. I'll try and do most of the work I can but I'll have to have a shop build the motor and stuff. I plan on redoing anything I can to bring it back to new. All my friends have built mustang's hellcats camaros and vettes. I had a scatpack but it was too slow to keep up with them and I wasn't gonna build a car that isn't paid off so yeah. That's what I'm looking at a 2g gsx cheap awd fun always wanted one. And a mini supra since I couldn't buy a real one at 50k LOL

9. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    If you're buying a DSM so that you can spend 20k to keep up with your friends then you're getting into this for all the wrong reasons. You would ideally get into DSMs because you love them, and you want to build a high hp DSM. You'll be destined to fail.

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  10. streetraceboi

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well youll be beating them with 1/4 of the cost LOL And luckily since youre in San Antonio youll have me to bug, which I don't mind helping people AT ALL...as long as youre willing to put in the work and aren't a complete ASKHOLE, in which...ill just ignore you LOL And these cars don't take much to make them fast....but like Nick said...you've gotta be dedicated for all the right reasons.

11. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    I know I won't keep up with them. And I've always wanted an eclipse. Then fast and furious came out and definitely wanted one. Just didn't know what kind gs or RS Then a older classmate from high school had a gsx and when I heard that turbo i just had to have one after . But I stayed away tho cause I always wanted a 1000 hp car but never got to build one cause hell just too much and wife wouldn't allow it. Now that I've been divorced for over a year. I can finally buy and build what I want. And a dsm is the cheapest thing to start with I think.

12. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lmao yeah I'll definitely beat them in price but nah I'm not some cocky I know everything asshole I just need help advice and some guidance. I'll listen and go with what is offered .

13. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    $15k-20k to get a DSM up to 800hp? Hey, at least you know you're going to have to spend some money to make some big power - most people come here asking how to do it for $1k. Chances are you won't need that much to reach your goal, but who knows how much you'll break along the way trying to get there. Always good to have a lot of money on hand when doing a big HP build ;)

Welcome to the site!

Street Build 8K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  14. Robby

Joined Jan 25, 2019
    San Antonio, Texas
    Thanks and from what I've seen people selling their gsx's for 13-15k they say they spend around 20k for 450-500 hp. So idk I guess I'll see when I do start putting money into this. Of course it's going to take me a few months to a year to get everything together. But I've got nothing but time. And yeah that's wishful thinking a 1k build would be nice LOL