The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What Turbo is this? [Merged] Turbo ID Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i got this turbo from a friend of mine. he rebuild the motor on a dudes gsx and the owner wanted the car "all stock", so he replaced the turbo and got this one for free. the owner of the car said the turbo was an "upgrade" but didn't specify anything else. im not sure if its a t25 or t28. i've been searching all day and just cant get a definite answer. the only way i can seem to find, is to take the compressor housing off and measure the wheel with a mic. i though maybe you guys could help.

pics
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

An easy way to tell is the number of blades on the turbine.

11 blades: T25
10 blades: T28
9 blades: Big T28

thanks guys. your life savers. its a t25. any idea what he mean by upgrade? maybe he was just wrong.

Shoguy- It wouldn't be the first time someone selling a car lied. It's the stock turbo and not good for much HP at all. Not very reliable either.

OP- It wouldn't be the first time someone selling a car lied. It's the stock turbo and not good for much HP at all. Not very reliable either.

its for a low boost twin turbo budget build. 10 psi max. each bank is 1.6l and if i can get 175 hp each bank i'll be happy.

whats so unreliable about them?

its for a low boost twin turbo budget build. 10 psi max. each bank is 1.6l and if i can get 175 hp each bank i'll be happy.

whats so unreliable about them?

Then it might be okay. I'm no turbo expert so I can't pinpoint the reason for failure. But every T25 I've had in my hands had massive shaft play, blown oil seals, and a cracked wastegate port. They are well known for failing and don't flow much at all, regardless of PSI.

Actually, one of the first things guys do to a 2g DSM is get rid of the T25 for at least a 14b or 16g. Most of time not by choice.

the one i have has no shaft play and seals are good. im picking another one up for $50 with supposed no shaft play. for that price, i'll give them a try and keep a close eye on them. the sho engine does like alot of air flow. so if they choke up top i'll change them out. thanks for the tip though. when i go pick that other t25 up i'll check for those problems.
you guys have been great. thanks for the help. too bad i don't have a dsm. you seem like a nice bunch to chat with. :)

So I just bought a B16g from a seller on here and just wanted to confirm. It looks like the "42" has worn away. Is there any other way to tell if in fact it is? Preferably without taking it apart. I attached some pictures. Also I just wanted to add that the seller said that he still had the 6cm housing so it spools a little faster.

Attachments

• IMG_20120719_153344.jpg
    IMG_20120719_153344.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20120719_153358.jpg
    IMG_20120719_153358.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20120719_153406.jpg
    IMG_20120719_153406.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 72
@JusMX141 Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think the seller was lying, but at the same time I just started to get into tuning, and wanted to make sure.

I picked it up for $250, and seemed like a really good deal. I have usually seen used ones go for $400-500. P.O. said it was rebuilt 3-4k ago. No shaft play, and no gouges near the turbines. A little dirty but nothing a wire wheel/dremel can't take care of.

I was planning on porting the housing out to 7cm though, that would work right? I wish I could just grab the install kit, and put it right in. I mean I COULD, but I want to do ALL general maintenance first. My head gasket went so I am taking care of that along w/ 60k maintenance (all new OEM timing components + water pump) After I finish w/ maintenance I might, but I don't have supporting mods yet. I know I could get away with running 10-12 psi, but I'd rather do it the right way the first time.

need some help identifying my turbo has t3 housing :confused:

Attachments

• turbo 5.jpg
    turbo 5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 62
  • turbo 2.jpg
    turbo 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 85
  • turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 79
  • turbo 3.jpg
    turbo 3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 69
P.O. said it was rebuilt 3-4k ago.
Often I wonder how every used turbo was "just rebuilt less than 5k ago". :hmm:

need some help identifying my turbo has t3 housing   :confused:
Hahn Super 16G.

Can't believe someone put that turbo on an ERL manifold. You either need to upgrade the turbo or downgrade the manifold / turbine housing- you're losing about 500rpms of spool that you're not making up for in the turbine flow department over the same turbo with a 7cm DSM bolt-on turbine housing and manifold setup.

Oh it'll work just fine, it's just not suited for that turbo too well. The 10cm turbine housing favors high boost levels or lots of turbine flow, neither of which will be generated by that particular turbo. There's a 20G here that would be a direct replacement but have much better boost efficiency in the higher RPM range, but honestly that manifold flows so well it would favor something much larger than even a 20G....and being FWD, I'm sure you'll appreciate a little lag.

You'll never have to upgrade that manifold as long as you own the car- they're an excellent piece.

Thanks for the info appreciate it
Oh it'll work just fine, it's just not suited for that turbo too well. The 10cm turbine housing favors high boost levels or lots of turbine flow, neither of which will be generated by that particular turbo. There's a 20G here that would be a direct replacement but have much better boost efficiency in the higher RPM range, but honestly that manifold flows so well it would favor something much larger than even a 20G....and being FWD, I'm sure you'll appreciate a little lag.

You'll never have to upgrade that manifold as long as you own the car- they're an excellent piece.

I'm trying to figure out what turbo this is...was told it was a Bullseye 50 trim but I'm not too sure about that.
Has a mitsubishi flanged hotside and o2 housing.
Oh and if possible could someone tell me what hotside housing I could swap for a t3 inlet and keep the mitsu o2 housing?
Pics...

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 59
  • imagejpeg_2(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_2(1).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 59
  • imagejpeg_2(2).jpg
    imagejpeg_2(2).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 61
  • imagejpeg_2(3).jpg
    imagejpeg_2(3).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 59
I'm trying to figure out what turbo this is...was told it was a Bullseye 50 trim but I'm not too sure about that.
Bullseye T04B V-Trim.
Oh and if possible could someone tell me what hotside housing I could swap for a t3 inlet and keep the mitsu o2 housing?
Pics...
None.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back