The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What Turbo is this? [Merged] Turbo ID Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It COULD be that someone dropped a real MHI 16g into the Chinese turbine housing and utilized the adjustable wastegate actuator that comes on the China knockoffs, but based on the shine of the compressor cover without seeing the rest of it I’d guess it is indeed a Chinese knockoff.

It's probably a knockoff. The seller told me he doesn't know what type of turbo it is, but maybe it's not OEM (it's hard to understand, he only speaks google translate english).And also, he doesn't want to take more pictures, so I am not taking the risk.

Thank you for your help.

hey guys back in April of 2020 I posted this turbo that was found to be a hybrid 17c off a Syclone/Typhoon, I only just now got around to getting wheel sizes for the impeller and turbine they are as followed

Turbine wheel
Inducer 65.10mm
exducer 55.31mm

Impeller wheel
Inducer 50.75mm
Exducer 75mm

If anyone has any more information that would be great, Justin was saying it looked like a frank L1 or L2 20G and could be determined by the exhaust wheel I believe So hopefully this helps!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nope. It uses a 46-trim T04E Garrett compressor that's been machined to fit a MHI shaft and MHI backplate spec. The cost of the compressor wheel, necessary machining, and rebuild/rebalance would outweigh the value of the turbo.

If it didn't have the elbow on the compressor outlet I could machine it for something a little larger, but it likely won't clear the bed rails on my lathe the way it is so I'd either need a way bigger machine than I have or one with a sliding gap...not to mention you'd still be paying for a different compressor wheel and housing machining so you're still in it for more than it's worth.

Help me ID this one. Just purchased the car, owner stated it was an MHI Evo III 16g but I have my doubts, there isn't a number etched into the compressor housing. Hopefully I don't have to take the v-band clamp off to i.d.

Thank you all in advance for your help
Mike

Help me ID this one. Just purchased the car, owner stated it was an MHI Evo III 16g but I have my doubts, there isn't a number etched into the compressor housing. Hopefully I don't have to take the v-band clamp off to i.d.

Thank you all in advance for your help
Additional pic:

UPDATE: Justin just confirmed its an EVOIII 16G, thanks!

Last edited:
@JusMX141, do you remember this turbo by any chance, since it has your initials on it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back