The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What Turbo is this? [Merged] Turbo ID Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Your only option is to figure out what Garrett T04E wheel it is, buy another one, and have it machined and rebalanced to work with the MHI turbine shaft. Last time I had that done for a customer it cost upwards of $200 for the new compressor wheel alone...that didn't include the rebuild parts and labor.

So outside of buying a new wheel and getting it machined and rebalanced or buying a different compressor cover to work with whatever wheel you'd rather run, you're going to put some serious money into this thing if you want to use it just to be left with slow-spooling, outdated tech from 14 years ago.

I got this turbo with the last gsx I bought. Serial numbers look grinded off. Any idea what it is and what its good to as far as power?

Attachments

• SURFACE - WIN_20140417_182702.jpg
    SURFACE - WIN_20140417_182702.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 108
  • SURFACE - WIN_20140417_182716.jpg
    SURFACE - WIN_20140417_182716.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 89
Hey Justin, thank you in a advance <3 Pulled this off my GST the other day to attempt to swap in the 14B.. the oil feed line thread was completely different and the coolant feed was also tapped from a place other than where the 14B is.. long story short I had to throw this one back on the car after 2 days of :banghead:

Attachments

• IMG177.jpg
    IMG177.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG178.jpg
    IMG178.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG181.jpg
    IMG181.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG182.jpg
    IMG182.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG183.jpg
    IMG183.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 76
Can somebody confirm what this is please? Thanks in advance.

Casting on this include Garrett TR0759,
N5S
5ZL
H1
On the exhaust side, the intake side has
A/R
M10
The tag in the center is real hard to read, something along the lines of
ZC 0420J
MN167909
466491-5
Made in Japan

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Having issues uploading all of the pictures but I have this turbo and not sure what it is. It was said to be an HRC Super 16G but it looks nothing like the ones I have seen.

It does however look very similar to a T28. I say this because:
The housings between the mystery turbo (left) looks like the T25 (right).
Both have the M24 castings.
Has a nipple on the housing.
You can tell it has been bored to fit a bigger wheel.

More info:
Number of blades on cold side:
This turbo: 10

Number of blades on hotside:
This turbo: 12
T28: 10
Big T28: 9
TD04/TD05: 12
T25:11

Why I have a hard time being that it is a T28:
90 degree inlet looks to have been welded on. The T25 and T28 already have the inlet so no need to weld one on.
The housings do share some differences visually.

I dont know.enough about turbos to know which this is. Number of blades, castings, etc. Anyone have any ideas? Ill try to upload the rest of the pics.

Last edited:
What about a t28 killer?
Possibly- if so it's nothing more than a Big 16G with a different compressor cover. More photos of the turbo itself and compressor specs would unravel the mystery.

The previous owner was unsure of what this is.
Any ideas?

Thanks

I have a Holset I bought that had the compressor tag removed I Know that there are numerous threads for Holset turbo's but, I am Limited to where I can post. Can anyone gimme an Idea of what Holset I have? or How to find out? (The center section has a Holset stamp 3530521) I would like to eventually sell it on here but have to wait until I am a proven Member .. Please help here is a picture to help, thanks

Can you take off the compressor cover and measure the wheel inducer and exducer with a mic. Knowing those numbers would help know what turbo you have.

It's a 7-blade 54/78mm HX35 from a 99-02 Dodge Truck. Compressor wheel's damaged; turbo should be rebuilt with a new compressor wheel before use. Worth around $175-$200 in it's current condition.
How were you able to tell thats a HX35? i have done endless searching on the serial numbers? i am not aware of any damage on the compressor wheel Ill take better pictures, however the snap ring is broken and the turbine seal plate was missing.. thanks

Because I rebuild these turbos every day. Part number on the missing tag would be 3592766...there is only one type of HX35 that has the actuator provision on the compressor cover.

Looks like the compressor wheel is chipped in the first photo, though it could be an illusion.

Okay thanks and, I stand corrected the compressor wheel has damage. thanks.

This one is a monster but any guesses?

I dont currently have access to a set of calipers or a mic so the closest I get is with a tape.

Turbine exducer seems to be approximately 3.5 inches or 88.9mm and the inducer is a little under 4 inches or 101.6mm

Compressor inducer approximately 2.75 inches or 69.85mm exducer 4 inches or 101.6mm.

Here are a few pics of wheel markings and the compressor housing that has Airesearch under a million coats of paint. The Turbine housing has no readable markings that I can find due to a lot of rust.

Robert

What turbo is this?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 98
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 79
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 93
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 97
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back