The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What Turbo is this? [Merged] Turbo ID Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys. Curious if anyone can name this turbo.. I apologize ahead of time for the minimal informatio. The turbo is on a car I plan on purchasing but the owner seems to think it's stock.. Which it's obviously not. Here are the two pictures I have. Unfortunately none of the wheel itself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-07-11-54-56.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-07-11-54-56.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 121
  • received_1134886319870128.jpeg
    received_1134886319870128.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 134
Hey guys. Curious if anyone can name this turbo.. I apologize ahead of time for the minimal informatio. The turbo is on a car I plan on purchasing but the owner seems to think it's stock.. Which it's obviously not. Here are the two pictures I have. Unfortunately none of the wheel itself.
Its a Garrett thats for sure, maybe a t25. I am only guessing though.

I need help identifying this turbo, thought it was suppose to be a 20g but from the serial numbers I am confused.

On the Hot side:
(mitsubishi symbol) 78-13700 070 p5 2s/X26
On the Cold side:
TDO5 A3 (1K) (6/0) S k301011 49178-01410

The turbo looks ported with duel fins also.

Hello everyone, just picked up 3 good sized turbos for dirt cheap and was wondering what they are so I can get some flow numbers on these. I have a feeling they are Chinese but I am not 100% what they are. I will upload pics of one of them at a time and when that one is figured out, move on to the next one and post a group of pictures for it. This 1st one had "HX" stamped on the turbine side. Fake Holset something?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, just picked up 3 good sized turbos for dirt cheap and was wondering what they are so I can get some flow numbers on these. I have a feeling they are Chinese but I am not 100% what they are. I will upload pics of one of them at a time and when that one is figured out, move on to the next one and post a group of pictures for it. This 1st one had "HX" stamped on the turbine side. Fake Holset something?

Looks like some variant/knock-off of a Ford Powerstroke diesel OEM turbo - reverse rotation and v-band divided turbine.

Knockoff GTP38 from a 7.3 Powerstroke....99-03 models specifically. Basically useless on anything except a 7.3 Powerstroke due to how these turbos are supplied oil.
Thanks for the replies. Yea all 3 have the same weird looking center housing for the oil supply so I suspect all 3 are for the powerstroke. Still would like to know what they are. Even with them being knockoffs, do you think that they would all flow fairly close to their genuine counterparts? This one's a little smaller housing wise and has a 9 blade wheel.

Last edited:
Another knockoff GTP38.

A local guy installed one of these once on a higher-mileage 7.3 Powerstroke and the turbine came apart BAD at around 15,000 miles. He had already sold/scrapped the failed OEM turbo so I ended up rebuilding/installing a Genuine Garrett GTP38 CHRA into his knockoff housings to get him back on the road as the GTP38 core I had wasn't the correct unit for his truck (housings were different).

I wouldn't do anything with these if I were you...they're around $350-$400 new, maybe you can get $100-$150 a piece for them on Craigslist or something and use that money toward an actual turbo worth using.

Another knockoff GTP38.

A local guy installed one of these once on a higher-mileage 7.3 Powerstroke and the turbine came apart BAD at around 15,000 miles. He had already sold/scrapped the failed OEM turbo so I ended up rebuilding/installing a Genuine Garrett GTP38 CHRA into his knockoff housings to get him back on the road as the GTP38 core I had wasn't the correct unit for his truck (housings were different).

I wouldn't do anything with these if I were you...they're around $350-$400 new, maybe you can get $100-$150 a piece for them on Craigslist or something and use that money toward an actual turbo worth using.
Agreed, this isn't going on my DSM. Just wanted to know what they were. Figured they would most likely be junk anyhow. I won't bother posting the 3rd one because I'm sure it's more of the same. Still curious; would these knockoffs flow similar to the real things? The real ones flow about 60lb/min from what I have read. I'm guessing the 9 blade one would flow a bit less than that?

The 9-blade compressor is the "newest" tech but it's the one everybody can't wait to get rid of because it surges like a bi***. The 10-blade (5-major, 5-minor) older GTP38 compressor is the one everybody wants, and some diesel vendors label as a "wicked wheel" even though it's just a stock compressor from a 94-98 GTP38.

I have no clue what that 12-blade (6-major, 6-minor) wheel you have there is....likely just a Chinese revision of the stock wheel to get around copyright laws or something.

The 9-blade compressor is the "newest" tech but it's the one everybody can't wait to get rid of because it surges like a bi***. The 10-blade (5-major, 5-minor) older GTP38 compressor is the one everybody wants, and some diesel vendors label as a "wicked wheel" even though it's just a stock compressor from a 94-98 GTP38.

I have no clue what that 12-blade (6-major, 6-minor) wheel you have there is....likely just a Chinese revision of the stock wheel to get around copyright laws or something.
Great, that's all good to know. Thank you very much.

I need help identifying this turbo, thought it was suppose to be a 20g but from the serial numbers I am confused.

On the Hot side:
(mitsubishi symbol) 78-13700 070 p5 2s/X26
On the Cold side:
TDO5 A3 (1K) (6/0) S k301011 49178-01410

The turbo looks ported with duel fins also.
We're going to need photos or compressor specs at the very least. You gave us the turbine housing part number from an Evo III 16G and the compressor housing part number from a 14B.

Attachments

• Turbo1.jpg
    Turbo1.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Turbo2.jpg
    Turbo2.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Turbo3.jpg
    Turbo3.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 96
It's a big 16G. You have a 16G style wheel.
We're going to need photos or compressor specs at the very least. You gave us the turbine housing part number from an Evo III 16G and the compressor housing part number from a 14B.
That serial number can also apply to big 16G's too can't it?
The 49178-01410 turbos are 14B's, also. I have more than one at my shop.

Last edited:
That Turbo is most definitely not a 16g. Thats looks like a turbo lab cast 20g conversion. The polished and milled inlet is a dead give away.

Came off a 2014 Sonata and has a flange (no pic of flange). low mileage warranty turbo, no shaft play.

Just trying to find a bit of info out and if it worth picking up.

It looks like a K04 turbo off a Volvo. If you could take a few more pics of the hot side flanges it would help. If it is a K04 they are good turbo's. Do you want to put this on a DSM?

That makes sense and I completely missed his post that said it came off a sonata. Still good turbo.

Came off a 2014 Sonata and has a flange (no pic of flange). low mileage warranty turbo, no shaft play.
Standard TD04 13T rotating assembly- roughly the same potential as a DSM 13G, Subie 13T, and a few Saab/Volvo turbos of the same size which were also built by Mitsubishi. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back