The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What Turbo is this? [Merged] Turbo ID Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well its smaller than my 4088r and way smaller than my HX52 so definitely not too big for a 2.0, I was more curious about what it would compare to (60-1? Non BB GT35?) as I was tempted to use it for mock up on one of my compound turbo projects and see what footprint if any that turbine would match.

Definitely won't be running that POS.. looks like the previous owner did though.

Could be....but without any wheel specs I'm as clueless as you are. Many of these were built in the very beginning where they weren't necessarily modeled after any particular turbo in production, just built and called a "T04Z" or something along those lines.

By "too big for DSM use" I meant it's not a drop-in replacement for a 14B by any means.

Upon further inspection there is a number stamped where I couldn't see anything. 49178-01470

what turbos are these?!?!!?

group test!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/IMG]

Well, the wheel looks like mine... Except that thing is in some rough shape, and who the hell is TEC? Other than the general fin pattern of the wheel, the housing has a few lumps and bumps the aren't on my MHI 18g.

i posted their link, and the turbo has no shaft play at all and spools strong. Maybe looks rough since its dirty but ive never owned a turbo with a crisp turbine wheel.

I got it off a 2g gsx i bought for 300 with everything functioning but a leaking head gasket, and broken windows.

i pulled everything/ parted out/ made more than triple my money and threw out my t 25 for this turbo.

i typed the numbers into google and poped up an evo3 16g but best to ask jusmx141 hell know for sure.

TEC is the turbo brand, and their site has the part numbers under the 18g turbo.

Their TEC 16g turbo numbers are:
89 - 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon
Item#: 49178-01470
Options: Upgrade Size:EVO 3 16g Upgrade Turbo

TEC 18g:

89 - 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon
Item#: 49178-05300
Options: Upgrade Size:18g Turbo Upgrade

Well, you can't argue with tripling your money! :thumb: I am not saying that you shouldn't run it, I just haven't heard of that company before... If it is clean and doesn't have a bunch of crap in the CHRA, it should be fun. I love my 18g. It was a nice step up from the 14b I had before. If you're going from a T25 to an 18g, you'll really like it. :D

Ah yeah i cant wait to get this turbo running good, I was having some laggy Spool, and i could feel this huge leak (ffwd copper gasket wasnt enough) on the manifold to the head and stripped out 2 studs :ohdamn:

No i have to learn how to helicoil, but the manifold had to come off. Its just not sitting flat and needs to be resurfaced.

And about TEC, i've seen some posts about WRX running their turbos on their forums.

I have the same 18g from TEC. I have no complaints about it. But the comp wheel got chewed up by something so I replaced it with a 20g wheel with the 16g comp housing form Kinugawa. Seems like it is dragging after the rebuild even with a new turbine shaft.

I have the same 18g from TEC. I have no complaints about it. But the comp wheel got chewed up by something so I replaced it with a 20g wheel with the 16g comp housing form Kinugawa. Seems like it is dragging after the rebuild even with a new turbine shaft.

Dragging!? like pysically dragging, contact with the compressor cover? Stop driving it then.

If you mean, laggy, like its take longer to spool, make sense, its a larger compressor wheel.

I'd find out if the company has a good rep for turbos before installing it. For all we know it can be the same people that bring us the Chinese evo 3 16g GT -LOL.

The price for this 18g turbo on their site is 950+

I doubt its comparable to chinese turbos, but i would like to read some reviews.

I was speaking worst case scenerio wise when I made that comparison :p
Yeah, I would do the same as well. BTW, I thought Greddy made the 18g's?

Dragging!? like pysically dragging, contact with the compressor cover? Stop driving it then.

If you mean, laggy, like its take longer to spool, make sense, its a larger compressor wheel.

I haven't installed it yet.

Yes, physically dragging with no comp or turbine cover on. The section that I have marked are the area that it is dragging. After that it turns freely. I have no idea what's going on, I've put in a new rebuild kit, new turbine wheel, and new comp wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_20121228_140107.jpg
    IMG_20121228_140107.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 89
I was speaking worst case scenerio wise when I made that comparison :p
Yeah, I would do the same as well. BTW, I thought Greddy made the 18g's?

yeah ive seen their 18g when trying to find this turbo of mine, but those 18g are ball bearing.

But yes i was worried it could of been chinese crap before i found their site, still not sure how good and reliable this turbo is tho.

I thought Greddy made the 18g's?
Greddy doesn't make turbos- they buy them from Mitsubishi, put their label on the cover, and triple the price.

I haven't installed it yet.

Yes, physically dragging with no comp or turbine cover on. The section that I have marked are the area that it is dragging. After that it turns freely. I have no idea what's going on, I've put in a new rebuild kit, new turbine wheel, and new comp wheel.
If you're having issues, feel free to start your own thread in the correct forum (Turbo System Tech).

Any ideas people? Is that a BEP housing?
Thanks

I'm thinking it's a PTE. I'm pretty sure I've seen this but don't know for sure. It was on a DSM I know that. Hole drilled for a vac nipple, says A/R .60 on compressor cover..

So can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• IMG957004.jpg
    IMG957004.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG959589.jpg
    IMG959589.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back